Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Helping others to help me help myself

Hello, first post
    Since as far back as I can remember, I have always wanted to help others. I have taken CPR and first aid classes, done CIT work, this and that, many cases neglecting my schoolwork, to insure that others were OK. Every once in a while, it helps. My friend group is raddled with mental health and physical health issues: some have severe depression, anxiety, one has spasms in his arms and legs, blah blah blah. I sometimes feel overwhelmed by my need to help (and my inability to do so), it gives me a reaction, in hindsight and second-hand knowledge, looked and felt very much like a panic attack.
    My question is:
    How can I better help my friends and peers with anxiety?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Ask them what would help them/ comfort them. Don't try to fix them, be with them, be a listening ear and learn to show empathy rather than sympathy. You don't have to find an answer or solution, acknowledge their thoughts feelings, fears, symptoms. Don't tell them they are wrong. If you can try to offer a positive way to look at a situation. Focus on achievements and strenghtd, no matter how small,
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You raise some great points.Its about being supportive to a sufferer no matter what their problems are.
    You cant teach someone to know what an illness feels like.Dont try to teach people to know what its like.Just ask for support.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.