Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote lethargic nomad View Post
    Aren't some diseases communicable through human breast milk? I know that's how many babies get HIV from their mothers. Not sure if pasteurization of the milk would fix that or not.

I drink mainly soy milk. Use it in my coffee and when eating cereal. At first it tasted funny to me but now I actually prefer soy milk to cow milk. I still eat dairy products though, such as cheese, sour cream, and ice cream. I'm pretty sure I have the mutation.

Ideally I'd like to cut out dairy and eggs in my diet for ethical reasons.
    Yep. Not just HIV, other diseases to. It's a similar reason that will prevent me from ever breastfeeding (I don't have HIV).

As for the pasteurisation...pass? I'd assume so (given that the process is there solely to kill bacteria). But maybe not. Not all microorganisms are killed by the process after all. And HIV is a virus I think, not a bacteria.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm not sure what to make of soy products because apparently it can interfere with thyroid function. Not sure if that's backed up by evidence but I have hypothyroidism so it's a little concerning.

I still have soy in smoothies I make. I prefer it to cow's milk because I think it goes better with fruit. But I don't want to rely on it if it's messing with my thyroid and I don't really like other plant based milks atm.

I'm pretty sure I have the mutation because even when I don't have dairy for extended periods, nothing changes, so I'm pretty sure it's not causing me any issues.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Antidote View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of soy products because apparently it can interfere with thyroid function. Not sure if that's backed up by evidence but I have hypothyroidism so it's a little concerning.

I still have soy in smoothies I make. I prefer it to cow's milk because I think it goes better with fruit. But I don't want to rely on it if it's messing with my thyroid and I don't really like other plant based milks atm.

I'm pretty sure I have the mutation because even when I don't have dairy for extended periods, nothing changes, so I'm pretty sure it's not causing me any issues.
    It's a myth http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newar...40114p52.shtml

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    WorriedWorried
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think you'd have to drink gallons of soy milk daily for there to be any effect.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    A review abstract from 2014: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24473985

The evidence on male fertility and reproductive hormones was conflicting; some studies demonstrated a deleterious impact caused by soy consumption and others showed no effect. Soy supplementation also appears to affect thyroid function in an inconsistent manner, as studies have shown both increases and decreases in the same parameters of thyroid activity. Soaking, fermentation, and heating may reduce problematic antinutrients contained in soy. The authors found that consuming moderate amounts of traditionally prepared and minimally processed soy foods may offer modest health benefits while minimizing potential for adverse health effects.
    And as for how much soy might cause hypothyroidism: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21325465
    They basically compared a group of people having the amount of soy you typically get on a Western diet (with 2 mg phytoestrogens, whatever that is), with a group having the amount of soy you typically get in many vegetarian diets (16 mg phytoestrogens):

CONCLUSION:
    There is a 3-fold increased risk of developing overt hypothyroidism with dietary supplementation of 16 mg soy phytoestrogens with subclinical hypothyroidism. However, 16-mg soy phytoestrogen supplementation significantly reduces the insulin resistance, hsCRP, and blood pressure in these patients.
    I think you need a dodgy thyroid to begin with for this to be an issue though.

When it comes to soy products I only really like soy milk, products made with soy milk, and soy sauce. But I don't think I'll ever have that much on a daily bases.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Yep. Not just HIV, other diseases to. It's a similar reason that will prevent me from ever breastfeeding (I don't have HIV).

As for the pasteurisation...pass? I'd assume so (given that the process is there solely to kill bacteria). But maybe not. Not all microorganisms are killed by the process after all. And HIV is a virus I think, not a bacteria.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
    Yes, it's a virus, but breast milk also passes immunity to the child. It has a lot of benefits - lactose intolerance for human milk is way different than cow milk, etc.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    What are the stats on goat milk?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.