Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

US to ship chicken to China and then China to ship it back...

Would you willingly eat chicken nuggets processed in a country that has no intention of meeting U.S. food-safety standards? Most Americans likely wouldn't.

That may explain why the U.S. Department of Agriculture waited until Friday -- the day before a long holiday weekend -- to announce that it had ended a ban on Chinese chicken imports by approving four Chinese poultry processors to ship processed ("heat-treated/cooked") chicken to the U.S. The report on the approved poultry plants noted that the audit set out to “to determine whether the People's Republic of China's (PRC) food safety system governing poultry processing remains equivalent to that of the United States (U.S.), with the ability to produce products that are safe, wholesome, unadulterated, and properly labeled." Needless to say, the Chinese plants passed.

Initially, at least, the chickens will be slaughtered in the U.S. (or another nation that's allowed to export slaughtered chicken to the U.S.), then shipped to China for processing and re-export. That’s the good news. The bad news is that, according to the New York Times, no USDA inspectors will be present in the Chinese processing plants (despite the fact that China has never before been allowed to export chicken to the U.S.), thus offering consumers no guarantees where the processed chickens were in fact slaughtered. Even worse, because the birds will be processed, the USDA will not require point-of-origin labeling (under USDA rules, foods that have been cooked aren’t subject to point-of-origin labeling). In other words: Consumers will have no way to tell if those chicken nuggets in the supermarket freezer were processed in the U.S. or in China.

That’s a big problem. For more than a decade, China has earned a reputation as one of the world’s worst food-safety offenders. In just the last year, consumers have been confronted with a bird flu outbreak, news of sales of 46-year-old chicken feet and reports of poisonous fake mutton. These are not isolated incidents, but rather the most spectacular instances of a crisis that has become so severe that some consumers now smuggle quantities of infant milk formula from foreign countries into China so as to avoid buying potentially tainted Chinese dairy products.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...ted-china.html
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just another reason to avoid eating processed garbage.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    why did the American people and to a lesser extent British people let corporations steal there democracy, why do people usually believe rich and powerful people and corporations, yet the they blame the poor for being poor and kick them when there down, benefits are a drain on the economy, but tax breaks/ tax evasion for rich people/ corporations are not, the system saddens me (sorry for the off topic rant)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote life View Post
    why did the American people and to a lesser extent British people let corporations steal there democracy, why do people usually believe rich and powerful people and corporations, yet the they blame the poor for being poor and kick them when there down, benefits are a drain on the economy, but tax breaks/ tax evasion for rich people/ corporations are not, the system saddens me (sorry for the off topic rant)
    Sadly, the truth about capitalism is that for one to be rich, many have to be poor. Which a lot of people believe to be "freedom". The ironic thing is that if we were to have a truly equal society, that would fail due to human greed. We can't seem to get it right at all. We were probably better off living in mud huts with bows and arrows and hunting for food tribal style.

Tax breaks and tax evasions for the rich people...well, take a look at how Greece managed to turn out with the middle class pretty much not having to pay any taxes at all.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

VickieKitties's Avatar Living irl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    No one should be surprised by the nastiness of chicken nuggets. Who's still eating them, after the whole pink slime thing? Upton Sinclair would still be appalled.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Sadly, the truth about capitalism is that for one to be rich, many have to be poor. Which a lot of people believe to be "freedom". The ironic thing is that if we were to have a truly equal society, that would fail due to human greed. We can't seem to get it right at all. We were probably better off living in mud huts with bows and arrows and hunting for food tribal style.

Tax breaks and tax evasions for the rich people...well, take a look at how Greece managed to turn out with the middle class pretty much not having to pay any taxes at all.
    we dont need a truly equal society, just a similar one that existed 1950's to 1979. the best time to be earning average wages and have the highest standard of living compared to the richest 10% was the sixties

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    About society tho....I've noticed what seems to be the core of human greed: they want to be the only one who has/does what they have. that in itself is THE most dangerous evil of humans. I guess they think that if everyone could do the same it won't make them look better than everyone else, or it won't mean as much......it's very childish. Might even lead to doom, cuz while the powerful fight over thier greed, our planet could see a disaster that coulda been avoided if they only gave up their fucking greed. Without it, we'd strive for progress...we'd have progressed in health, science and tech 1000 fold if now for all this shit.....who knows...

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Inscrutable Banana View Post
    Just another reason to avoid eating processed garbage.
    You can say that again. o_o

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Blech!!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Eh like whatever, I eat pork dim sum made in Thailand how can that be better than nuggets from China?? We already have poison in everything don't see what the big deal is.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post

..................But some people had bigger mud huts and more wives and cows....and probably better arrows.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Misssy View Post
    ..................But some people had bigger mud huts and more wives and cows....and probably better arrows.
    True, true. We never seem to get it right. There's always someone who wants more.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.