Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response)

Does anybody react to and/or use ASMR techniques for relaxation/mediation purposes?

Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response (ASMR) is a term used to describe a sensory experience characterized by a pleasant tingling sensation in the head and scalp, which can be triggered by sounds like whispering or brushing, and visual stimulus like painting or drawing. On YouTube, the phenomenon inspired the creation of “whisperer” videos, in which people attempt to trigger the viewer’s ASMR by speaking in a soft voice and making various sounds with inanimate objects.
    http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/autono...-response-asmr

An article on ASMR:
    Vice: ASMR, the Good Feeling No One Can Explain

I'll use this video as an example since it seems to be one of the most viewed ASMR videos on youtube:

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I don't know if I get ASMR. I do sometimes get a tingly / ticklish sensation in my scalp that spreads slowly if I pay attention to it. But I only get that rarely, when I wake up first thing in the morning. I'm not sure if that's the same thing. No video has ever come close to triggering that, and in fact I find ASMR videos annoyingly creepy.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    *Edit*

I looked it up on wiki. I think in fact that tingling sensation I get is probably some mild ASMR. It feels like pleasurable tingling, but also has like a deep internal / ticklish sensation which drives me nuts if it gets strong enough because it's kind of fun but irritating at the same time, like being tickled for real. I think that's why the videos are so irritating to me, it's like I feel tickled without the tingle. And I just want it to stop. I can't really explain this...

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

This one triggers it most for me.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Equinox View Post
    Does anybody react to and/or use ASMR techniques for relaxation/mediation purposes?

I get a negative response from certain materials. That video makes me feel warm inside because it feels real

edit : I like the hair one and the vinal with the fingernails. I like how vinal sounds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNevylNQQ4

kc1895's Avatar KFC Hipster
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Equinox View Post

I'll use this video as an example since it seems to be one of the most viewed ASMR videos on youtube:
    I'm sorry but that video gave me an extremely negative reaction. That lady was speaking so quietly, I can barely hear her aside from the saliva swishing around as she pronounced her words. Her accent also made me think she was deaf or hearing impaired, although I am sure it is part of the technique. I just had a really negative reaction against her. Also when she took out her brush, then chuckled and teased the bristles, I couldn't help but laugh because it reminded me of the beginning of an adult movie.

I also cannot stand the sliding puzzle making those noises, makes me feel very aggressive towards it. *sigh*

I'm going back to squeezing my stress ball and throwing it hard against the wall.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote kc1895 View Post
    I'm sorry but that video gave me an extremely negative reaction. That lady was speaking so quietly, I can barely hear her aside from the saliva swishing around as she pronounced her words. Her accent also made me think she was deaf or hearing impaired, although I am sure it is part of the technique. I just had a really negative reaction against her. Also when she took out her brush, then chuckled and teased the bristles, I couldn't help but laugh because it reminded me of the beginning of an adult movie.

I also cannot stand the sliding puzzle making those noises, makes me feel very aggressive towards it. *sigh*

I'm going back to squeezing my stress ball and throwing it hard against the wall.
    Its not for everyone. Apparently it only works on a small percentage of the population.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.