Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Scum Village" - Where Amsterdam Plans to Send Troublesome Neighbors

Amsterdam is to create "Scum villages" where nuisance neighbours and anti-social tenants will be exiled from the city and rehoused in caravans or containers with "minimal services" under constant police supervision.
    Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/amste...#ixzz2EVHxh3i6

I don't want to lead the debate, so I'll share my opinion later. However, I can imagine what the general opinion will be on this.

So what do you guys think about this idea?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Ok, well without reading your link or watching the clip, just on what I have heard on the radio this is so messed up - Good luck with breaking the cycle
    life---> <---me

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Looks like they're creating a ghetto. Can't see how they think that'll lead to anything good.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Much as I love Cenk and Ana and watch TYT on CurrentTV, I would have to research to see how validity there is to this story.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The story uses the phrase "right-winger" rather wildly.

Geert Wilders is a nationalist, not a free-marketeer, but in America, right-wingers are hardly nationalist at all. Heck, they deliberately take pride in the melting pot as a rationale for rugged individualism.

On top of that, they say this is about Muslims who are some of the most conservative personalities around. I can't seriously believe that Muslim reservations would be qualified as anti-social... unless they're using a liberal definition for what "anti-social" means. For example, Muslims don't believe in wearing revealing clothing and have a disciplined prayer regiment. Is it anti-social to be reserved in what you wear and not participate in regular community activities?

Furthermore, why is a woman complaining about this? If anything, she should be glad that Muslims are being shipped off to scum village who treat women so poorly. Heck, I remember recently that there was a "right-wing" campaign in neighboring Belgium that was trying to support Muslim women celebrating their bodies:

http://www.right-world.net/en/news/1809

It's just a very bizarrely reported story. It should be no surprise that "The Young Turks" would confuse multiculturalism so badly. They give the labor mayor very token mentioning as well.

I don't like how they blatantly swear either. It makes them seem extremely unprofessional.

Not that I support professionalism, but they seem to be trying to be politically correct, so it makes them seem incredibly hypocritical. We're supposed to respect cultural sensitivity despite how they're not?

Then, they call it a ghetto to compare them against the Nazis.

Why... are Turks... complaining about the treatment of Muslims... while using a word associated with Jews?

Just why.......?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As a Dutch person, let me put things in perspective. The plan basically is, when a certain neighbourhood is terrorised by one or a few individuals, to force those individuals to move away instead of letting things go on for so long that the victims decide to move elsewhere, as happens frequently now. However, there will not be entire 'villages' or something. These are only measurements to be taken in very severe circumstances and the convicts will only stay there for half a year so there will never be enough of them to fill an entire village with. You could say it's a light form of prison punishment.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with Geert Wilders' 'scum villages'. Wilders is an extremely controversial populist who in one of his troubled moods came up with the plan to move everyone who commits a light crime to specially designed villages and to isolate them entirely, which is something totally different from the Amsterdam plan. Also, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Muslims. I'm not sure why the poster above me came up with the Muslims debate, but it's an entirely different issue. True, Mr. Wilders uses anti-islam propaganda as one of the main pillars of his party, but Mr. Van der Laan, the mayor of Amsterdam, is definitely not anti-muslim and this entire plan had nothing to do with Muslims in the first place. So it's a little out of place to involve them in the debate.
    All in all I think this whole thing is pretty exaggerated. There hardly was any attention for this in our national media so it surprises me it made it all the way to this international forum. I think the coverage was rather oversimplified and the plan is not half as radical as it is presented.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Daniel C View Post
    As a Dutch person, let me put things in perspective. The plan basically is, when a certain neighbourhood is terrorised by one or a few individuals, to force those individuals to move away instead of letting things go on for so long that the victims decide to move elsewhere, as happens frequently now. However, there will not be entire 'villages' or something. These are only measurements to be taken in very severe circumstances and the convicts will only stay there for half a year so there will never be enough of them to fill an entire village with. You could say it's a light form of prison punishment.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with Geert Wilders' 'scum villages'. Wilders is an extremely controversial populist who in one of his troubled moods came up with the plan to move everyone who commits a light crime to specially designed villages and to isolate them entirely, which is something totally different from the Amsterdam plan. Also, this has nothing whatsoever to do with Muslims. I'm not sure why the poster above me came up with the Muslims debate, but it's an entirely different issue. True, Mr. Wilders uses anti-islam propaganda as one of the main pillars of his party, but Mr. Van der Laan, the mayor of Amsterdam, is definitely not anti-muslim and this entire plan had nothing to do with Muslims in the first place. So it's a little out of place to involve them in the debate.
    All in all I think this whole thing is pretty exaggerated. There hardly was any attention for this in our national media so it surprises me it made it all the way to this international forum. I think the coverage was rather oversimplified and the plan is not half as radical as it is presented.
    Right. That's what I thought. The reporting on the issue seemed way off topic, and I couldn't understand why they took that angle.

Thanks for clarifying the issue. :-)

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.