Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Article: Professor Nutt Is Still Fighting Against the UK's 'Moronic' Drugs Laws

Article: Professor Nutt Is Still Fighting Against the UK's 'Moronic' Drugs Laws

Nothing illuminates the gaping chasm between political and public opinion quite like the war on drugs. With over half of British people saying that the government’s approach to illegal drugs is ineffective, and even Commons MPs saying we should look into decriminalization, it’s a wonder that they haven’t just got on with it yet. But for British politicians, taking a stance on drugs is kind of like taking drugs: no one wants to be the first one at the party to suggest it.

And yet when Professor David Nutt merely put forth scientific evidence suggesting that – gee, I don’t know – maybe the drug classification system should accurately reflect the actual danger levels of each drug, he was sacked from his position as the government's chief drug adviser. (Nutt had the temerity to report that, statistically, ecstasy and LSD are less dangerous than alcohol.) As if getting fired for literally doing his job wasn’t bad enough, he’s also been the victim of some serious misrepresentation in the tabloids since.

I visited Professor Nutt's office at Imperial College, London to see what it feels like to be the face of drug reform in the UK. (Interview in article)

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    imho make them all legal, shame there are to many vested interests involved eg police, law profession, ministers

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    They wanted to put drugs on the NHS-avalibille on prescription. I can see that as a way of a controlling it, but why I supposed to fund a junkies heroin addict when I struggle enough with this health service as it is, I do not know.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    They wanted to put drugs on the NHS-avalibille on prescription. I can see that as a way of a controlling it, but why I supposed to fund a junkies heroin addict when I struggle enough with this health service as it is, I do not know.
    addiction is an illness, imho that is reason enough

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote life View Post
    addiction is an illness, imho that is reason enough
    I know addiction is an illness, I didn't mean it like that. If it's avalibille on prescription, it should be as a last resort, after they've tried rehab, detox. If you go to a GP today with a heroin addiction, they'll give you a methadone script. I'm just not okay with people who aren't doing anything about there problems, denying they have a problem, and thinking "[BEEP] it. I'm gonna go to doctor and get some heroin cheaply and I don't care about coming off."
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    imho, reduction of harm should be the main priority, if a person stays on heroin and has a job, and is a responsible parent, i cant see the problem for a few pounds a week, heroin (medical so its of known quality) not methadone

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If over half the people in the UK are against the current drug laws why don't they change them? Marijauna is legal in my state, but the police in many towns have placed a moratoriam on marijauna. It's like law enforcement is above the law.
    I don't get a signature.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.