Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Over 25's only Does it get better?

Over 25's

Have your anxieties/ agoraphobia improved over the last 10 years? Do you run at the same level of anxiety now that you did when you were late teens/early twenties? Has anything improved? Do you feel you blend in more easily? Does it get better?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, and no.

I've more come at ease with my anxiety, but it still gets pretty bad. The depression isn't the same, though.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's a rocky road one minute you think your doing so much better. The next it's horrid again.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the replies.
    What do you think helps you the most?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Fizzy Doom View Post
    Over 25's

Have your anxieties/ agoraphobia improved over the last 10 years? Do you run at the same level of anxiety now that you did when you were late teens/early twenties? Has anything improved? Do you feel you blend in more easily? Does it get better?
    I started therapy at 24 and my severe SP episode occurred at 29 - but there has been significant improvement for me over the last 8-9 years. People who have known me the entire notice the difference - it's that dramatic.

Does it get better? Yes. BUT, it takes WORK and getting through the initial nerves - working through them. It's not easy to undo our fears, but it has to be done.

We actually end up being examples to others just by what we learn!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think my anxieties have improved the most over the last year, I was able to get a job which means leaving the house everyday and facing my anxieties which with practise is getting better, dont think I'll ever be free from anxiety. Maybe its age related that has helped me along with coming on forums and reading up on anxiety on the internet.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i think if you are looking for a cure then you are going to be disappointed. recovering from depression and anxiety disorders is about management not curing. the day of diagosis was not the doomsday a lot of people think it is. it is the first day of recovery. we have felt the way we feel for years in some cases. now it has a name and something can be done about it. the key for me is/was releasing my attachments to my expectations and mindfulness. there are some interesting videos about it on www.ted.com especially a couple by andy pudicombe and jon kabat-zinn

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the part that got better for me with age was that I became less interested in conforming or coming across as 'normal' to people. I'm 26 now.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's gotten much more difficult to manage, for me....but then I've got kind of a strange history with it. Up until a year ago, I was doing much, much better. I was off all my meds. I was going out. I had friends. I had a really good job. Now it's all gone, I've sort of regressed back to a lower place than I've ever been. I've done a complete 180. It's a big deal when I leave my apartment now. I have no friends, zero, none. I can't hold a job. I'm very agoraphobic, I don't leave my apartment unless I'm pretty much forced to.I'm struggling. Maybe it will get better, but right now I can't seem to get a handle on this stuff. I can't seem to deal with things the way most people my age do. You'd think it would get easier with age but that's not the case with me. I'm on more meds now than I have ever been in my entire life.
    Bereavement is a darkness impenetrable to the imagination of the unbereaved. ~Iris Murdoch

Your girlfriend's silence might be her loudest scream.

If you still have more dreams than regrets, congratulations. You haven't gotten old yet.

Spend every moment like it's your last. Hug her, kiss her, hold her, like it's the last time that you ever will. Because it might be.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My anxiety has diminished A LOT compared from ten years ago. The biggest factor in this is less pressure to fit in and be cool, mid twenties are when people start to get tired of the party lifestyle and settle down, along with that comes a greater understanding of others circumstances and choice of lifestyle...usually. I don't feel the need to "go out there and be somebody" either. I have a greater comprehension of life's scope and transience.

Things I've greatly improved upon: eye contact, smalltalk, answering the phone, going to new places, and confronting anxiety provoking situations. That's what it was all about for me, acceptance of my anxiety and the willingness to experience and try to manage it instead of avoiding everything. Over years the knowledge gained from those small battles added up and made me into a tougher person.

No one can say if it'll get better for you. For some it does, some it doesn't. I think if you're willing to fight it though, there's a very good chance you'll improve.

JaneDoe's Avatar My So-Called Self
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm MUCH better now than I was 10 years ago. Most of that is because of medication, but it's also because of maturing as a person and becoming more okay with myself.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Some things get better with age, medication also helps. But as you age different problems arise to stress you out and to make you anxious and depressed. I guess life is like a merry go round of disappointment.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I agree with tanassg that medication can be a big help but like he said something can happen like people making comments that upset u when you are out somewhere.That can have a huge negative effect on your confidence and make u want to hide in your room and not face anyone for a while.
    FOREVER FLOATING LIKE A SHADOW THROUGH THE DARKNESS

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Sorry, but I think it becomes worse.

Career pressures increase, work relationships become more important.

There are higher expectations for mature people than there are for youth. Younger people get more sympathy or excuses than older people do. And people DO FALL back on that concept of saying to youth, "Oh well you have a long time to figure it out/sort it out"

It gets worse in my opinion. When I was younger my anxiety led me to do interesting things actually hobbies and such. Now I don't have time for those things etc.

I could hang out and be a wall flower-ish type of person when I was younger, doesn't work anymore. I felt like I was in my own little insulated world when young, now I feel like I have no insulation against life at all.

Also the people who don't have anxiety and related problems are getting on with their lives...and it becomes harder to relate to those people as their lives progress normally...and mine really doesn't.

The anxiety itself seems to get worse in the late 20's....at least that has been the case for both me and my brother.

I suspect that it depends on what caused the anxiety in the first place.

For both me and my brother we have had a hard time with finding our paths in life, becoming our own independent people etc.

When I had a good job I thought I was doing okay, except that I had no personal life to speak of...and then when I lost that job a can of worms exploded...and then it kind of snowballed with the anxiety etc. Other people they might go through a job problem but then they get back on their feet again...I always have trouble with the part about standing up again and getting on with life.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    At 31, things have got a lot better for me. After my accident 3 years ago and some other stuff, it felt like I'd been thrown backwards. Like I had to start all over again getting my confidence up, overcoming anxiety and fears. But I noticed that fear was making many decisions in my life for me: can't go to this place or talk to those people because what if this or that happens....? I got sick of that. I feared getting hurt but there is a bigger pain of missing out and life is short. I may as well give things a go even if they did terrify me or make me worry.

It's not your age that matters so much as what you do. Do not misunderstand me. I know how hard anxiety and depression can be to fight against. I really do. And life can suck sometimes. We can't always be in charge of our own fate. It's just that you can give yourself as much of a fighting chance as you possibly can. If meds help, get meds. See a therapist, see your doctor and take back as much control of your life as you can. Because life is short. Do you want a box full of memories or a box full of regrets?

So many of us think we have to wait till the anxiety isn't there to live. But it's not what we feel that matters so much as what we do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.