Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Going places alone?

When you have social phobia and no friends, how do you cope with going places alone? I can go to the gas station or grocery store but I have a very difficult time going to other places by myself. I have thought about going to a movie several times by myself but never have. I have gone to the mall by myself, but it made me very depressed and upset, and to top it off when I was leaving some men were harrassing me in the parking lot.

It's just weird to go places alone
    Beating anxiety this year

Lunaire's Avatar Consumer of Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    AmusedAmused
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Awe, I'm sorry to hear that you have such a hard time going places alone.

I can somewhat relate with not wanting to go out to some places alone. Watching a movie in theaters alone for example just seems kind of sad to me, I'm not sure why.

What is it that specifically makes you dislike being out alone?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tend to visit places that are a bit secluded, or places that aren't crowded early in the morning.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    WorriedWorried
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can do shopping or errands alone. I actually prefer shopping for clothes alone. That way I can go as fast or slow as I want to. When you go with someone else to the mall you have wait for the other person all the time. And you feel pressured to go through some stores quickly because your friend is bored.

Can't be bothered to do fun stuff alone though, like go to a museum, street fair, hiking, concerts, etc.

When I was living abroad I did go to nightclubs alone. But at clubs usually various people try to talk to you, so you aren't exactly alone.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    I definitely want to start doing things on my own. Tonght there was a full moon rising paddle board meet up at the river/lagoon and it sounds phenominal! sp

I couldn't go because i'm sick at the moment but these are the things i am literally dying to do. Can you even imagine how intimate, peaceful and magical it would have been to have a full moon paddle board session in the lagoon with our dolphins and manatees????

YES. i want to do more things by myself. one of them is writing in these posts.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I'm fine with doing chore type stuff on my own (post office / library / supermarket / pharmacy etc). I have gone to the movies alone once a few years ago. Tbh, from memory I enjoyed it more than going with someone because sometimes I worry that the other person isn't enjoying the movie, especially if it was my idea. I decided to see this movie alone because it was known for its cinematography, which is something I seek out, and I kind of wanted to see it alone anyway, in a mostly empty cinema to enjoy it properly... so that's what I did. Haven't been inspired to go to the movies alone since though. With the movie thing, aim to go to a session which is an unpopular time, sometimes cinemas are practically empty. Also, quite a few people do like going to the movies alone, so I doubt they're going to think you're weird.

I can shop, and eat out alone with minimal self-consciousness usually. I can go to places like parks or beaches, and walk around, eat or sit. I like to jog but don't really like jogging in public because it makes me self-conscious. I'm not very interested in concerts or crowded venues. I'd either be self-conscious or irritated depending on what it's like. But if I really wanted to go for some reason, I'd just force myself go for the experience, even if it ends up being regrettable.

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote JamieWAgain View Post
    I couldn't go because i'm sick at the moment but these are the things i am literally dying to do. Can you even imagine how intimate, peaceful and magical it would have been to have a full moon paddle board session in the lagoon with our dolphins and manatees????
    Yeah actually that sounds fcking amazing.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If I didn't go do things alone, I'd never do anything. I'm used to it. Only thing I avoid doing alone is travelling. I really want to visit so many places, but just have no desire to do it by myself.

Yeah, I usually also just get in, do what I need to do, and get out without lingering.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.