Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Why does the universe smell so bad?

30 MARCH 2017
    The sight of the universe inspires wonder. The smell of it, though, might prompt other reactions. Joel F. Hooper explains.

Smell is perhaps our most mysterious sense.

It can trigger memories and link us to specific times and places. It?s not surprising that we often wonder what distant and exotic places would smell like, from the frequent mention of odour in Gulliver?s Travels to Professor Farnsworth?s Smell-O-Scope in Futurama.

So, setting aside the practical problems of trying to take a lungful of vacuum, what would it be like to get a whiff of the sparse gases and particles that occupy deep space?

If we turn our nose to Sagittarius B2, a cloud of gas about 390 light years from the centre of the Milky Way, we would encounter a host of olfactory delights. Almost every chemical that has been detected in space can be found there.

More:
    https://cosmosmagazine.com/space/why...e-smell-so-bad
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Lmao.

I work with a guy that seriously needs to use more deodorant. He's contributing to this problem. He's a store manager at one of my 160 stores, so thank the gods I'm not around him much, but....oh my god it's bad, he really smells.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.