Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Adrenaline rushes

are adrenaline rushes dangerous? the other day i had someone confront me for a fight in public and my heart started to beat really fast and my adrenaline got maxed out for a few minutes, after the event i felt my legs were stiff from it as i was walking.

I googled and many sites say adrenaline rushes are bad for your heart, and many other sites say the opposite, that its a normal thing and your body is protecting you.

So what is it guys?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    When it comes to anxiety? Relatively harmless. Adrenaline is a normal thing. As I'm sure you found out, when the body is faced with danger, it enters "flight or fight" mode, and will either attempt to run from the danger, or fight off the danger. As such, the adrenaline allows the person to be faster/stronger in order to survive.

Sure, I suppose if you have an underlying heart condition of some kind they may be a problem (and if you're worried about that, then a doctor could tell you if that's the case or not, although it would be unlikely). But the amount of adrenaline released would not be a danger to a healthy heart.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote London28 View Post
    are adrenaline rushes dangerous? the other day i had someone confront me for a fight in public and my heart started to beat really fast and my adrenaline got maxed out for a few minutes, after the event i felt my legs were stiff from it as i was walking.

I googled and many sites say adrenaline rushes are bad for your heart, and many other sites say the opposite, that its a normal thing and your body is protecting you.

So what is it guys?

I believe it can cause damage to the body, but only if on a very consistent basis, as if for example, my ex used to mentally abuse me VERY seriously. I went into such mode as well as severe stress and agony to the point it was 24/7 before I escaped a bloody mess when my sociopathic ex got minions to beat the crap outta me....my heart suffered damage as a result and I was warned about it by doctors, but I got better once I got into a better life and got chance to heal in safety.

So no, unless its something to such a severe point, it shouldn't be harmful unless perhaps if one had a serious heart condition from the start, and even then prolly unlikely unless frequent.

CeCe's Avatar Diamond Girl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HappyHappy
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Adrenaline rushes themselves are neither good nor bad. It depends on what you do when you have an adrenaline rush, and/or how you got the adrenaline rush. Illegal drug use is not a good way to get an adrenaline rush. Shooting the winning goal in a hockey game is good. Some ways I suppose can be neutral. Also, how you use it: adrenaline kicks into your system and immediately your body goes into what is known as "fight or flight". A choice is made and based on the situation, you can react in an agressive manner or back down and be passive.

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I agree adrenaline rushes are neither good nor bad, but, it depends on the situation. The last real adrenalin rush I remember feeling (one that was big enough to scare me) was when I totaled my car a few months ago. I hit a concrete barrier going about 50 - 60 mph. The adrenaline rush was so big after the crash that I didn't even feel any of my injuries until much later. I was loaded into an ambulance and I really had no idea that I even needed an ambulance at the time. I was sore for weeks afterward. But the adrenaline kept me from even feeling like I was injured at the time. (thank god no one else was hurt).

I don't think they're bad for you, unless you get them all the time for some reason. I get them sometimes from anxiety, but I wouldn't say they're really all that bad. An adrenaline rush vs. really bad anxiety....sometimes to me there is really not much difference there. But I usually don't get it too badly, nothing I can't manage.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    thanks everyone.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    In short because I'm typing on my phone and I hate typing on my phone. It depends on what you do with the rush. As cave people the flight or fright response was a protective one and the adrenaline was usually used up in the body through physical exercise e.g. running away from a dangerous animal. As our lives get more sedentary and stressful we don't use the release of adrenaline and this causes us to become more stressed and anxious. This is one reason why exercise helps with stress. We know built up stress can negatively affect our physical health. This would be over a period of time, not a once of like you described.
    life---> <---me

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.