Thread: Hatred

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Hatred

In a world that is so polarized, I've read some pretty horrible remarks from people. In one instance, I merely commented a thank you on a video and was called the filthiest name from a stranger.

1) Do you feel that hatred was always here in our genetic make-up or do you think it is a learned behavior?

2) What do you think is the purpose of hatred?

3) Why do you think people choose hatred over calm, rational thinking that aids in understanding an opposite view?
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    1) Do you feel that hatred was always here in our genetic make-up or do you think it is a learned behavior?

I believe a bit of both. I wonder if we are programmed for survival and therefore are wired to defend ourselves for survival. But then I have seen senseless hatred by people who believe racist or sexist or homophobic things because their parents or friends believe it.

I wonder if hatred gives a sense if power to people who feel powerless in a situation. It may also be a defense mechanism when they are afraid or feel threatened. Just wondering.

3) Why do you think people choose hatred over calm, rational thinking that aids in understanding an opposite view?

I don't think people choose to hate. I wonder if it's a knee jerk reaction that was set off as a trigger. Like I wonder if most hatred is after a person was triggered by something that happened in their childhood when they felt powerless and so they react like a child who would say "hate" rather than react calmly and maturely.

Any thoughts?
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    I think hatred is a waste of time. The person who hates holds the bad feelings. The other person, the one they are hating, feels nothing at all. So why hate? It will only make you feel worse. Can't think of anybody I hate at all. I simply let things go. On the net you have keyboard warriors. They don't have to be seen. Easy to type up anything bad. They are all over the net. They simply seek reaction. That is what makes them feel good about themselves. So ignore them. Don't feed them what they want you to feed them. Which is a reaction.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    1 - Bit of both. Mostly though, I'd say its a learned behaviour.

2 - I agree with you there, some sort of a defense mechanism. A "this person is dangerous, avoid or fight" kind of thing. I don't know.

3 - I don't know, I'm quick to anger sometimes and easily hold grudges for a long time in against those who have wronged me. Wish I didn't. It's hardly pleasant hating someone for what they did or holding grudges.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Chantellabella View Post

I believe a bit of both. I wonder if we are programmed for survival and therefore are wired to defend ourselves for survival. But then I have seen senseless hatred by people who believe racist or sexist or homophobic things because their parents or friends believe it.

I wonder if hatred gives a sense if power to people who feel powerless in a situation. It may also be a defense mechanism when they are afraid or feel threatened. Just wondering.

I don't think people choose to hate. I wonder if it's a knee jerk reaction that was set off as a trigger. Like I wonder if most hatred is after a person was triggered by something that happened in their childhood when they felt powerless and so they react like a child who would say "hate" rather than react calmly and maturely.

Any thoughts?
    I don't think it's a learned behavior. Imo, if you put a white kid in a sand box with a black kid, they're going to be friends. Probably for life. If....you put them in there together before all the hate and discrimination and lies in this world gets to them. That's a big "If".

I don't know what the purpose of hatred is. I just posted a pretty hateful thing about one of my clients. It's really, really difficult imo to love someone that does nothing but spew hate. I guess if you can tolerate hatred from people then you're a better man than I am. I just....can't tolerate that much.

I think people choose hatred over calm because it's easy. It's your gut instinct. Calm is not, imo the normal reaction. When someone does you wrong your first instinct is to lash out, right?

Think about someone lashing out at your child, or your gf / bf, or your lover. Man, my first instinct is to protect them. It's not even a question, or a decision that I have to make.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Both. I don't think it has to be either/or but both/and. We have a response ready to go to hate certain things, that is genetic, but what those things are is learned IMO. I remember reading about the Rwandan genocide, that the two groups involved in the 'ethnic' conflict, the Tutsis and the Hutus, were different by some random facial characteristic that some imperial power imposed on the Rwandans to divide and conquer them. The European imperial power decided it would be easier to rule them if there was a sub-class of people, and this sub-class was randomly decided by something like....I wanna say the width of their nose. Completely made up physiognomy, but we see the same in eugenics in the US in the past and Nazi Germany.

Like any other emotion its purpose is to ensure survival. Read Darwin's work "On Emotion" or something like that and he goes into more detail than I care for.

Not sure if it's a conscious choice or more a subconscious default setting. People have to learn mindfulness and loving attitudes toward those they consider "different" enough to be hated.

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    1. I think hatred is a learned behavior and can be un-done, with compassion, and kindness from others (however; there are certain people that are psychopaths; and their 'hate' is a different type).

2. I don't think there is any real purpose for hatred... it's an extreme form of frustration, anger, or confusion.

3.. It's an emotion response; it can be part of cycle of grief as a temporary thing, it can be even natural in some aspects. Some people just get 'stuck in that mindset' and unable to get help to not feel hate?

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.