Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Finish your antibiotics course? Maybe not, experts say

From phys.org ... it seems like the advice to take all your antibiotics may not be correct. It's just one study, but I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes accepted sooner rather than later. The authors state that the current advice "was not evidence-based and is incorrect."

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-...s-experts.html

But the new paper, which analysed established links between treatment duration and effectiveness, and drug resistance, said there was no evidence for the idea that shorter treatment is inferior, or will trigger antibiotic resistance.

"When a patient takes antibiotics for any reason, antibiotic sensitive species and strains among (microorganisms) on their skin or gut or in the environment are replaced by resistant species and strains ready to cause infection in the future," the team explained.

The longer the antibiotic exposure, the bigger the foothold resistant species will gain. These resistant strains can be transmitted directly between people who have no symptoms of illness.
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    It's only a matter of time until antibiotics don't work and we go back to the dark ages IMO.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I've always stopped before the recommended amount because I hoard them for six months in case it comes back. That way I can skip a Dr visit again. I'm sure that's illegal or somethimg, but a poor person has to do what a poor person needs to do for survival.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.