Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    @Chantellabella

I may set up a small telescope with filters. BUT there are a lot of forest fires burning all around me here in the west. Right now outside, it is basically overcast. but with smoke and ash, not clouds. Smells like a camp fire everywhere. I fear if there is not a wind change, or serious containment on the fires. I will be stuck with a smoky sky

Just make sure to get a cheap pair of eclipse viewing glasses. (like cardboard 3d glasses but with filters to protect your eyes)
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    I so want to head down to Bowling Green KY or just south. That'd be worth taking a vacation day.....or two.
    Even here at home, the sun will be 91% covered.

I remember having an eclipse that was over 50% around 1986-1987 and thought it was surreal - a clear/sunny day with the eclipse. I used the pinhole camera method and it does work!! I remember them saying there would be a total eclipse in 2017 way back then....and that "I will be 42 then!"

Well guess what.....we're here!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    no u mean the moon lines up with the sun what are the odds of that

A solar eclipse happens when the moon passes in front of the sun and casts its shadow somewhere on Earth. The chances of a solar eclipse depend on a number of factors related to the movement of these three bodies. By tracking this complex movement, scientists can predict the time, location, duration and type of eclipse. Between two and five solar eclipses occur each year.

Types of Eclipses

The three main types of solar eclipse are total, annular and partial. A total eclipse occurs when the moon is close to Earth; its apparent disk in the sky can block out the entire disk of the sun when it passes in front of it. An annular eclipse occurs when the moon is slightly farther away from the Earth, such that its apparent disk does not cover the entire disk of the sun. During an annular eclipse, we still see a portion of the sun's disk around that of the moon. A partial eclipse occurs when only part of the disk of the moon passes in front of the sun. A fourth, and rare, type is the hybrid eclipse. The hybrid eclipse involves both a total and annular eclipse.
    Motion of the Moon

As the moon rotates around the Earth, it travels in an ellipse. At any given time, it will variably be closer and farther from Earth. The moon's closest point to Earth is called perigee. Its farthest point is apogee. This variation in distance affects the type of eclipse that will occur, if one does. At perigee, we might see a total eclipse, because the moon will be larger in the sky. At apogee, we might see an annular eclipse, as the moon appears smaller.
    The Ecliptic

The ecliptic is the line in the sky that is traversed by the bodies of our solar system. We see the sun move across the ecliptic. The moon's path, however, is slightly inclined relative to the ecliptic. It is only directly in front of the sun at the two points where its path intersects the ecliptic. This is one of the reasons we don't see a solar eclipse at every new moon.
    Motion of the Earth

The Earth, similarly, orbits the sun in an ellipse, so the sun's disk in the sky varies in size as well. When the Earth is closest to the sun, the Earth is at perihelion. When the Earth is farthest from the sun, the Earth is at aphelion. At perihelion, we are likelier to witness an annular eclipse. At aphelion, we might be able to see a total eclipse.

Eclipse Cycles and Prediction

Because all of these bodies move with regularity, scientists can construct a cyclical eclipse calendar. The three determining factors in this cycle are the time between new moons, the time between perigees, and the time between moments where the moon crosses the ecliptic. All three of these intervals align every 18 years, 11 months and 8 hours. This cycle of time is called a Saros. Each Saros lasts roughly 12 to 13 centuries, and produces between 69 and 86 eclipses of various types. Typically, about 40 active Saros cycles are in effect at a time, which translates to at least two solar eclipses a year. At most, five solar eclipses may occur in a year, though this is fairly rare.

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    @Sagan wow that is real cool thx so much i hope i see one

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    I so want to head down to Bowling Green KY or just south. That'd be worth taking a vacation day.....or two.
    Even here at home, the sun will be 91% covered.

I remember having an eclipse that was over 50% around 1986-1987 and thought it was surreal - a clear/sunny day with the eclipse. I used the pinhole camera method and it does work!! I remember them saying there would be a total eclipse in 2017 way back then....and that "I will be 42 then!"

Well guess what.....we're here!
    b careful bowling green massacre LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Green_massacre

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    b careful bowling green massacre LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowling_Green_massacre
    If people aren't careful, the only thing lost will be their eyesight. Eye protection is a MUST!

The total eclipse will "time peak" in southern Illinois and will last a grand total of two minutes and 40 seconds. Southern KY/Northwest TN will be slightly shorter than that.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    First time in 99 years: US total solar eclipse on 21 August excites scientists

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...tes-scientists

First time in 99 years: US total solar eclipse on 21 August excites scientists

Entire US will fall into shadow as eclipse passes, with darkest path, or ‘totality’, contained in 70-mile (113km) ribbon from Oregon to South Carolina

Associated Press Saturday 5 August 2017 22.39 EDT Last modified on Saturday 5 August 2017 22.55 EDT

The sun, moon and Earth will line up perfectly in the cosmos on 21 August, turning day into night for a few wondrous minutes, its path crossing the US from sea to shining sea for the first time in nearly a century. Never will a total solar eclipse be so heavily viewed and studied or celebrated. "We’re going to be looking at this event with unprecedented eyes,” promises Alex Young, a solar physicist who is coordinating Nasa’s education and public outreach.

And the party planning is at full tilt from Oregon to South Carolina. Eclipse fests, StarFests, SolarFests, SolFests, Darkening of the SunFests, MoonshadowFests, EclipseCons, Eclipse Encounters and Star Parties are planned along the long but narrow path of totality, where the moon completely blots out the sun. Vineyards, breweries, museums, parks, universities, stadiums and just about everybody is getting into the act.
    (snip)

Scientists are also going gaga. “This is a really amazing chance to just open the public’s eyes to wonder,” says Montana State University’s Angela Des Jardins, a physicist in charge of a Nasa eclipse ballooning project. The student-launched, high-altitude balloons will beam back live video of the eclipse along the route. atellites and ground telescopes will also aim at the sun and at the moon’s shadow cutting a swath 60 to 70 miles wide (97 to 113km) across the land. Astronauts will do the same with cameras aboard the International Space Station. Ships and planes will also catch the action. “It’s going to be hard to beat, frankly,” says Thomas Zurbuchen, head of Nasa’s science mission office.

At the same time, researchers and the just plain curious will watch how animals and plants react as darkness falls. It will resemble twilight and the temperature will drop 10 to 15 degrees.
    (snip)

Expect four hours of pageantry, from the time the sun begins to be eclipsed by the moon near Lincoln City, Oregon, until the time the moon’s shadow vanishes near Charleston, South Carolina. The total eclipse will last just 90 minutes as the lunar shadow sweeps coast to coast at more than 1,500mph (2,400kph) beginning about 1.15pm EDT and ending at 2.49pm EDT. The sun’s crown, the normally invisible outer atmosphere known as the corona, will shine like a halo.
    (snip)

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    I thought if the earth had no sunlight then everything would be dead... if the moon blocks the sun... should we be scared?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Life doesn't cease to exist during the night time. An eclipse only blocks out the sun for a couple minutes at most, over a very small area at a time. It moves along a strip, or path as the day progresses. The sun is only completely blocked out at the center of this strip, called totality. An area about 15 miles wide.

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Sagan View Post
    Life doesn't cease to exist during the night time. An eclipse only blocks out the sun for a couple minutes at most, over a very small area at a time. It moves along a strip, or path as the day progresses.

O I thought life existed at night from the moonlight. Interesting!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Hey now. Play nice.

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Sagan View Post
    Hey now. Play nice.
    Sorry did I say something wrong

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    @CloudMaker

No of course not. I'm just being friendly. I apologize if I came off rude or otherwise. I have no negative thoughts towards you are anyone.

Again, i apologize if I offended you. That was never my intention what so ever.

"The sky calls to us

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Sagan View Post
    @CloudMaker

No of course not. I'm just being friendly. I apologize if I came off rude or otherwise. I have no negative thoughts towards you are anyone.

Again, i apologize if I offended you. That was never my intention what so ever.
    Ok good I'm glad I like your posts they are cool : )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.