Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hurricane Irma

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    There are still some roads closed here, roads that just completely screw this city's traffic up. Some of it is construction but a lot of it is the storm. I was taking my kids back and forth last weekend and we had to take some huge detours through neighborhoods, and there was just stuff stacked up on the curbs, eight, ten feet high. Carpet of course, mattresses, dressers, tvs. Just stacked up on the curbs so high that you couldn't hardly see the houses. And there were tons of cops, tons of intersections closed off, and entire neighborhoods still, after all this time, still closed off. We saw home-made signs, spray painted signs in front of neighborhoods that said "do not enter, flooded".

It's hearbreaking to me to see all of that. My prayers and thoughts are with people who have lost loved ones and lost all they have.

My sister and her husband have donated a lot of time to help people that are trying to rebuild, and I gave what money I could. Btw, this is just my personal opinion but it's a bad, bad idea to donate to the Red Cross right now. Google it if you want more information. A lot of this is being disputed back and forth right now, but people are questioning how much of your dollar is actually going to flood victims, shelters, food.

A good rule of thumb is 90% of the money you contribute should go directly to relief efforts. There are reports out right now that the Red Cross is at more like 40% to 50%. I would keep that in mind when you're trying to help.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    One video that was horrible to see earlier was the looting going on in one part of Florida. Flat screen TVs and Nike runners and all other big named brands. As if the place is not going to be hit hard enough. This is the last thing you need. These idiots who see this as a chance to rob shops. Might understand if they were robbing food or water. Too see the woman with this huge flat screen TV. With any look the video will be used to arrest them all. Faces were all clearly seen. Bloke trying to hold about 20 boxes, all Nike runners. Greedy, robbing bastards who don't care about what is going on around them.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Yes, that looting was horrible. What is wrong with people? This storm was horrific to so many many people. We had people from our community drive to Tampa as it was supposed to hit us on the East Coast. Then they were scrambling to get back here. Many people did this. Out neighbors windows blew out and these are 'hurricane windows'. Not Irma proof.
    There is so much generosity that I've witnessed so I focus on that. Yesterday we were without power so we kept going for drives in the car and charging our phones. Traffic lights were out and we have to treat these intersections as a 4 way stop. I don't think I'm going to be a passenger when my husband is driving anymore. I'll just say that. Terrifying. One light was working and he made a left on red turn. Not sure what is happening with him. Anyway, our police department is awesome. True heros. 2 cops were killed in a head on collision during the storm in another city. It's pretty dangerous out there. I'm going to check out the store today.
    Thanks for all of your warm thoughts.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    So far no news or sighting of on the site at all. Still a lot of places without power. Not sure were she ended up staying either. Her boyfriend wanted her to go with him to his parent's house. She didn't want to do that because that was the most dangerous area. Right on the seafront. Her own apartment was in a lower risk area. I am sure we will hear something from her in time.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Just to let you know fatalities from hurricanes, even as horrific as these last few, are rare.

I hope Brooke is OK, I really do. I hope she checks in soon. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Good to hear she is OK, thank you Kay. It's devastating to see what Houston still looks like. There are mountains of debris and trash and furniture still stacked up on the curbs in some neighborhoods, there are people that have lost everything they have. My heart goes out to everyone here and in Florida. I hope charities help people out as much as they can, I hope people respond, I've given as much as I can right now. I wish I could do more.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Good to hear. I am sure she will have a story and a half to tell once she gets back. But once she is safe, that is the main thing.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    All these Natural Disasters lately..

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Hi everyone. I am back online again. Lost power for about 9 days.

Me and my family are okay. I took my daughter to a shelter and we spent 3 days there to ride out the storm... when I left to come home, I could not gain access because the streets were too flooded. I've been house to house since then, staying with my fiances parents and friends. I was finally able to spend my first night at home last night and today I am back at work for a couple hours. Had to bring Lilia because schools are closed all this week due to extensive damage.

I am mentally exhausted... I wish we got a vacation just to recuperate from the whole experience. I've lived in florida since I was 4 and never went through anything like this. So scary. Grateful everyone is safe and sound. Thanks for checking in everyone.
    Your wings were ready, my heart was not.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Great to see your post and to know you are safe and sound. I am sure it was a nightmare. Hope things get back to normal as quickly as they can. Probably take a bit of time. Fact that you are just safe and sound is all that really matters.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks Cuchulan. Just hoping things get back to normal soon.
    Your wings were ready, my heart was not.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    The eye of Irma went over my aunt and uncle's house in the Naples area. Their condo apparently didn't have much damage at all. They were expecting 10 to 15 feet of storm surge, but only got half of it since the first half of the storm pushed out water.
    They are okay, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.