Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Handicapped Spaces and Dirty Looks From People

This article came across my FB feed and it made me think of another situation I've come across, personally, that's kind of similar. Anyway, first, here's a link to the article....

http://949thebull.iheart.com/content...managed_social

My dad has a handicapped placard on his car, because my mom is wheelchair bound, and has been for years now. But he never uses it when she's not with him, and I'm sure the mom in this article never does when her son isn't with her. So that's pretty straight forward, it should be common sense to most people, but I guess some people just don't think it all the way through. The sticker could be (and very, very often is) for a family member.

But it also made me think of a similar situation at sporting events. For ex, my dad has season tickets every year to the Houston Astros, and he gives me and my kids a mini-season ticket package. He has 8 seats total. Four are normal seats, and four are handicapped.

Now....common sense would tell you that any professional sports organization is NOT gonna just only allow you to get one handicapped seat, just for the handicapped person lmao. You'd think most people would understand this, but, meh, I don't think everyone does.

Most of the time my mom will go to the games, she's a huge fan, but sometimes she's not feeling up to fighting the crowds, or she has other things she'd rather do or needs to do. So he'll give me and my kids tickets for the four handicapped seats. And you should see the look on some people's faces when they see that obviously none of us are handicapped. The thing is....even if those seats sit EMPTY for the entire game, other handicapped people can't use them. The ushers are pretty vigilant about checking tickets, ESPECIALLY for those seats. They're front row of a section, there is a ton of room down there, there are outlets for electric wheelchairs (or to plug in your phone lol). They're reeeally nice seats.

Also, the irony is that more often than not, we'll get to the handicapped seats (and our usher recognizes us of course) and she'll 99% of the time have to ask someone to move out of those seats. And half the time those are the ones I get dirty looks from.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, at all. And I really, truly believe a lot of the people that get this indignant attitude, like they think it's wrong and they never think that situation all the way through. It's like they have this knee-jerk reaction, and they're just looking for a reason to point out that it's wrong. I've even had one woman, this season, say something to me about it. I don't understand lol. Imo, some people really are dumber than a bag of rocks in that situation.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    On every Irish bus there is a space for a wheelchair. Only one. The problem? The space is for people with prams as well. Now it is meant to go to disabled people first. If you are on the bus with a pram. You travel ten stops. Then a person with a wheelchair wants to get on the bus, you will be asked to get off with your pram to make room for the wheelchair user. Fair or unfair? Could be dumped in the middle of nowhere in the rain. Unless you can fold the pram up and hold the baby. Which can be awkward for some mothers. It does create problems.

There are seats with signs that you are told you will have to give up if an elderly person or disabled person gets on the bus. Normally near the door of the bus. I have no issues with that at all. Unless it is used in the wrong way. I was on a bus one day. No lie when I say the bus was all but empty. Old lady gets on and wants my seat. Nearly every other seat around us was free. There was a seat facing this one. Nobody sitting on it. You could say the same for the next 6 or 7 seats. All empty. Nothing special about the seats over here. They are all the same. The driver in this case was laughing. Because the bus was empty. Here she was wanting me to move. I gave her the seat and simply sat next to her. A whole one place up. This old dear was not giving up. It was funny. Considering I do carry a disability pass. Which I could have taken out and shown her. That gave me the same right to be in the seat. But I never use my pass in that way at all.

People who really annoy me are those who park in disabled sports. They have no right to park there. They can be charged with it over here. Might be a small fine or penalty points on their license. If you are caught you get what you deserve. There are no excuses for it at all. The trains over here are a joke as not all train stations are manned. You might have to wait for a worker to come from a manned station to set a ramp up to help you get on the train. Everything is done by machines as far as tickets go these days. Have to know the manned stations and ring them up and let them know what train you are going for. Then hope somebody arrives before the train to help you get on the train. There are portable ramps in every station. But the public can not set them up. Just in case something goes wrong. Is a joke of a system.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote sunrise View Post
    I've had debilitating back pain but never had a disability placard (never thought to ask my dr about it). When I see people abusing handicapped parking privileges, my blood boils. Don't know anything about handicapped seats - never really thought about it. If those seats are pre-reserved so that no one else can use them, than other people can't complain. I would think the ticketing system had an option for handicapped people when making reservations.
    You might think about asking your doc about a placard. They're pretty difficult to get here. It has to be an open and shut case, has to be clear that you need one, because your doc can be held liable if it's found that you really don't need one and they gave you one (obviously). Pretty sure they can lose their license to practice. But, I mean, there's no harm in asking about it if you think you need one.

The handicapped seats at the stadium we go to are pre-reserved, which is why I think most people aren't stupid enough to make a scene about it, even when me and my kids and friends are sitting in those seats without my mom there. In the 15 years we've had the seats only that one lady dared to actually say anything to me, and she made it very quick and then left. The way it's set up....you walk into the section and the handicapped row is right there in front of you after you walk through a short tunnel. The usher stands behind that row for the entire game. There are stairs going up behind us for the thousands of regular seats. So, it's sort of a strange setup....everyone can clearly see who's in those seats, and, at the same time, no one wants to start anything I think because the usher is right there. The woman that decided to cop an attitude with me kind of made a fool of herself, because I stayed really calm. She finally said "fine, I'm gonna sit in these seats during pregame if you aren't here, every time". LOL. Our usher bends the rules sometimes and does let people do that (pregame only). She's just gonna have to mover her *** every time, so whatever. But she is what makes me think that some people just look for a reason to start something. There are 40,000 seats in that stadium, and she wants to come sit in ours before the game.

There's an option for reserving handicapped seats, but the problem is there are not nearly enough seats. The park website says they meet standards set by the American Disabilities Act but everyone knows that is a big, fat lie....they don't. They don't have handicapped seats in every section, not nearly in every section. And some of the handicapped seats really suck, they're among the worst seats in the stadium....blocked views, sitting right in front of food vendors, etc. And they have had other problems. At one point the elevators went out and my mom and everyone was stranded....and it took them an extraordinarily long time to fix them. There are huge sections of the park that are NOT accessible by wheelchair. There are so few handicapped parking spots that my dad doesn't even bother to look for one, ever. My dad eventually raised so much hell that he got a phone call from the team owner, Jim Crane. He started giving my dad some extra perks to try to make up for the disadvantages...that was years ago and my dad and Jim are still on a first name basis and my dad still gets some perks to this day. And I see nothing wrong with that, at all. It is the very, very least they can do, tbh.
    You're going to lose people in your life, and realize that no matter how much time you spent with them or how often you told them you loved them, it will never seem like it was enough.

Hug the ones you love.

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post
    On every Irish bus there is a space for a wheelchair. Only one. The problem? The space is for people with prams as well. Now it is meant to go to disabled people first. If you are on the bus with a pram. You travel ten stops. Then a person with a wheelchair wants to get on the bus, you will be asked to get off with your pram to make room for the wheelchair user. Fair or unfair? Could be dumped in the middle of nowhere in the rain. Unless you can fold the pram up and hold the baby. Which can be awkward for some mothers. It does create problems.

There are seats with signs that you are told you will have to give up if an elderly person or disabled person gets on the bus. Normally near the door of the bus. I have no issues with that at all. Unless it is used in the wrong way. I was on a bus one day. No lie when I say the bus was all but empty. Old lady gets on and wants my seat. Nearly every other seat around us was free. There was a seat facing this one. Nobody sitting on it. You could say the same for the next 6 or 7 seats. All empty. Nothing special about the seats over here. They are all the same. The driver in this case was laughing. Because the bus was empty. Here she was wanting me to move. I gave her the seat and simply sat next to her. A whole one place up. This old dear was not giving up. It was funny. Considering I do carry a disability pass. Which I could have taken out and shown her. That gave me the same right to be in the seat. But I never use my pass in that way at all.

People who really annoy me are those who park in disabled sports. They have no right to park there. They can be charged with it over here. Might be a small fine or penalty points on their license. If you are caught you get what you deserve. There are no excuses for it at all. The trains over here are a joke as not all train stations are manned. You might have to wait for a worker to come from a manned station to set a ramp up to help you get on the train. Everything is done by machines as far as tickets go these days. Have to know the manned stations and ring them up and let them know what train you are going for. Then hope somebody arrives before the train to help you get on the train. There are portable ramps in every station. But the public can not set them up. Just in case something goes wrong. Is a joke of a system.
    Yeah that sounds like a really broken system. Wouldn't surprise me to hear they have so many people complaining that they don't even know what to do with them all.

I mean, 99% of the time I don't see anyone with prams at the games I go to, it's just too damn much trouble....I never took one when my kids were that small. I had one of those baby carriers at one point (you strap it around your body), and would get my dad or sister to help with the others.

But I understand that's not always an option, sometimes you need a pram and if you have no other transportation then that would really suck, and it would be pretty scary I'm sure to be dropped off, no notice, in the middle of nowhere, in the rain, and wonder how you're going to get where you need to go. In Houston there are buses that are for handicapped only....they will pick you up from anywhere of course, and they're (obviously) equipped with ramps and extra space and everything needed, so that eliminates that problem some of the time here. But I'm sure most cities don't have all that. Most cities are so afraid of lawsuits and the American Disabilities Act is really nothing to mess with here, it's taken very, very seriously....so most cities here try to at least meet the minimum wrt public transit. It's sad to me that things are that way where you are....doesn't have to be that way.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Not every bus has a ramp on it here. That, to me is wrong. Some people are simply told what time the next bus with a ramp will be along. Really stupid at times. in this day and age they should all have ramps. The space for the wheelchair is just that. One space, one wheelchair. What happens if you have two people in wheelchairs? Can only take one. Which one do you take? The other you leave behind. Even that is a gamble that the next bus will have a ramp on it. Is the same with houses. Modern houses must have ramps. Most houses around here are old. Fair to say that much of Ireland would not be suited for a wheelchair user. That is just been honest. They need to get their act together. The shops are all old as well. Not easy for a wheelchair user.
    The Lovable Irish Rogue

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Cuchculan View Post

English system is exactly the same. Although it explictedly mentioned that the wheelchair space is for wheelchairs, not prams. People use the space for prams anyway. You're meant to move if a wheelchair comes but haf the time drivers can't be bothered to do that. Half the time they can't even be bothered to get up and put the ramp down.

Disabled spot system is one that really irritates me. Now I've got a 92 year old grandfather with two replacement knees and bad feet and well...the general problems that come with mobility when you are 92 years old. Can't walk far, and needs the extra space that comes with a disabled space in order to get in and out of the car, and even then, I'm still having to help him out even with the room. What bugs me a lot is these people who seem to think these spots exist for "Disabled people or if i'm "just popping into the shops for a loaf of bread only"". Gods sake, you can park elsewhere. My grandfather actually needs that spot and has the disabled blue badge. Not sure if it's penalty points you get for improper parking, or just a fine, but you can get done for it if caught. Then again, you get a few odd looks and glares if you park in a disabled spot and don't look like you need it. I can park there if I'm picking up my grandfather from somewhere and have his badge.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    I believe in EGALITARIANISM....that means everyone is treated EQUALLY.

I don't think we should have special privileges for some people and not others!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Disabled spaces aren't a privilege. A privilege would be handing these to random people. They're handed to people who here, can't walk more than ten metres unassisted. Applying and reapplying is subject to strict checks to check you do need the blue badge. No idea what the US system is, it invisible guy has already said its next to impossible to get one.

When it comes to equality, it's levelling the playing field.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Disabled spaces aren't a privilege. A privilege would be handing these to random people. They're handed to people who here, can't walk more than ten metres unassisted. Applying and reapplying is subject to strict checks to check you do need the blue badge. No idea what the US system is, it invisible guy has already said its next to impossible to get one.

When it comes to equality, it's levelling the playing field.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
    It's still special privilege.... just because someone hurt their back they get to cut in line in front of everyone else??

I hope to god if I become handicapped I never feel that entitled!! I think handicap spaces should be done away with IMO

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    This reminds me of how I pay taxes for Medicaid on every single paycheck but I don't get healthcare myself !!

Why do I have to pay for someone else's healthcare when I don't even get any?? I HATE IT!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Hurting your back would get your nowhere with handicapped spaces. You'd be laughed at if you tried to apply for one with that. As I said, walking less than 10 metres. As in you physically cannot make it ten metres without toppling over.

It's hardly cutting the queue. I gurantee you, if I parked further away at the same time as someone parked in a disabled space, I'd beat them to the store door because I'm not trying to keep upright when I'm walking.

What on earth does your taxes and medicaid have to do with this conversation at all?
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Hurting your back would get your nowhere with handicapped spaces. You'd be laughed at if you tried to apply for one with that. As I said, walking less than 10 metres. As in you physically cannot make it ten metres without toppling over.

It's hardly cutting the queue. I gurantee you, if I parked further away at the same time as someone parked in a disabled space, I'd beat them to the store door because I'm not trying to keep upright when I'm walking.

What on earth does your taxes and medicaid have to do with this conversation at all?
    Because it's another government program I pay taxes for that I don't want !! I'm sick of it !!

I don't care if I break my back and take 10 minutes to walk 20 feet I don't want special priveleges for it and neither should other people!

I hope Trump gets rid of handicap spaces and all the other bloated social programs I get money stolen from my check for, MAGA

Banned
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    @CloudMaker I think someone indoctrinated you to believe some of the things that you purport to believe on this forum, maybe? I'm not sure. I'm not saying that to be malicious, or to start any kind of confrontation....I don't like confrontations, I really don't. So why would I think that? Why would I possibly think that someone indoctrinated you to believe some of the things you believe? A dictionary definition follows, just for reference....

indoctrinate

/inˈd?ktrəˌnāt/

verb

verb: indoctrinate; 3rd person present: indoctrinates; past tense: indoctrinated; past participle: indoctrinated; gerund or present participle: indoctrinating

teach (a person or group) to accept a set of beliefs uncritically.
    "broadcasting was a vehicle for indoctrinating the masses"

synonyms: brainwash, propagandize, proselytize, reeducate, persuade, convince, condition, program, mold, discipline
    But if we just keep it to this issue, then I've got an opinion....there are actually a few other possibilities....your POV has to have come about in one of four different ways, imo:

~ Someone that was disabled maybe abused you or ran over you with a truck or did something horrible to you when you were younger. But I don't think this is it because my mother was actually my abuser, for years, and she's disabled, and I don't think like you do at all, it's like we're not even from the same planet, ffs

~ Or, it's maybe because you're trolling

~ Third, might be because someone has indoctrinated you to believe that no one should receive assistance from anyone, ever, BUT....when you get in the position of being disabled one day....you're gonna demand that you receive assistance, I can almost guarantee it

~ Last, it could be because you have no empathy, zero, none, at all

I'm not sure which one of these might cause you to think the way you do, I don't know you. But these are the only reasons I can think of that you'd possibly have the opinion you do.

Whatever the reason, I hope you never become disabled because Karma is gonna get you, and get you bad lol.

Hug the ones you love.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote CloudMaker View Post
    Because it's another government program I pay taxes for that I don't want !! I'm sick of it !!

I don't care if I break my back and take 10 minutes to walk 20 feet I don't want special priveleges for it and neither should other people!

I hope Trump gets rid of handicap spaces and all the other bloated social programs I get money stolen from my check for, MAGA
    Then start another thread about your disatisfation with medicaid and how your taxes are being wasted on it instead of derailing InvisibleGuys thread with it.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Then start another thread about your disatisfation with medicaid and how your taxes are being wasted on it instead of derailing InvisibleGuys thread with it.
    OK sorry it's easy for me to go on tangents LOL

@InvisibleGuy I've never been abused by a disabled person and don't have anything against disabled people I just don't believe in special privileges or social safety nets

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.