Page 277 of 380 FirstFirst ... 77 177 227 267 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 287 327 377 ... LastLast
Results 4,141 to 4,155 of 5693
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Quote Nyctophilia View Post
    Yeah I know they were doing some research in the UK with DMT for treatment resistant depression and psilocybin. I watched a documentary about that a while ago.
    Magic medicine, by any chance? I remember that ended rather sadly. If I remember correctly after a year or so the participants were all pretty much very depressed again. Rosalind Watts, who was involved as a psychologist, later mentioned in a podcast she had "informed" some of them it's possible to do an ayahuasca retreat in The Netherlands because now they didn't have legal access to the one thing that had worked for them.
    The best book I read about trauma since '97 is Pete Walker's Complex PTSD: From Surviving To Thriving

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Quote Heelsbythebridge View Post
    It'd be great if we can just sign up for medical euthanasia without having to jump through a bunch of hoops. There is a puritanical/religious backing to keep it from being more accessible... I'm sure there is some kind of belief Christians have where suicide is a sin.
    That could be a factor. Euthanasia is not an easy topic though, regardless of religion. I bet it's a tough call on the doctors involved, especially so in the case of mental illness. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes. The procedures are also in place to prevent impulsive action. Isn't Canada quite progressive in this regard though?
    The best book I read about trauma since '97 is Pete Walker's Complex PTSD: From Surviving To Thriving

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Quote TuanJie View Post
    That could be a factor. Euthanasia is not an easy topic though, regardless of religion. I bet it's a tough call on the doctors involved, especially so in the case of mental illness. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes. The procedures are also in place to prevent impulsive action. Isn't Canada quite progressive in this regard though?
    Yes, human euthanasia is legal here. But there are a lot of hoops.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote TuanJie View Post
    I guess most (drug) tourist also don't know weed is illegal here as well. It's officially being "tolerated" and has been for decades. Though not legal. Coffee shops are allowed to sell it, but aren't allowed to buy it. It doesn't make legal or economic sense. A trial with legally grown stuff has been postponed again, so organized crime can enjoy for a little while longer. Meanwhile a non profit has been sued for offering cannabis oil to people like myself (sleep issues and such). After loosing, they joined forces with an American company, which is now producing water with a legally allowed percentage of THC and other cannabinoids. The non profit has the ambition to make it available all over the EU, since apparently this is a bit of a loophole in European law.

Magic mushrooms are illegal here as well, after a knee jerk political response to an incident years ago. Only they messed up so it's legal to produce, sell and buy magic truffles which is the same thing in a different form. If we'd done this properly, we'd have an awesome industry now, but it looks like the US has beaten us to it. Welcome to the Netherlands.
    Yes, I did hear that. A loophole where the coffee shops can sell it, but they can't buy it, and are buying from the criminals. Every now and then we hear that Amsterdam is getting fed up with the weed tourists and plans to restrict sales to residents only. Whether they will or not though. Can't say I blame them for being fed up.

Is interesting you don't hear of weed tourism to the states, but I guess a 10Euro flight taking 2 hours to get to Amsterdam courtesy of Ryanair is why.

We're unlikely to ever make it legal in the UK. They don't actively prosecute small-time users mind. They've only really allowed for medical use after a few parents were caught smuggling in the oil bught in NL that they used order to treat the kids seizures.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote TuanJie View Post
    Magic medicine, by any chance? I remember that ended rather sadly. If I remember correctly after a year or so the participants were all pretty much very depressed again. Rosalind Watts, who was involved as a psychologist, later mentioned in a podcast she had "informed" some of them it's possible to do an ayahuasca retreat in The Netherlands because now they didn't have legal access to the one thing that had worked for them.
    The documentary was on the BBC called The Psychedelic Drug Trial but I also remember watching a Ted Talk before watching that some time ago and looking it up now that was with Rosalind Watts. I think she was in the documentary too. You used to be able to watch the BBC documentary on YouTube because a few people uploaded it but not sure if it's still possible. Tbh I'm surprised they allowed it because the UK is really strict with drugs and very traditionalist about it eg: David Nutt (also involved in the trial) a previous chief government advisor was asked to resign back in 2009 after saying ecstasy and LSD were less dangerous than alcohol.

I think she did say that a lot of people found their symptoms improved on psilocybin, but I don't remember if it worked permanently for anyone. I think a lot of people improved for about 2 months and the effects were immediate and without side effects (so if it scales fairly well there's an advantage there for a lot of people over anti depressants.) But yeah they'd have to take more at some point and unfortunately after the trial is over that wouldn't be an option in the UK.

Just noticed this has been uploaded recently too:

The impulse is pure
    Sometimes our circuits get shorted
    By external interference

Signals get crossed
    And the balance distorted
    By internal incoherence

A tired mind become a shape-shifter
    Everybody need a mood lifter
    Everybody need reverse polarity

Everybody got mixed feelings
    About the function and the form
    Everybody got to deviate
    From the norm

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I feel like I am the only person on the planet who doesn't give a crap about this stupidly dragging on, Harry and Meghan royal family drama.

So they left the UK to start there own life because the tabloids are god awful (not news). Good for them. I do not think I would want the royal life either.

Mind you, it is a bit disturbing that there is a lot more coverage of this than there was about Prince Andrew. Yes, age of consent is 16 here. But trafficking is still a crime here. As is "I was pressured to sleep with him because Epstein would have had me killed had I refused." I mean, for someone who insists that he is innocent, he certainly behaves guilty.

- The car crash interview -> "She is lying 'because I don't sweat.'.
    - Refusal to participate in any US investigation regarding the whole Epstein affair, won't even go to an interview.
    - Cancelling holidays because be wouldn't be able to use his royal privilege, and would probably be arrested and extradited to the US, and for some stupid reason, the UK won't.
    - Hiding from lawyers so that he can't be sued, because he didn't receive the court summons.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    And me. We're not a great bunch. There are actually cooler people lol. If I look through the Wikipedia list list we've got
    Nicola Roberts (murderer) and Charles Bronson (prisoner - that's what he's known for lol he's a famous prisoner) '"most violent prisoner in Britain" and "Britain's most notorious prisoner".' But no there's like some post-punk band (there has to be right?) Many famous sports people I have no interest in. David Renwick wrote One Foot in the Grave (never watched that.) Stacey Dooley initially got big in the world of documentaries for making one about the town lmfao. Too small to be Gotham, too [BEEP] to avoid people having a machete fight in the shopping centre in the middle of the day. Luton 'It's not Detroit.' 'Buy a house for the price of a VCR' damn Cleveland sounds better. Housing in Luton is expensive because of it's proximity to London and everywhere in the UK being expensive at baseline.

There's some nice countryside though. That's the bad thing about the US if you live somewhere shit, you're ages away from somewhere not shit. But with big cities you get this 'scenes' etc. If the airport closed Luton would be fucked because they employ tons of people and fund most things the council can't afford.

Luton's post-war and more recent industrial decline has been compared to that of similar towns in northern England.[73]
    That basically sums it up. Half of children in Luton live in poverty.

I don't think Andrew Tate was born here though, he was raised here but has a really weird accent so something's going on there. 'He grew up in Goshen, Indiana and Chicago, later moving to Luton, England as a child' makes sense. Everyone remembers him being from Luton though which is hilarious. He was also born in DC I think so he's missing NYC and Detroit but basically he grew up in Gotham. If you put them all together that's just Gotham lol. I'm guessing he grew up in Goshen, Indiana and not Goshen (Egyptian place mentioned in the bible,) Indiana (the state.) So in my head he grew up in Pawnee. (Gotham. I don't know if Randy Quaid was crazy when this episode was released but if not it's aged very well.) and April rejected Andrew Tate and he's never been the same since (rightfully so.)
    You know in relation to the above quote from my previous post this video irks me a bit but I think about it now and then, and he is kind of onto something (relevant part from the timestamp at 39:39 to 58:00ish.)

Because they aren't Batman, they aren't even Owlman. They're who The Joker really would be in a real world situation. They're fucking losers but it's not that simple and we need to be more empathetic than to just say that outright.

[...]

Of course Batman can operate in an active space of nihilism he has everything else he might need to assuage the negative elements of his childhood trauma. His edgelord persona is Nietzsche's ubermensch and it's not attainable to Arthur Fleck the deranged murderer and stalker or D-Fens the sad, bitter, short, ugly divorcee who's being laid off. Even among other white men - and here's where we'll start to get maybe into the danger zone - it's important to note that there's a greater element of privilege for a Batman than a joker. It's physical, it's economical and it's structural. The Riddler even calls him out for this in the movie.
    Quote guy he's talking to in the video
    When I think what really scares me in people nowadays it's not necessarily hatred or fear because I think both hatred and fear they both have antidotes you know? Nihilism is what scares me in young dudes the most nowadays. [...] It's that absence of belief that I think makes such a fertile ground for all the [BEEP] we've been talking about.
    I've talked about being a high school teacher before. It's a formative experience in terms of like who I am today. Of my 10 years teaching the vast majority of that time was spent teaching underserved black youth but I did spend one year - my first year teaching actually - at a predominantly white school. It wasn't super white maybe like 65% with maybe black and latino children making up the rest. But it was pretty, you know, diverse. And actually very economically diverse and being around that many white kids that was new and moreover this was my first experience with white poverty. I knew white poverty was a thing of course but I hadn't engaged with kids who were legit living in trailers whose parents were meth heads. Who suffered under late capitalism just like the black kids I had taught, it was a sobering learning experience to figure out the different nuances for the many white boys who for good or ill to a liking to me. It wasn't always fun the microaggressions they were pretty strong but it was a change I was up for.

I had this one kid who was brilliant. He was the type of kid that would sleep through your entire class, wake up and then get 100 on your quiz. I would hand him instructions for an assignment and then at the end of class instead of handing me the assignment he would hand me back the instructions with psychedelic art doodles all over it. It was a challenge it was my first year teaching so I didn't really know how to address that effectively but I got him past the class and we bonded through that it was a good experience. I really appreciated that time with that kid.

Sadly the intense racism of that school was too much for me and I left after one year. Still I made enough of an impression that years later this kid looked me up on facebook. Instead of being in college being brilliant he had gotten into landscaping or something and it was cool we had a chat or too. He was one of many students I kept contact with from that school and I'm pretty sure he was the second to commit suicide.

In my 10 years of teaching I've lost maybe a dozen students either during school like while they were in school or in the preceding years and around half of that number is from this one year that I taught at this white school. The black students I've lost have been to accidents, one was murdered, one did complete suicide after committing a felony but most of that 12 white kids - white boys in particular - almost all of them suicides with a overdose or two mixed in. This experience has always haunted me I don't blame myself per se because I was only there for a year but I just can't imagine how so many kids from one school could be gone before they turned 25 from self-harm.

I've taught and worked with some black boys and men in the most dire of conditions, coming from the most toxic environments, and I had a solid understanding of what that looked like and how that worked and what to do but for these boys I just don't didn't get it, still don't get it but I care.
    I never grew up in poverty, I'm lower middle class and based on my accent I was considered posh by at least one person in my hometown. (I don't remember her accent but a lot of people I grew up with had an accent a bit like multicultural London English. That's what they call that I guess lol. Not exactly the same but in the ball park. Lol well there's a lack of music videos in this post and just remembered this mandem. This is better though. Basically British Gangnam style) My accent is sort of Estuary English I guess? Probably closest label I'm aware of (I've been informed by YouTube videos that I sound like this character in Disco Elysium, but probably take that with a pinch of salt since someone else once asked me if I was Welsh? Lol. I guess to some people all British accents really do sound alike. Going off on a tangent here but if you google the character's name I just found a reddit thread where someone was asking where their accent is from and they said 'something Northern maybe' someone responded agreeing and saying they thought she was maybe from Yorkshire. LOL not at all. These people have decided there are two UK accents RP and Northern lol. That's what I mean though it's funny when you're form the UK because you see these huge differences and people are always pointing it out ime. But online you're always sort of seen as foreign if you're not American.)

So yeah I was considered posh by at least one person and later by a northerner when I went to uni. Though other people from the South knew I wasn't and when they heard where I came from expressed pity actually and some people laughed at the way I pronounced certain words like water. This was the first point I think this occurred to me but there is a localised pronunciation of that word. I think this is partly idiosyncratic though as when I moved I started pronouncing some words in different ways like with a Birmingham accent supposedly (someone commented on that,) and seem to just pick these things up. I've also always pronounced the word come weirdly in a way everyone commented on and I think I got that from my nan who was a native German speaker. (I also had to teach myself to pronounce the th sound as an adult because I would pronounce it the same as if it was just f in a lot of words eg: through like frew, so now I sometimes get them mixed up in places where I didn't before because I'm doing it consciously. Can't think of an example right now but some weird things occurred.) I started using 'like' more after talking to these people on this one discord server and it's so annoying/ego dystonic lol. I also feel like I talk differently from say my dad and I remember one time he asked where my brother learnt the word misanthrope when he used it in a conversation having grown up in Luton. To me it's a word I encounter constantly online haha but I guess maybe he's not exposed to any context where he's heard that.

So I wasn't very poor (or working class,) but growing up in this kind of environment I think has a knock on effect psychologically. The physical environment is bleak and depressing in many areas, there's kids who have psychopathic traits that you'll meet, lots of people just don't care about anything, people who hate their jobs like my dad and that influence. He was dealing with his own trauma/issues and had both a gambling addiction and later issues with drinking for a short time (also other impulsive habits/issues that involved getting very into debt.) My family dynamic has never been great. When I was in sixth form there was a class I was in where most students really just didn't want to be there and only came because they were being paid at one point half of them copied each other's test scores so they all had to redo the test, some girl overdosed in the bathroom there. I think the suicide rate of current teenagers has increased and I'm a millennial so didn't hear as much about that at the time, but there's a lot of chaos and troubled people, people with mental health issues (like me.)

Before I went to uni my mum completed a degree. It was her first and she was the first person in my extended family to go to uni. None of her generation on either side of my family went to uni, none of my older cousins went to uni (including those who were closer in age to me but older.) I have an aunt who is actually quite rich now and was pretty intelligent from what I gathered and went to grammar school just before they got rid of those and even she didn't go to uni. I later graduated and my brother went to uni for a while but then dropped out (actually he was studying AI and robotics lol.) I think one of my younger cousins was planning on going but I'm not really in contact with my extended family now. I just heard from my mum but covid was kind of getting in the way for him.

As time has gone on they've pushed more and more people to go but the result of that is that degrees are worth less now (academic inflation.) I also studied something I wasn't particularly good at, it wasn't really a great idea academically or economically but I appreciated the time socially. My life would have been a lot worse if I didn't have those experiences so I don't regret it.

Before I went in school there was some program for people who were at risk of not going to uni to try and encourage them to go either because they were poor or because of their postcode or because their family didn't go - nobody really 100% knew the criteria (it was a diverse enough group that I expect there were multiple criteria,) but it wasn't everyone so it was a 'thing.' And this abusive girl who wasn't in that program mocked me for that too.

A lot of stuff brought up back then was kind of bs like they'd tell you if you go the average salary is 33k a year, but of course it depends on what you're studying etc. This one teacher I had stressed that it was important that we go to uni so we don't end up 'getting a job working in Tesco where the only progression is to eventually become manager of the people who push trollies around.' [BEEP] mentality.

And of course ironically that YouTuber has brought up Andrew Tate a bunch of times too (who at least 'passed through' the town, think he got into boxing while there,) not sure if he did in this particular video, but when discussing the 'manosphere.' Also I dunno what it is but he only talked to a few guys in the video and at least two are either from the Britain and Ireland or have those accents despite the fact he's American heh interesting.

I like the character of April Ludgate (an 'edgelord,') for many reasons but part of it is that she grew up in this town (well it's a city actually,) that's notoriously seen as [BEEP] (in spite of the central theme which is Leslie's contrasting positivity and optimism,) and it's interesting right because I know the writers didn't really plan her. They wrote the character after meeting Aubrey Plaza and deciding more or less 'lol quirky we should write her into our show.' Yet her temperament and sense of humour is very much what comes out of these environments and I find her coping mechanisms very relatable.
    The impulse is pure
    By external interference

Signals get crossed
    By internal incoherence

Everybody got to deviate
    From the norm

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Started watching Schitt's Creek. Had no idea Dan Levy is the son of that guy from American Pie. I also like how they're overreacting to moving into this fairly average motel room (actually for a motel it's really nice, they even have a table and chairs,) because they were super rich before haha. There are far worse places and I've lived in a place that was way worse lol. Then they went to this cafe that was nice and kind of hipster "the town is disgusting, it is gruesome." Obviously that's part of the joke though.
    The impulse is pure
    By external interference

Signals get crossed
    By internal incoherence

Everybody got to deviate
    From the norm

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    So, Ibwas never formerally diagnosed EUPD/BPD. Thought it was suggested. And thank the lord for that, I ended up with the bipolar diagnosis instead.

Which, the more I hear of it, is a relief, seems to be a lot of stigma with "complex BPD" than there is with easier to treat bipolar. Get rejected referrals for a lot of services with the EUPD dx, I hear.

I mean, I'm lucky I'm the "on my meds, it's controlled" bipolar, though it'd be nice if there was some long term thinking of "let's not touch the meds, it will cost the taxpayer lot more if this person gets ill again" instead of short term "it's expensive so we'll redlist it and want everyone off that one."

It is known that you do really need to push at times in order to get anywhere with CMHT in this country. But, I do really give them a lot of pushback on the redlist issue. Which I don't think is unreasonable. And the briefing "why this pill is redlisted" is available online, alongside a list of exemptions. Helps make the argument.

Problem is, redlists are different in different CCGs. At least one does not have any exceptions - in theory, though of I got an exception there. Somehow. I'm kinda living in that area temporarily at the moment, but I haven't actually told the NHS I've moved house so I get around this issue. They've yet to figure it out.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Ah I accidentally shut this.

Sorry!
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Was surprised to see this video because I know he deleted a bunch of his older ones talking about this and some other stuff. I related to some of the stuff he talked about in regards to sexuality before. I also wonder if he's heard of Billy Martin (edit: yeah brought that up 14 minutes into the video lol. Also now that I think about it I forgot but I think his name is a reference from one of those books,) since he's into vampires/writing vampire fiction lol. For a lot of people they say the first trans guy they've heard of is Buck Angel and since he's pretty terrible politically that's been a big deal for a lot of people/they mourn that but honestly he wasn't for me lol. Probably was that writer. I didn't read his work though I was into like Anne Rice's novels/goth stuff/and lots of homoerotica so ended up hearing about his work.

Also looking at his wikipedia page now I also love how in addition to all those novels he randomly wrote a biography about Courtney Love. Still feels on brand aesthetically honestly.

I've only watched 9 minutes of that video and after writing the above sentence he already brought up Brody Dalle and Courtney Love's voice =D

I should really watch it all before posting here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkpT948yTGw

This isn't the best example of Brody's vocals it's just a pretty cool more recent track. (Just in the case she's on the right the other vocalist is Shirley Manson from Garbage.) This is really good too think Garbage had a bunch of collabs on a recent album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOmKGjy-Ct0

I love Arch Enemy too. (With both vocalists really.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRkc08_dR-0

Trying to find another track with the newer vocalist and just getting distracted lol. This is not at all related just metal.

All the same person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqp2rGl3P4c

Screaming is fun too.

His (youtuber) voice is more androgynous than mine though. Mine is pretty bleak.

Edit: So finished watching the video. The comment section is (overall) surprisingly chill/supportive. I think it's mostly because although his channel is decently sized it's pretty niche and not specifically trans stuff. There is some stuff if you scroll a lot but it's not like on a lot of videos...

Along with the usual transphobia there's a really gross straight guy doing his thing because he took his ambiguity and lack of caring about stranger's misgendering him as a challenge and invitation 'you just need to find the right guy' (well tbf ime they'll do it either way whether you're clear or not, they'll just be a little less 'nice' - see: passive aggressive about it if you're confrontational.) That's why forced feminisation is 'valid' for (some) cis boys. You want this to be about you? It can be arranged.

I mean to me it just seems like you’re a tomboy you don’t have to fit in social standards to be the gender you are. It’s just my opinion I’m not judging it’s not my place I just hope you find the peace you deserve.
    I'm not sure how you could watch the video (the whole way through which is prob part of the problem,) and say that in good faith not least because he isn't that masculine. 'I like how if I'm perceived as female I won't get beaten up for wearing makeup/jewellery/certain clothes' is like the polar opposite lol. You can disagree with how he feels but it's like these people come in, don't actually listen and then just spout cliches.

Even if you disregard the non-binary thing (which is going to be more complicated,) it's not easy to know what they're referencing 'Well um, you mentioned female vocalists' yes and feminine cis gay/bi men definitely never stan those. Unheard of throughout history.

Maybe the part where he said he liked telling the guy who was harassing his female friend to go away and finding he listened. I'm pretty sure most people would enjoy that anyway.

Anyway there are a bunch of differences (obviously really,) but I find a bunch of the video relatable. I tend not to relate to a lot of American trans or non-binary people especially when younger. They also tend to be more optimistic, have or plan to medically transition, and grew up in a very different social environment regarding all of this.

The photo comparison is funny because I'd dress more like the photo on the right with the tanktop but often even less effort like I just wore jeans and a basic t-shirt or something like that to clubs lol. (and it's funny because just before I started going clubbing my aunt suggested that I probably look more mature when I'm going out and wearing makeup because my uncle said I looked 12 or something like that Rocking up to the club like lol not quite but yeah. Also I have that Pusheen book she's reading. Actually I posted one image years ago of me in a club online and someone said I reminded them of Elliot Page (before transition,) which is kind of ironic) Very rarely people would talk to me besides the people I went with. There was one time in spite of this a guy bought me a drink and wanted to talk to me though. I think we exchanged numbers too but can't remember now. That suited me though. One of my favourite club memories was when I was about to leave a club alone and then just heard MSI (don't remember the exact song, possibly this, or Shut Me Up,) and decided to stay to listen to the song. It's paradoxical but especially with rock/metal clubs I was there more for the energy/music and not for the purpose of meeting people or hooking up. I don't find most people attractive either.

I'd get a lot more comments from strangers when I started dying my hair weird colours. I think the only time a stranger ever complimented my clothing was when I was wearing some kind of top that was closer to on the left (so I guess sort of corset like?) I think it was this sort of steampunk type thing I had (it was either or this one other top I had which was purple and black and like gothish.) And lol it wasn't while clubbing. I was going to the shop to r̶e̶t̶u̶r̶n̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶t̶a̶p̶e̶s̶ pick up some stuff. I do miss Blockbuster, there's some memories there. :') I know but unironically.

One time after an IAMX concert when I was dressed almost exactly like the photo on the right with a black tank top and jeans but was also wearing a cap I had some guy compliment my hat I think? Outside the venue. Then two different guys tried to ask me for cigarettes (the only time in my life this ever happened once in London, once in the town I lived in after getting back. So apparently it gives 'smokes' vibes.) The second guy tried to yell after me when I was walking away (not sure why possibly he didn't hear my response, my voice often isn't audible because of anxiety,) but I ignored him. And some younger guys/older teens tried to make me jump while I was walking back through a train station. I can be very mentally slow/not present and then I'd just got out of a concert so I didn't really react and that probably wasn't fun for them lol.

Other than this and the dyed hair all my conversations with strangers have been in London and them asking about my band hoodies/t-shirts that I'm always wearing. And I think all the times that happened it was Steven Wilson merch. One guy's friend asked me about what I was wearing. Very obvious he didn't know Steven Wilson at all (I can't remember his exact phrasing of the question now, but it was an odd way of asking and came across lol,) but was asking on behalf of his friend lol. Then the friend started excitedly talking to the guy who asked me after I answered about Steven Wilson. 'Have you heard about our lord and saviour?'

I am basically free advertising have a (nother) song (I posted four lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAColKjZJz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BClzBQmZZBc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxmlhcl4ug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjwPt1eNF9A

I prefer a lot of the tracks on Grace For Drowning and Insurgents really though to say Hand. Cannot. Erase though there are a couple of tracks I really like on that album (esp live,) and it was more critically acclaimed compared to his previous solo work I think. Listening to Significant Other with decent headphones after just hearing the track was very transcendental.

One thing about this kind of music, and you see this too with Tool and really any prog bands/artists is you get a lot of pretentiousness. Like this:

Why are these songs so underrated? Makes me sad to see the idiots rapping about 'hoes' on top while these beautifully created pieces of art are undervalued by the world.
    I can understand lamenting why something isn't more popular if you think it's great (probably healthier than the hipster thing people do where they dislike when bands get famous,) but it's just unnecessary and mildly fascistic (very fascistic being of course, and unfortunately there's quite a bit of that on twitter,) not everything is for you and everything can fit into a larger puzzle and work as inspiration. This same mentality is why so many people were complaining about his The Future Bites album which is more synth-pop/electronic. This is great though imo. They don't have to like it but the weird controlling/you are supposed to do this it's the one true music vibe is obnoxious. And for a long time now Steven Wilson has been open about his diverse music tastes like he enjoys ABBA lol.

This TOOL song is also about these guys really lol. It also strikes me that most people who say this sort of thing (and the subtext here,) don't listen to a diverse range of hiphop and I don't mean tons either necessarily because I haven't listened to that much myself, but their complete sort of image of all rap music being like a 2000s 50 cent track about being in the club or something comes across. I've definitely said all this before but a bunch of it is about motivation, living in economic deprivation, social issues, more recently mental health issues, and a concept album about an alien gynecologist/surgeon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5xMq-pgKjc

"The album examines the impersonal/delusional/authoritarian aspects of institutions/bureaucracies using the general hospital and psych ward as main metaphor."

"Why don't people give my music a chance?"

This is just amazing and it even samples someone quoting Gandalf:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNrB6--KBqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxfGQ2AJHGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTjQq5rMlEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUcAPCxrSQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yhyp-_hX2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDHxK_HfOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbnumphZdPE

There's this track they're rapping about clubs and picking up women and it's not even the overarching message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGbP_kTM4CA

"This has got me through so many manic depressive stages it’s actually silly. Thank you cudi, you’re the big brother/dad I never had."

again not the overarching message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbEwHJX95QE

Sometimes it is the primary message and that works for people in the club trying to have casual sex with people or whatever. That works for some people.

Princess Nokia changes her image quite a bit so she gets this puritan thing a bit too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYcRGO7b_EA

Comments on No Effort music video:

No hypersexual outfits. .. I loooooove this.
    But i really dont even care if it gets no views, she actually stood up for something and behaving like a respectable human being and not stripping off just for clicks. Plus the track is dope af.
    I like her flow/energy but to me what actually stands out is the ruthless competitiveness of the lyrics in that particular track. Which I don't care for myself and does seem to be more of a gendered thing with women in the industry (I think Camille Paglia has addressed this before but moreso with pop artists,) but some people find that inspirational. The video is also a little misleading since she's wearing makeup but says her face is clean. So to nitpick probably taking it very literally lol. Beyonce did the same thing and it's a great track but again the visuals aren't matching the lyrics lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyuUWOnS9BY

This doesn't work for me because I don't automatically respect hierarchy so to hear you know 'bow down bitches,' 'when you were a little girl you dreamt of being in my world' obviously she's very famous and talented but nah lol. And also literally no as I do like some of her tracks lemonade. The reggae beat. Just great. This moment. Amusing But not a huge fan (I mean I called the track Lemonade which is the name of the album it's called Hold Up lol,) especially when I was younger I wasn't listening to her music. But yeah for a lot of girls yeah they would want to be Beyonce. But then you know a lot of people would disagree with me and they live for this stuff, and that's fine.

Iggy Azalea has been criticised extensively for stealing her aesthetic and image/style from black women but I don't even want to get into that the message with this track below is about herself right? Like she dropped out of high school and worked cleaning hotel rooms to move from Australia to the US at 16 which is huge deal (I don't know what this post has become but here we are lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zR6ROjoOX0

I'm not familiar with most of her music. She's a very competitive person too but this messaging works better for me personally. And again it's not the overarching message:

Valley Girls giving blow jobs for Louboutins
    What you call that?
    Head over heels

But it is clever.

It's actually quite shallow (and god knows I'm shallow lol but very shallow.) To fixate on these small aesthetic details missing the forest for the trees.

I forgot Angel Haze so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvvRNPOJPH0

"Start creating the leaders, tell them who should they follow
    Nobody but themselves, especially if they hollow"

Tbf two years before that they created Werkin Girls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szj7efHG-00

The fact that fucking Iggy Azelea is getting more attention than this queen proves that there's no justice in this world. Angel Haze is everything Iggy wishes she could be.
    You can have like 50 different male rappers with the same message and no comment, but there isn't room for an agender rapper that everyone thinks is a cis woman, and a cis woman with very different techniques and aesthetics. It's peculiar.

This is a comment on that Sigrid music track I posted:

I love it how she's just being herself. She's wearing normal clothes and she's just being well- Her.
    Same, she doesn’t need extravagant makeup, fancy clothes, she just her that’s what I love about sigrid plus her songs are good too
    Like clockwork. Stop. What if being yourself involves not wearing 'normal' clothes?

Teenagers these days don't realize how lucky they are to have the female musicians that they've got. She's so real. It was a rough adolescence growing up in the early 2000s. You couldn't watch any music video without feeling bad about yourself.
    I found it incredibly easy actually lol. And you seemed to have slept on early Avril. Who was definitely more famous than Sigrid and so everywhere at one point. And frankly the music videos are the least of gen z's issues lol they have to deal with growing up with modern social media and it's not going well statistically speaking.

Not sure if it was her goal but she comes off more gangster then most rappers do and all while being silly and random. You can't fake being real.
    Oh no it's the rappers again lol. I have a feeling the intent wasn't to be embroiled in some weird hypercompetitive highschool American genre tribalism... So no lol.

No nudity no sexual overtones just pure talent
    7.7k upvotes. Do the sexual overtones take away from talent somehow? I'm thinking no. (She has her breasts exposed in the music video so not sure if I can post it here.) 'The accompanying music video for "Pagan Poetry" was directed by Nick Knight, who had previously photographed the cover image for her third studio album Homogenic (1997).[9] The video is described as being about "a woman preparing herself for marriage and for her lover". It features highly blurry and stylized images of explicit sex from Bjork's personal footage,'

Norwegian confidence. Check out Aurora if you haven't
    Yes you should all check out this song specifically and internalise the message:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DIT8Y3LC6M

And these people really are everywhere:

An artist attracts first fans with a certain image. In the case of Aurora, it's an image of purity, innocence and fragility.
    Like a child of a dryad, that's the feeling she was invoking.
    This song in the eyes of many fans goes against that image, so they are naturally a bit upset. Nothing creepy about it.
    Yeah when that entitlement extends to people's sexual expression it gets particularly creepy. Also so many European artists have this elfin magical vibe and then oh no (There's an interview with him from several years saying he likes singing about sex or something lol but I couldn't find it. Not the most graphic music video he has either.) This is fine and I probably can't post the other one it's on YouTube though just called Vulture. This whole attitude is basically like that video about the guy who orders a Manic Pixie 'Prostitute'

I remember people freaking out about the Animal song when it was released and I found it confusing because it didn't seem musically different to her other work. It's art pop yes? But lol yeah how stifling.

Basically most of this post is just this video lol. They're not doing the exact same thing but it's very much the same 'I'm superior energy.' I could have just linked this video and stfu.
    The impulse is pure
    By external interference

Signals get crossed
    By internal incoherence

Everybody got to deviate
    From the norm

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Started watching Schitt's Creek. Had no idea Dan Levy is the son of that guy from American Pie. I also like how they're overreacting to moving into this fairly average motel room (actually for a motel it's really nice, they even have a table and chairs,) because they were super rich before haha. There are far worse places and I've lived in a place that was way worse lol. Then they went to this cafe that was nice and kind of hipster "the town is disgusting, it is gruesome." Obviously that's part of the joke though.
    Update on this (very important.) I vaguely started shipping two characters who definitely aren't end game and probably don't make sense. I went to see how many fanfics might exist for this pairing knowing it would be very few (In recent years I'm not on anyone's wave length in this context) and yeah lol it's 80 out of 9000+ (and it's even sort of cannon,) but not the least popular pairing.

Also (not related to the above ship) Eugene Levy is effortlessly hilarious. Kind of like Jeff Goldblum. Like he can just make anything seem amusing.

Catherine O'Hara's character is great too but that was kind of a given.
    The impulse is pure
    By external interference

Signals get crossed
    By internal incoherence

Everybody got to deviate
    From the norm

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    The documentary was on the BBC called The Psychedelic Drug Trial but I also remember watching a Ted Talk before watching that some time ago and looking it up now that was with Rosalind Watts. I think she was in the documentary too. You used to be able to watch the BBC documentary on YouTube because a few people uploaded it but not sure if it's still possible. Tbh I'm surprised they allowed it because the UK is really strict with drugs and very traditionalist about it eg: David Nutt (also involved in the trial) a previous chief government advisor was asked to resign back in 2009 after saying ecstasy and LSD were less dangerous than alcohol.

I think she did say that a lot of people found their symptoms improved on psilocybin, but I don't remember if it worked permanently for anyone. I think a lot of people improved for about 2 months and the effects were immediate and without side effects (so if it scales fairly well there's an advantage there for a lot of people over anti depressants.) But yeah they'd have to take more at some point and unfortunately after the trial is over that wouldn't be an option in the UK.

Just noticed this has been uploaded recently too:

Thanks for sharing! That one ended on a more positive note, fortunately :-) We have a long way to go, if you consider what happened to David Nutt for simply stating scientific findings about the risks of substances. Apparently we're still not ready to have a rational conversation about this. This isn't a UK thing only. I think we'll get there though. It takes time to undo decades of anti scientific propaganda. The fact that we're used to talk about "alcohol and drugs" says it all. Alcohol is one of the hardest drugs out there. I recently saw a docu series with Michael Pollan, in which he attended a tobacco ceremony. It once again opened my eyes. To a large degree it's not about the substance, but about how it's used.

I can add a personal note to put repeated use in perspective. I've taken anti-depressants for about 16 years. That's a little under 6000 pills in total. Plus an insane amount of various therapies. I've both felt okay-ish and very bad on it. Never could tell if it worked. Just a few experiences with ayahuasca did more for me than all of that combined. A few nights versus 21 years of therapy and 16 years with pills! Some people seem to really benefit from anti-depressants, but if I'm not mistaken roughly 1/3 don't. That are massive numbers of desperate people.

Anyways, have a good one!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote TuanJie View Post
    Thanks for sharing! That one ended on a more positive note, fortunately :-) We have a long way to go, if you consider what happened to David Nutt for simply stating scientific findings about the risks of substances. Apparently we're still not ready to have a rational conversation about this. This isn't a UK thing only. I think we'll get there though. It takes time to undo decades of anti scientific propaganda. The fact that we're used to talk about "alcohol and drugs" says it all. Alcohol is one of the hardest drugs out there. I recently saw a docu series with Michael Pollan, in which he attended a tobacco ceremony. It once again opened my eyes. To a large degree it's not about the substance, but about how it's used.

I can add a personal note to put repeated use in perspective. I've taken anti-depressants for about 16 years. That's a little under 6000 pills in total. Plus an insane amount of various therapies. I've both felt okay-ish and very bad on it. Never could tell if it worked. Just a few experiences with ayahuasca did more for me than all of that combined. A few nights versus 21 years of therapy and 16 years with pills! Some people seem to really benefit from anti-depressants, but if I'm not mistaken roughly 1/3 don't. That are massive numbers of desperate people.

Anyways, have a good one!
    Yeah it's a problem in many places. I just feel like the UK is kind of dragging behind on the wider topic/laws. I know there are a bunch of countries and even US states now that have legalised marijuana or at least it's decriminalised, but it's still technically illegal here. Also with the UK they kind of flip/flop between being liberal and conservative on a range of topics over time instead of linear movement (but this can happen in a short space of time here,) so it always feels more erratic than progress. Psilocybin was actually only made illegal here (a class A drug as well. Yeah it definitely sounds similar to meth lol /s) in 2005.

The issue with alcohol is (from what I've heard) some people have a neurological traits that make them susceptible to becoming addicted to it. In moderation it's OK but the same is true of a lot of drugs, so yeah people are biased because it's legal and tradition. After drinking once I threw up in the street, could barely walk home and then was really ill for a week perhaps it was a coincidence but maybe some form of alcohol poisoning? On two other occasions randomly I had excruciating back pain while drinking that instantly disappeared after throwing up in the pub bathroom. I didn't feel sick just somehow instinctively my body knew to throw up (I hadn't drunk a lot on either of the two back pain occasions and these were drinks I'd had before, no rhyme/reason to it really I went to the doctors and they didn't find anything unusual.) And then people are like 'drugs and alcohol.' Lol.

Yeah anti depressants do help some people and for other people they don't have much of an impact or have some generally unpleasant side effects (I think some negative side effects are common though, even if they help unfortunately.) The impression I get from people talking about them is that in general the effects are milder/more vague I guess? A lot of people I've heard talk about ayahuasca or psychedelics have been more impacted by them, often on a long term basis. Obviously for some people that can be negative too though.

Thanks you too.
    The impulse is pure
    By external interference

Signals get crossed
    By internal incoherence

Everybody got to deviate
    From the norm

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Someone posted some kind of meetup event with cosplayers from The Locked Tomb series and I was like 'what is that?' And then realised it's the series that Gideon The Ninth book is from which I heard before from Strange Aeons YouTube channel.

There's lots of fanart. Obviously the character I thought had an interesting aesthetic is described as a villain hahaha. (Actually looking into it more I don't think they are.)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/be/dd/cf/b...b2464b5570.jpg

They don't look like that on the book cover though.

The Locked Tomb Series, by Tamsyn Muir, follows the dread adventures of Gideon Nav, Harrowhark Nonagesimus, and a host of other goths. These epic science fantasy novels mix funny tone with dark subject matter, and contain swashbuckling action, waves of bones, and lesbian necromancers in space.
    Hmm oh yes I see what that tweet I read before was about now:

there's this trend in book blurbs for genre fiction where someone just goes like bisexual druids in space. what else can i say?? and the thing is it's actually quite a bit. you could say a lot more than that please
    ---

Scotland has passed a bill to make it easier to change your legal gender. They decided not to include non-binary people and Westminster could still block it but pretty cool.

It's funny that she thinks anyone cares. The point is to do whatever you want.

Also Lauren Southern did that in Canada. He might still be legally a man.
    The impulse is pure
    By external interference

Signals get crossed
    By internal incoherence

Everybody got to deviate
    From the norm

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.