Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Re-reading for the third or fourth time:

If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
    --Jack Handey

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    If you ever drop your keys into a river of molten lava, let 'em go, because man, they're gone.
    --Jack Handey

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote WineKitty View Post
    Next up: The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
    Good choice! ;D

This is what I'm reading:
    This series of intimate and penetrating portraits of male addicts provides a unique window on how men relate to drugs and alcohol -- and why so many are drawn to these substances. Representing the full spectrum of American life these tragic histories of a millionaire CEO, a former major league baseball player, a Vietnam war veteran, a gay convict, and others are painful examples of how alcoholism manifests itself in every corner of society. The causes of addiction slowly emerge in a subtle and multifaceted web of factors that show how simplistic the Alcoholics Anonymous and other disease models actually are. It is from these insights and the practicality of treating these men that the author is able to offer new and invaluable advice for devising appropriate treatment strategies.Poignant and deeply moving, Message in a Bottle brings us to a fuller understanding of these men, ourselves, and the world we live in.

http://www.amazon.com/Message-Bottle.../dp/0684827204

Attached Images Attached Images
    "There is a crack in everything
    That's how the light gets in."- Leonard Cohen

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This summer I read two books that I really liked one was "The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Frye" and the other was "Swimming."
    The first was about a retired man who sets off on a long walk to prevent a former co-worker from dying of cancer. The other was about an athlete who's life was competitive swimming and how and why she was able to do this. Very interesting.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I just finished the Hunger Games serous...not sure what to read next
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Catching Fire again...............before the movie comes out.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The Ultimate Medicine: Dialogues with a Realized Master

The Ultimate Medicine is not for those who like their spirituality watered down, but for serious students searching for awareness. Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj (1897-1981) lived and taught in a small apartment in the slums of Bombay. A realized master of the Tantric Nath lineage, he supported himself and his family by selling cheap goods in a small booth on the streets outside his tenement for many years. His life exemplified the concept of absolute nonduality of being. In this volume, Maharaj shares the highest truth of nonduality in his own unique way. His teaching style is abrupt, provocative, and immensely profound, cutting to the core and wasting little effort on inessentials. His terse but potent sayings are known for their ability to trigger shifts in consciousness, just by hearing or reading them."The point is that man freed from his fetters is morality personified. Such a man therefore does not need any moralistic injunctions in order to live righteously. Free a man from his bondage and thereafter everything else will take care of itself. On the other hand, man in his unredeemed state cannot possibly live morally, no matter what moral teaching he is given. It is an intrinsic impossibility, for his very foundation is immorality. That is, he lives a lie, a basic contradiction: functioning in all his relationships as the separate entity he believes himself to be, whereas in reality no such separation exists. His every action therefore does violence to other 'selves' and other 'creatures,' which are only manifestations of the unitary consciousness. So Society had to invent some restraints in order to protect itself from its own worst excesses and thereby maintain some kind of status quo. The resulting arbitrary rules, which vary with place and time and therefore are purely relative, it calls 'morality,' and by upholding this man-invented 'idea' as the highest good–oftentimes sanctioned by religious 'revelation' and scriptures–society has provided man with one more excuse to disregard the quest for liberation or relegate it to a fairly low priority in his scheme of things."
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Currently reading Broken Music. A Memoir by Sting. Say what you want about The Quality of Stings Solo work but he has a deep understanding of song writing and musical theory, he is very well spoken and well read having been a former English Teacher before his music career with The Police. Though it may be long winded to fans only interested in getting to the nuts and bolts of his life, it works in revealing not just Sting but just as important Gordon Sumner (Stings real name) Young Gordon growing up in a time of Masculine thinking, where Men had to be Men.

Hearing The Beatles, Rogers and Hammerstein, Jazz music that will shape young Gordon's life, his introduction to English literature and discovering The Guitar and Jimmy Hendrix for the first time. Even the stuff in the Adult Stings life is in its own way interesting, The Trip with his wife to a ceremony in Brazil, to take part in eating the Ayachua plant a holistic plant said to have been taken by The Writer William S Boroughs.

Sting may be irrelevant to a modern generation, he may be forgotten by those who consider his music bland and absolete and while his flame may be lost to more modern era acts, his lyrics still speak to us, he is an artist of variable styles in corporating, World, Jazz, Reggae, Punk, Blues into his music. I could skip a few pages but I have been listen to alot of his music again, I like him, I have the same musical thought process.

Don't expect a long autobiography, Sting breaks it down into the most important people and events that shaped his life and don't expect him if were or are a Police fan to go into his hate relationship with Stewart Copeland, Yes Stewart Copeland hates Sting.
    Friends Together Together Forever

VickieKitties's Avatar Living irl
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tonight? People magazine. Bubblegum for the mind.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Coffee View Post
    I read this today and I quite enjoyed it:

I'm so glad you recommended this book to moi! <3 I still haven't finished it, made it halfway... and recently returned the book back to the school library. I just been so busy with schoolwork. I did order my very own copy off Amazon yesterday morning though; it should arrive next week or so

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cosmos by Carl Sagan, and another book that shall remain unnamed.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and up next is The Road which I heard about in the Random Thought thread.

I'm also technically reading The Walking Dead, Red Rover Charlie, and Crossed whenever the new issues come out.
    Keep it cool. Cool people never show emotion. Keep it cool.

Yossarian's Avatar Television Man
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Jack Kerouac - Maggie Cassidy
    "Hey sexy mama, wanna kill all humans?"

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.