Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My new job is making me more depressed, help?

It was a pretty big deal for me to get a job. It's not THAT new, I've been there almost four months. I got over the initial anxiety, however extreme it felt at times. I'm usually really good at bottling my emotions :/

BUT, a while back ago, a girl quit, and so I had to take her shifts for that week. I was patient about it coz it was a sudden thing, so I figured I would take the extra shifts while they looked for new people.
    That was such a big mistake. Now my boss refuses to give me less than 5 shifts a week! This suckkksss for me big time because I could barely deal with 4 shifts a week. Not only that but it's 5 shifts in a ROW, no weekend days(so no extra money), AND they ALL start at 7am! For someone who has trouble sleeping at night due to anxiety, this is SUCH a huge deal.

I've been telling my boss for the last 3 weeks that 5 days a week is too much, and every week he says 'its just for this week' !! which is a lie!! And he keeps saying he doesn't have anyone else, which is ridiculous, because those new people that were hired haven't even been trained to do morning shifts, he's been giving them closing shifts. So there is no evidence that he's even trying to find people to work. He doesn't want to give the peopel who already work there morning shifts, coz he thinks they're too slow (how are they supposed to get better if they dont practice/learn!)
    I'm so upset at this point. I'm finding it impossible to "fake smile" and pretend I'm ok, because I'm so pissed off at my boss, I can't even look at him without feeling sad. It's worse because all the morning shifts are with him. Not to mention the girls at my work are the partying type, and I find it so hard not to feel left out when they're talkign about their nights out. It didn't bother me before but since the 5 shifts and lack of sleep, I feel horrible. Everyone I talk to about it either says to confront my boss (i already have damnit, several times), or to suck it up, which just makes me more upset because they don't understand how hard it is for me.

I can't quit because my parents have been going through a tough time, money-wise. This is my first job, so I don't have enough experience for someone else to hire me. Even then I feel like I'd get a bad reference because I've been acting all sad lately at work. I feel so stuck

(sorry, it's a a lot to read i guess)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I know this is hard for you, and when I have found myself in difficult situations whether job or social I try to find something positive to focus on and if I'm honest with myself there is always something positive, even if I'm so pissed/down/scared/whatever I just want it all to go away. You could look at the positive that your boss feels that you are doing an incredible job when he obviously doesn't feel the same about some other people when he doesn't want to put them on your day shift. My son would tell me that I have a Pollyanna attitude that is unrealistic when something was bothering him and I would say;'learn, and grow from it and it may not be want you want but something good will come from the experience.' I told him that if I did not have that attitude I would have crumbled long ago.

Only you can decide what is best for you, and whatever your decision it will be the best one for you. Good Luck
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Do you have any vacation time saved up? How about sick time? In this situation I think your boss is taking advantage of you. If it is not part of your regular hours you maybe able to say no I can't work that day. Unfortunately with the way the economic situation is. This type of doubling up work and expecting fewer employees to do the work is common. Maybe suggest someone to your boss who can be trained to assist you.

I work in retail and our bosses are so reluctant to give us hours merchandise that is to be on the floor sits in the back because employees didn't have the hours or manpower to get it on the sales floor.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply. Good news is I finally have less than 5 days. At least for this week. In fact I only work 3 days this week. I guess my mood was finally starting to influence my work because I also got told off for ignoring customers. Oh well. I'm not complaining. Thanks everyone for the advice. I just really needed to vent.

I think my manager is also just a bit inexperienced coz he's 19 and is a bit too involved in the drama of the place as well.

I really appreciate the replies. I'm going to uni in march as well, which means I won't be working much. I'm trying to get a bit more experience in other areas, I recently signed up to volunteer for an outdoor cinema. Just need more experience to get out of that place.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    FlirtyFlirty
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Good for you for branching out and trying new things. Good luck to you in school.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no one's definition of your life;
    Define Yourself
    -Robert Frost-

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I started my second year of university recently and I feel really crappy again about work. I asked for two days a week now that I'm back but I still feel like I can't deal with it. It's just that uni takes so much time outside of classes to do well and it was a huge struggle for me to complete assignments when i WASN'T working let alone now... Plus it doesn't help work makes me feel really crap in general... And I'm seriously doubting my ability in the major I'm studying. I did well last year but everything is so much harder this time around, I think my own high expectattions of myself will ultimately make me fail this semester... Anyway I've been applying for other jobs but I don't think I have enough experience

When I think about what a relief it must be for my parents that they don't have to give me money anymore I know that I just can't quit... I'd feel too guilty.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Don't give, don't loss hope and hold on your faith. Each year of course the lesson gets harder and harder that's why you have to focus on the positive side of life so that you can go on always tell to your self "I can do it and I will make it on top" it's your dream and it's your goal. I know you can make it specially if your an achiever.

Looking for another job is alright, don't think that you are not capable because you don't have much experienced. Instead think that there are some thinks they don't you and you know.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.