Thread: hello

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hello

I am 16 years old and I have had Social Anxiety for as long as I can remember. I didn't always understand why I was so shy and unsociable until last summer. I had had dinner with my grandmother and my mother had talked with me about working on my eye contact. Later that night I had gone on the internet determined to find out why basic social situations did not commute to me and many Google searches later I found a website that talked about social anxiety.

As I read the symptoms list I started crying, everything it said described me and that scared me. I had been suffering my whole life and I finally knew why and that I was not alone, but I still had a disorder that I could not fix on my own. I started to sort of study myself, every time I was in any sort of social situation I payed attention to when I reacted, which was immediately when I was in the vicinity of anyone I was not related to . Now, almost a year later.

I have started seeing a therapist and a lot of what he is saying makes sense to me and I try to implement his teachings, but I am left with one big problem. As I said I have had social anxiety for as long as I remember and it has stunted my growth. No, not in a physical way, it has stunted my growth as a functioning human being. What i mean is, as others learn how to act and how to respond to the many things that happen when you interact with others I did not. Now I don't know where my social anxiety ends and normal social interaction begins. But I have only just begun my journey to becoming a somewhat social person and I am optimistic to what the future will hold.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Hello Hello (Cool username, pretty epic saying hi)

Yeah, I know what you're going through. 18 here, pretty much had anxiety my whole life as well, can't really remember a point when it began. And the feeling that it has stunted my growth as well as a somewhat human being. As hard as therapy and recovery may seem, simply remember this...

There will be ups and downs. And when it feels like things are down, they aren't going back to how they were before, however much it feels that way. A step backwards is not a leap back to the start.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Welcome to anxiety space!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome!
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Hello, Hello!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site!

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.