Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hi, from another closed forum.

Hi. I was a member of another anxiety forum for many, many years. I, like most folks here, suffer with anxiety disorder, more specifically PTSD, GAD and PD. My disorder began physical signs at a relatively early age (stomach problems in my single digit childhood years), grew to more intense physical signs in my teens (like bleeding hands/feet and colitis) and peaked at the age of 30 with a complete physical and mental breakdown.

It was not until the age of 30 that I came to the realization that my physical problems and mental focus was not a common occurrence among all folks. Since that time, I have spent the last 25+ years studying anxiety disorders and learning all I can about this terrible mental problem.

At this point in my life, I am happier, calmer and practically without any serious anxiety problems. That is not to say that they are gone. I am saying that I have learned to honor my anxiety disorder with learned techniques to keep anxiety problems at a minimum. In addition, I take a small dose of Lexapro each day to help in this process. And it looks like I will be a lifer when it comes to medication (20+ years so far).

Anyway, having been a moderator at the other anxiety forum and having lived with these anxiety disorders my entire life, I may have a few positive things to occasionally add to conversations. And I am just that, positive in my outlook when it comes to anxiety disorders. When I was diagnosed at the age of 30, I was listed as severe to extreme in my level of anxiety. And, I had been that way my entire life. These days, I am a happily married man with a great son. I am a teacher and a musician/performer who can get on stage without a breakdown or attack. I have come a long way since the darkest days when I could not leave my home (or even my room). I spent years staring in the face of the demon anxiety and struggling to breathe/think with daily, multiple anxiety attacks, and yet today I can enjoy the fall weather outside like any "normal" person. It was being a part of a forum that helped me more than any other thing to learn to move forward (tiny steps at a time) and get my life back, even better (much better) than before the breakdown.

I am a straight shooter and rarely will mince words. I always work to temper my suggestions with a gentle, but honest tone. I have learned that moving forward, when afflicted with anxiety disorder, is likely the most difficult thing a person can do in their life. So I work to be a positive person, with positive suggestions/energy to help people on this loneliest of journeys.

I am not a doctor, I am just a Bozo on this bus. However, I am a Bozo who has done everything wrong and I hope, has learned from all those wrong decisions. If one of my wrong turns can help keep another person from making a similar wrong turn, I would like to be a part of the positive directions.

Anyway, my story is way too long to list here. If I get into the swing of this new forum, you may actually hear some of the story. Thank you for hosting this forum, these forums are what saved my life and has saved the lives of countless others.

Take care,

Mike

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Mike View Post
    Hi. I was a member of another anxiety forum for many, many years. I, like most folks here, suffer with anxiety disorder, more specifically PTSD, GAD and PD. My disorder began physical signs at a relatively early age (stomach problems in my single digit childhood years), grew to more intense physical signs in my teens (like bleeding hands/feet and colitis) and peaked at the age of 30 with a complete physical and mental breakdown.

It was not until the age of 30 that I came to the realization that my physical problems and mental focus was not a common occurrence among all folks. Since that time, I have spent the last 25+ years studying anxiety disorders and learning all I can about this terrible mental problem.

At this point in my life, I am happier, calmer and practically without any serious anxiety problems. That is not to say that they are gone. I am saying that I have learned to honor my anxiety disorder with learned techniques to keep anxiety problems at a minimum. In addition, I take a small dose of Lexapro each day to help in this process. And it looks like I will be a lifer when it comes to medication (20+ years so far).

Anyway, having been a moderator at the other anxiety forum and having lived with these anxiety disorders my entire life, I may have a few positive things to occasionally add to conversations. And I am just that, positive in my outlook when it comes to anxiety disorders. When I was diagnosed at the age of 30, I was listed as severe to extreme in my level of anxiety. And, I had been that way my entire life. These days, I am a happily married man with a great son. I am a teacher and a musician/performer who can get on stage without a breakdown or attack. I have come a long way since the darkest days when I could not leave my home (or even my room). I spent years staring in the face of the demon anxiety and struggling to breathe/think with daily, multiple anxiety attacks, and yet today I can enjoy the fall weather outside like any "normal" person. It was being a part of a forum that helped me more than any other thing to learn to move forward (tiny steps at a time) and get my life back, even better (much better) than before the breakdown.

I am a straight shooter and rarely will mince words. I always work to temper my suggestions with a gentle, but honest tone. I have learned that moving forward, when afflicted with anxiety disorder, is likely the most difficult thing a person can do in their life. So I work to be a positive person, with positive suggestions/energy to help people on this loneliest of journeys.

I am not a doctor, I am just a Bozo on this bus. However, I am a Bozo who has done everything wrong and I hope, has learned from all those wrong decisions. If one of my wrong turns can help keep another person from making a similar wrong turn, I would like to be a part of the positive directions.

Anyway, my story is way too long to list here. If I get into the swing of this new forum, you may actually hear some of the story. Thank you for hosting this forum, these forums are what saved my life and has saved the lives of countless others.

Take care,

Mike
    Hi Mike,

Which forum were you a moderator on? I was one on another site, but I don't remember you being one on that site?
    Anyway, welcome to AxS!

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Welcome
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hellos!

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Hi Mike

Welcome to AnxietySpace. (Great intro post!!) Your a musician? What do you play? So cool!!!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hi all. Thanks for the welcome!

I helped moderate at anxietyhelp.org for about 10 years. I'm a guitar player (like nearly every other person in the world) My degree is in classical guitar performance, but I performed jazz for about 30 years and currently I am into bluegrass.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Mike View Post

I helped moderate at anxietyhelp.org for about 10 years. I'm a guitar player (like nearly every other person in the world) My degree is in classical guitar performance, but I performed jazz for about 30 years and currently I am into bluegrass.
    I came from anxietyhelp too. WTF happened to the site? I have to admit I like this site better with the layout though.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote foxy View Post
    I came from anxietyhelp too. WTF happened to the site?
    Don't know. The Anxietyhelp forum had it's ups and downs. In recent years, the number of folks who used the site dwindled. It may be that the owner of the site decided to take it down due to lack of interest (this is just a guess). Over the years, it served thousands of folks. It was a good site and lots of folks are sorry to see it go. It is great that there are other sites, like this one, that can continue to serve the anxiety community.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Mike View Post
    Don't know. The Anxietyhelp forum had it's ups and downs. In recent years, the number of folks who used the site dwindled. It may be that the owner of the site decided to take it down due to lack of interest (this is just a guess). Over the years, it served thousands of folks. It was a good site and lots of folks are sorry to see it go. It is great that there are other sites, like this one, that can continue to serve the anxiety community.
    It's a shame he didn't give it someone else or even merge all the posts with another site

Was a bit low he didn't tell us any reason or say goodbye.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you anxietyspace, though!!!!!!

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Is that you in your avatar?

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Mike View Post

Bluegrass, eh? awesome!
    I play the guitar myself, mostly folk/bluegrass/lil bit of country sorta deal. Tho depends on what instrument I use.

Welcome to the site, Mike!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yep. That is me in the moving pic. Taken about 10 years ago or so. A little less hair and a little more gray in the temple area.

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Welcome to the community!

http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.