Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Serious Social Anxiety Disorder?

So I have OCD and it's been interfering with my life. Then I found out that I might have Social Anxiety.

An Example:

Today, I went out and took the subway. I was supposed to go to some place I had never been so I wasn't sure where to get off. I was too nervous to get out of my seat and check the map to see if I was at my stop so obviously I missed my stop. I got off so that I could go backwards to get to my missed stop. I was lost of course and I was panicking that people might think I was lost or was a tourist and didn't want to look like some loser. So I went outside from the subway station pretending it was my stop. I ended up getting even more lost and eventualy took a cab back home because I was so upset.
    This is just one instance of many.

- I am so afraid of what people may think of me. I worry constantly if I look normal, I am afraid that I well get embaressed in public so I avoid public transportation. I avoid looking in people's eyes, I am so self conscious that I can't even go eat by myself outside.
    - I don't ever feel like going outside because I feel like I will mess up.

Does anyone have any tips as to what exact disorder this is? What I can do to stop it, and if anyone has experienced something similar to this, what actions they took to stop it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    omg dude, i know exactly what you mean.

i've looked it up, it is social anxiety disorder aka your super super shy.

i got a self help book called something like, 10 ways to stop shyness or something like that... it's good and it gives you little exercises to practice. I honestly think a therapist is perfect because you can talk about what's bothering you, and they won't judge you, they just want to help you and they can help give you tips to fix it.

i care way too much what people think of me, and have a very low self esteem, but i tell myself that 'it doesn't matter what they think' over and over again. I take time to do deep breathes and calm myself down, because if you think about it, it's silly to get so worked up over asking someone a question or getting lost. I also tell myself that i'm not the only one that gets lost, other people get lost all the time, it's just a fact of life.

one thing i have a problem with is talking to people i don't really know and actually caring on a conversation with them. open ended questions! think of questions that can't be answered with a yes or no, so that the conversation will continue to flow. i.e.:

BAD: Did you like dinner?
    GOOD: What did you like/dislike about dinner?

i feel for you.

omg. blushing is the worst!! haha.

good luck.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've been in situations similar to your subway situation before. It is beyond frustrating... I can't even begin to explain how freaked out I got. I felt like if I made it clear that I was super lost, people around me would think I am freakin stupid *sigh*

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Actually I could see myself doing this. I have done some stuff like this in the past. I once walked two miles out of the way on an extremely hot day to avoid someone. I'm a lot less like this, but I don't believe that I am capable of not feeling self conscious in most social situations with people I'm upset with or believe don't like me.

The best thing I actually do is give myself mini pep talks.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote merc View Post
    Actually I could see myself doing this. I have done some stuff like this in the past. I once walked two miles out of the way on an extremely hot day to avoid someone. I'm a lot less like this, but I don't believe that I am capable of not feeling self conscious in most social situations with people I'm upset with or believe don't like me.

The best thing I actually do is give myself mini pep talks.
    Avoidance and anxiety go hand-and-hand, I think. We do some crazy things just to avoid people and our fears

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.