Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Okay or not okay ??

Not quite sure how to react I've just been told my bad panic attack in front of my friends was hilarious... This is when I'm screaming at the top of my lungs, collapsed on the floor hyperventilating in a ball on a night out, outside a club before I passed out..... How the hell am I supposed to react to that ??

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Easy - those people aren't your friends. Drop 'em. That's how you react.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote IllusionOfHappiness View Post
    Easy - those people aren't your friends. Drop 'em. That's how you react.
    Yep. I agree. A true friend doesn't laugh at their friend's pain.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    Yep. I agree. A true friend doesn't laugh at their friend's pain.
    agree 100% (hug)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    They've never seen anyone panic though they didn't understand it which is why it was funny apparently they did have a lot to drink as well.

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That wasn't very nice of them
    It's awfully hard to maintain friendships when your friends don't understand your struggles. That's what I've found through experience, anyway.
    Hope you can communicate to them that it bothered you and that they understand and apologize.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Chloe View Post
    They've never seen anyone panic though they didn't understand it which is why it was funny apparently they did have a lot to drink as well.
    I'm not sure I understand why they thought it was funny. I mean, if they didn't understand what was going on, the least they could have done is ask if you're alright. Friends do that. When someone is screaming, collapses and then is having trouble breathing, they typically ask if you're OK. At least. I realize it may be a difficult thing to talk about, but have you talked to them about it?
    Bereavement is a darkness impenetrable to the imagination of the unbereaved. ~Iris Murdoch

Your girlfriend's silence might be her loudest scream.

If you still have more dreams than regrets, congratulations. You haven't gotten old yet.

Spend every moment like it's your last. Hug her, kiss her, hold her, like it's the last time that you ever will. Because it might be.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote James View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why they thought it was funny. I mean, if they didn't understand what was going on, the least they could have done is ask if you're alright. Friends do that. When someone is screaming, collapses and then is having trouble breathing, they typically ask if you're OK. At least. I realize it may be a difficult thing to talk about, but have you talked to them about it?
    I'm interested to know if you've talked to them about it as well. As in, what do they have to say for themselves? I get that most people aren't familiar with what panic attacks look like, but honestly anyone with half a brain knows that it's not funny when someone is clearly distressed - drunk or otherwise. Have you known them for long? Is this typical behaviour for them?

Where can I sign up to kick them in the face?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've spoken to them since, one of them gets panic attacks and she was trying to lift my head up so I could breath clearly instead of being in an awkward position, her friend was saying what she's said to the first girl before but she was grabbing my arms trying to get me up which didn't help. Whereas the third girl though it was funny because she thought I was pissed and found it funny I was screaming. She also thought it was funny that the whole car journey back to my house I was vibrating and wouldn't let go of her arm. I'm not the closet with her there's a bit of clashing quiet often so I know who it was that was laughing cause when the other two girls repeated what they were saying that night I recognised them. I've since spoken to them the girl who panics completely relates and is there if I want to talk, the second girl understands but doesn't see why I want to keep it such a big secret and why I'm making a big deal out of it whereas the third girl just told me to get over it it was a f*ing panic attack whereby when she shouted this telling the rest of the college group I get panic attacks after I said to all of them please don't tell anyone I don't want other people knowing

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It is kind of the reaction I expected from them when I spoke to them as well so it's not out of the blue. My best friends know about it but they didn't since they're only friends if you get me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Chloe View Post
    I've since spoken to them the girl who panics completely relates and is there if I want to talk, the second girl understands but doesn't see why I want to keep it such a big secret and why I'm making a big deal out of it whereas the third girl just told me to get over it it was a f*ing panic attack whereby when she shouted this telling the rest of the college group I get panic attacks after I said to all of them please don't tell anyone I don't want other people knowing
    Well it's good that at least one of them has their head on straight.

The third girl should have respected your wishes to keep it quiet. Doesn't matter if she thinks it's a big deal or not, it's a big deal to you and a real friend would recognize that and stay silent about it.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Seriously? How the heck is that funny? I don't understand some people. Not acceptable to find that funny. I actually dumped a guy who thought they were ridiculous & told me to get the [BEEP] over it whenever I would have one.

That's okay though. I got back at him by telling all his co-workers that he has a "small package".

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's just how they are if they don't understand something it's either weird or funny. Things have been sorted out now though two of three of them understand where I'm coming from and I can talk to one of them loads about it and have helped her deal with her attacks but you can't win them all. They are good for me though they get me out doing things I wouldn't normally so it's a whatever I guess

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Chloe View Post
    It's just how they are if they don't understand something it's either weird or funny. Things have been sorted out now though two of three of them understand where I'm coming from and I can talk to one of them loads about it and have helped her deal with her attacks but you can't win them all. They are good for me though they get me out doing things I wouldn't normally so it's a whatever I guess
    Oh okay. As long as things are okay now.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.