Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Decreased Perception of Colour in Depression

Is it true that the world looks gray when you are depressed?

Science may back up the sense that colors just don’t seem as bright during a major depression.
    Recent research published by Dr. Emanuel Bubl of the Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy at Albert-Ludwigs-University of Frieburg in Germany, and his colleagues, showed that the retinas of depressed patients were less sensitive to contrast.

Art, literature, and popular culture, today, and throughout history, make reference to depression as “blackness” or “gray,” or tell people who are sad to “brighten up.” Previous research has demonstrated that depressed patients themselves perceive that their vision is not as acute as when they were not depressed, and that they see less visual contrast.
    Full article: http://psychcentral.com/news/2010/07...ion/15826.html

I wonder if this is really true? Definitely has given me something to think about, as I've noticed particularly when it comes to video games I don't quite see things that other people seem to do.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I know that when I feel good, I notice colors more often. Like I'll look up at the sky and clouds more and go, "wow, what pretty blue and white!" When I'm anxious or depressed, I tend to have tunnel vision and not notice anything including color.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    I know that when I feel good, I notice colors more often. Like I'll look up at the sky and clouds more and go, "wow, what pretty blue and white!" When I'm anxious or depressed, I tend to have tunnel vision and not notice anything including color.
    Likewise. Everything is just simply whatever when I am feeling awfully down. When I am feeling great or at least just decent, I notice colors and whatnot more; not just that, but I also see the beauty in many things I wouldn't when I am depressed.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.