Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    StressedStressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unable to participate because no one gives you a chance

Do you guys ever feel like you miss out on things because it always requires permission or invitation from someone else and you never get invited or you're never given permission? You can say that you want to sign up for something all you want, but if the person in charge doesn't like you, you never get anywhere.

This includes stuff at work and at school. Some jobs and some activities at school require certain types of experience or leadership, but if you're never given the opportunity for such things, how are you supposed to learn what you need so that you can move up in positions for jobs or move up to other officer positions?

I just feel like people who get voted because they're popular are the only ones considered even if they don't do their jobs very well just because they held a title that other people want to see. Even if you might be a better candidate for work or for school, you always get ignored because you didn't have a title.

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote toaster little View Post
    I just feel like people who get voted because they're popular are the only ones considered even if they don't do their jobs very well just because they held a title that other people want to see. Even if you might be a better candidate for work or for school, you always get ignored because you didn't have a title.
    You are absolutely correct...
    The sad thing is, I HAVE a title, and I supervise half of these idiots and they still don't let me do anything. I'm a manager. Yet they take over for me when I'm supposed to be in charge. And I hate to say it, but school and work are often popularity contests.
    What you honestly have to do is prove them wrong. Show them you're intelligent. Show them you're more mature and more capable than they are, it will really get you places in the long run
    My boss just told me today how responsible I am and that she trusts me enough to handle our new project on my own.
    I know it's hard, but you'll get your vengeance someday. Success is the best form of revenge, just remember that
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    StressedStressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Keddy View Post
    You are absolutely correct...
    The sad thing is, I HAVE a title, and I supervise half of these idiots and they still don't let me do anything. I'm a manager. Yet they take over for me when I'm supposed to be in charge. And I hate to say it, but school and work are often popularity contests.
    What you honestly have to do is prove them wrong. Show them you're intelligent. Show them you're more mature and more capable than they are, it will really get you places in the long run
    My boss just told me today how responsible I am and that she trusts me enough to handle our new project on my own.
    I know it's hard, but you'll get your vengeance someday. Success is the best form of revenge, just remember that
    I hope so. Some people steal your chances for these "titles" because they get more votes in popularity contests. On paper, they look like they have so much experience and that they'd make great candidates but I've known people like this and they usually don't do much in their positions. They sign up for 5 clubs and can barely pay attention to one. I had a girl in one of my clubs who was in one of the positions below me and she was rarely available to help me out or go to important meetings. She always had to catch up on the info from me. She also waited until I saw her at school to find out instead of asking me by email or by phone. I'm tempted to say this shows she doesn't care but it's in the past and there's no use complaining about it.

If you ask them what they did in school, they love to list every position and every club but if you were to ask them for details, they wouldn't answer very well or they would make something up. I'd much rather have an applicant who focused on 1-2 clubs and participated in many projects instead of someone who had 5-7 positions in clubs and barely had time for each one.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    By the way: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials

The popularity contests you're talking about were grounded in the Protestant Work Ethic again. It was the idea that everyone in society was entitled to judge others for not performing sufficient good works to represent a predestined calling to overcome total depravity and original sin.

Incompetence rules because incompetent people can be charismatic instead. In turn, other people vote for them as supposedly having a predestined calling through the performance of good works.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, I won’t get invited that’s why I would need to pay money to hang out with people. The thing is though that even if you pay to go to a cooking class or something, you still won’t make friends or anything because everyone else went with their clique already and they don’t want to talk to some stranger that went to a cooking class by himself.
    I don?t like being around or interacting with other people, this is my personality. I am a jerk - I don?t mean to be, but whenever I speak up I say something rude. It?s just the way that I am. Don?t bother me.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.