Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Gay Rights (or Lack Thereof) in Boston

This makes me angry. I've grown up in South Boston, was raised Irish Catholic, and now I'm finally coming to terms with my own sexuality and realizing how much people around here dislike LGBT people such as myself. This explains why I cannot come out to my parents.
    And yes, I'm gay.

"Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh maintained an optimistic tone today about whether gay rights activists and organizers of the city’s traditional St. Patrick’s Day parade could reach an agreement providing for an “inclusive” parade, ending years of exclusion of gay people from the event.
    But one of the groups participating in the parade, a Catholic school in the town of Harvard known for its band and float featuring a waving St. Patrick, vowed today to pull out of the celebration because school officials felt parade organizers had already conceded too much.
    Organizers this year have said that lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender groups are welcome to march as long as they do not wear T-shirts or hold signs that refer to sexual orientation. One group has already said that its members will march and abide by those rules."

You can read the article I'm quoting on here:
    http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...NqI/story.html
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I highly suspect one of my cousins from there is gay. And yes, it is very homophobic around there.

Skippy's Avatar Pickin' and Grinnin'!
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Y'know what's funny is how humanity can make the same mistakes over and over and over....first they treated (and sometimes still do) other kinds of people like different races like shit, now they go after gay people....but I bet you anything, what would happen if Aliens came to visit let alone live among us. They'd be treated in much the same manner, cept the problem would be religious people wouldn't have some bible based excuse to harm them, as when it was written was a dark time where humans had extremely little knowledge of what even was real and what wasn't, let alone any knowledge of how the world, space etc, works. Tho I'm sure they'd twist some kinda bible verse into some justification for their actions.

It seems the furthur along technology and our understanding of the universe gets, the more things like religion lose its foothold.
    This isn't the dark ages where they can commit total monstrosities anymore saying god willed it and that if god says its ok to hurt people then it is.

So tired of the Xenophobic bullshit; we're old enough and developed enough as a species to start knowing right from wrong, just that people are
    too conditioned and lazy to do anything about it. The universe is starting to show (we have only VERY recently (past 150 years) started with science to learn about our surroundings) its a very diverse place. People need to get over that.

Natey's Avatar Fightin' For Freedom
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would of assumed Boston, Massachusetts would be one of the most gay friendly towns in America considering how liberal they are.

I understand you are gay, but that floats and parades often associated with homosexuals tend to be over sexualized and harmful to children. Just look at a gay pride parade! I just don't think that making the type of person you sleep with your main identity. Any person is worth so much more than the type of person that sleep with. I am straight, but I don't make that my identity. I know there is so much more to life than what type of person you sleep with.
    ANXIETY ALWAYS LIES

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.