Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Increased Saliva/Swallowing from Anxiety

I noticed that when I get extremely anxious, or right after I've had a panic attack, I have a lot more saliva in my mouth and I also swallow a lot more. It's really uncomfortable. One time I was driving to school and I was in the middle of a traffic jam, and I got anxious that I was going to be late for class and started producing so much saliva that I started to drool. Ugh.
    I don't know if the increased spit and the swallowing are connected, but when I'm anxious I just have the reflex to swallow. It's a nasty feeling and it causes my mouth to dry out.
    Does anyone else have this from anxiety?
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Normally after I panic my mouth is dead dry, but I know if in panicking quietly (not panting loudly ie when someone's nearby(don't ask me how I control it so I'm quiet when I panic it's weird)) but instead of hyperventilating I almost choke myself trying to swallow never quiet had the drooling kind of anxiety though then again I don't generally have over active saliva glands when I'm not anxious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have a similar problem, but the opposite. My mouth gets really dry and I'm not sure but I think I unconsciously try to make myself produce more saliva, but then I end up swallowing air. Good things do not happen when you swallow air. So eventually I realized that if I keep a bottle of water near me to sip on when I'm anxious, it disrupts the whole situation. Hope that helps.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Yup, I have this problem too. And I'm constantly trying to swallow and trying not to look like I'm dribbling. It's awkward. :/
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Oh my gosh Keddy, I've not had that experience I think I more often feel like I can not swallow.

nothing's Avatar Habitual Failure
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm the complete opposite, when I panic my mouth and throat get really dry and I feel like I'm choking to death. Drinking water doesn't help because my throat tightens up and I can't swallow it. I have to put a small amount of water in my mouth and slowly work up to drinking it. Pretty sad actually, sometimes I can't even drink water correctly...

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I have excess saliva as it is (sexy, right?), so I do some extra swallowing, probably more so in social situations. Makes me feel a bit awkward, but eh. That's just the way my body works...awkwardly and with great discomfort lol.

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I tend to produce less saliva when I'm really anxious, which leads to having a harder time swallowing as well as nervous ticks like coughing or clearing my throat frequently.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    This happens to me on public transport. On the bus I will be sitting there salivating. eventually comes a GULP! Loud and I swear everyone looks over at me when it happens. Ok so that's cleared. Minutes later mouth full of saliva.....GULP!! ahhh. GULP GULP all the way home. embarrassing!
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.