Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    kc1895's Avatar KFC Hipster
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What is your biggest fear?

What is your biggest fear in a social situation? Are you afraid of being judged? Being misunderstood? Or do you fear the anxiety of being in a social situation so you avoid it at all costs?

My biggest fear is being completely ignored in a small group of people. I try to follow along with the conversation while maintaining eye contact with people around me, except no one wants to look at me, and they continue the conversation with each other while I start to become invisible. Its as if once you stop talking, your physical presence starts to fade away and they notice less and less of your physical form, and then at some point you disappear entirely. (You might notice they walk away or leave you without noticing you're still there.) I might be exaggerating a little, but this form of neglect has happened to me many times in my life. Its the reason I avoid meeting groups of strangers or people I don't know. I feel that my time could be better spent alone or elsewhere than to be ignored and treated as non-existent. I put up a defense mechanism so that I feel indifferent or uninterested in meeting new people because of this fear.

Does anyone have a similar fear?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    My biggest fear is centred around men. I have this irrational fear that one of these days a man will hit me, bundle me off in a car or rape me. Because of this I get anxious at work if any of my male coworkers crowd me out behind the till or come into the audio cupboard. People have even noticed this and think I'm not a Huggy person and it's funny but It's not and it really really scares me. I don't like people who are drug or even worse on drugs because of the unpredictability of their behaviour and the chance of them turning on me. If a car pulls up next to me in the street I immediately take in a big breath ready to scream and bunch up my fists. All of these are completely really unfounded and yet they're reoccurring thoughts when I panic or I'm anxious. They're reoccurring in nightmares as well which is stupid since I've never been affected by anything of that type of nature or anyone I know either. So it's not quiet a social thing but it's still my biggest fear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Being dyslexic I often have to take a moment and structure my thoughts in my head before speaking, When under pressure I find this really difficult and feel I come across as stupid or unintelligent. It is like I can become mute and no thoughts come to mind, I speak too fast and end up saying my closing point before anything else.
    life---> <---me

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    My biggest fear in a social situation is being around large groups of people my age. This fear comes from when I was in high school and I ended up being traumatized from most of the social situations there. I didn't really have any friends and I always had trouble finding a place to sit at lunch because no one wanted to be near me, and everyone said I was mentally retarded (which is very far from the truth). I don't think there was ever one day in high school that I did not get teased, made fun of, or laughed at. I was afraid to raise my hand in class because people made comments every time I answered a question. I'm extremely socially awkward and shy but none of that warranted or justified what people did to me in high school.
    I'm in my 20s now and I'm still terrified of people my age because they're judgmental. I still get laughed at and teased sometimes at college now too so I generally try to stay away from people and not make any friends.
    I'm also really scared of having a panic attack in public, especially at work. I don't think I'd be able to live down everyone's reaction to that.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    My biggest fear?

That I truly am worthless.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My biggest fear is that people will hate me. However, since I generally assume that no one will be friendly to a loser like me. I tend to be sort of stand-offish. In my case it becomes a vicious cycle.

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Being judged/misunderstood is pretty high on my list because it's happened so much in the past. Otherwise, fear of anxiety itself is a big one for me as well. Anxiety about having anxiety. What fun.

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote kc1895 View Post
    What is your biggest fear in a social situation? Are you afraid of being judged? Being misunderstood? Or do you fear the anxiety of being in a social situation so you avoid it at all costs?

My biggest fear is being completely ignored in a small group of people. I try to follow along with the conversation while maintaining eye contact with people around me, except no one wants to look at me, and they continue the conversation with each other while I start to become invisible. Its as if once you stop talking, your physical presence starts to fade away and they notice less and less of your physical form, and then at some point you disappear entirely. (You might notice they walk away or leave you without noticing you're still there.) I might be exaggerating a little, but this form of neglect has happened to me many times in my life. Its the reason I avoid meeting groups of strangers or people I don't know. I feel that my time could be better spent alone or elsewhere than to be ignored and treated as non-existent. I put up a defense mechanism so that I feel indifferent or uninterested in meeting new people because of this fear.

Does anyone have a similar fear?
    This 100%. I hate hate hate groups with a passion. Especially when everyone is talking and joining in on the conversation and you just sit there quietly thinking of something to say. And when you do say it...no one listens or even responds. This actually happened to me earlier today at work...great feeling -____-. But I guess my main fear is being judged negatively in some fashion. When the attention focuses on me I become hyper aware of everything I'm doing and it makes too scared too actually say/do anything so I just come off as really aloof and awkward...which makes people judge me even harsher =/

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Public speaking is my biggest fear. I wonder if it'll ever get any easier for me.
    I'm confident when it comes to one-on-one conversations and small groups (although it hasn't always been the case)

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    My biggest fear in a Social Situation is coming off awkward. If anyone here has seen Frozen, you'll understand this reference. For me it's like Elsa fearing her power so much that it shows even worse as she keeps worrying about it but it's very hard not to. So for me my fear of coming off awkward only shows worse as I keep naturally fearing it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    My biggest fear in a Social Situation is coming off awkward.

This is the behavior I fear that others hate about me. May as well add strange etc.

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I have many fears and my life has pretty much been controlled by them for a while, so I suppose my biggest fear is that I'll never be able to overcome them. Amusingly, I think I've also developed a fear of overcoming my fears, so I guess I'm kind of screwed, aren't I?
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    On a daily basis, I guess being judged poorly. On a grand scale, conflict and maybe not being able to protect myself physically.

kc1895's Avatar KFC Hipster
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Rawr View Post
    My biggest fear in a Social Situation is coming off awkward. If anyone here has seen Frozen, you'll understand this reference. For me it's like Elsa fearing her power so much that it shows even worse as she keeps worrying about it but it's very hard not to. So for me my fear of coming off awkward only shows worse as I keep naturally fearing it.
    I did see that movie. I remember the scene when Elsa had to remove her gloves to do the toast thing, and it began freezing. It definitely made me think of how social anxiety works.

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Rawr View Post
    Can I change my answer to this?
    I've got so many fears it's hard to measure their severities.

Side note: if I had a dime for every time I corrected spell check. >.<
    Severities is a word dammit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.