Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What book has helped your anxiety the most?

I want to try reading some kind of self help anxiety book and see how it goes.

What would you recommend?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ConfusedConfused
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The best self help book I've used for anxiety was called the mindfullness and acceptance workbork for anxiety: A guide to breaking free from anxiety, Phobias & worrying using acceptance and Commitment Therapy by John P. Forsyth & Georg H. Eifert. Really helpful, also come with a cd along with a lot of info/work sheets. Also I've used for myself and with other clients, the 10 best ever anxiety management techniues: understanding how your brain makes you and anxious & what you can do to change it by Margaret Wehrenberg, really great, again a lot of info but she puts it into terminology that is easy to understand, very interesting. She also has a new book which I have yet to start but purchased a few weeks ago named, the 10 best ever anxieety management techniques workbork (Includes audio cd of author led exercises). Also, not so much of a workbork however I found it very interesting, my age of anxiety: fear, hope, dread and the search for peace of mind by Scott Stossel. This one is more of a biography however he provides a great deal of information about anxiety in general and historical facts, case studies, etc. Sorry that was a ramble, but they are a few of my favourites.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Please don't think I'm a religious freak and I don't usually tell people things like this.

But the Gospel part of the New Testament bible was the book that helped me the most. The Matthew, Mark, Luke and John parts.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wish I could remember all the titles, but I read a lot of books on how the brain processes information and emotion. One, that was totally an unexpected favorite, was The Wisdom of Psychopaths (because I'm dealing with one) and it was surprisingly un-sensationalized, and effortlessly held my interest.

I don't read PTSD workbook type materials, but more books dealing with experiments measuring factors in emotional response to various stimuli - why we make good decisions even when someone isn't watching, Tibetan monks who have the ability to meditate so deeply, a scientist was able to fire a gun right next to them and they never even flinched from the sound. A study on mice and what they taught the researchers about forming bonds with one another (they weren't abused or inhumanely mistreated) again, when introducing various circumstances - removing one from the others to measure how the mice demonstrated loneliness and the others coped with one of their own missing.

Oh, I remember another one - "Quirk". Really good.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    This is one of the main books I used and a yoga book

I used a lot of resources from the internet too
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    see i wish i was brave enough to borrow these from the library, i could never buy them otherwise my family would find them, but if i borrowed them from the library then there would be a record of me buying self help anxiety books. the last time i borrowed one i used the excuse of "theres apparently really good examples in here so i can use them as references for in my assessments and assignments" but when i did that the lady at the desk went "i find this one really helpful and informative" so she saw straight through my lie since then i've finished the course and now have no excuses to hide why im actually getting the book

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Chloe View Post
    see i wish i was brave enough to borrow these from the library, i could never buy them otherwise my family would find them, but if i borrowed them from the library then there would be a record of me buying self help anxiety books. the last time i borrowed one i used the excuse of "theres apparently really good examples in here so i can use them as references for in my assessments and assignments" but when i did that the lady at the desk went "i find this one really helpful and informative" so she saw straight through my lie since then i've finished the course and now have no excuses to hide why im actually getting the book

maybe a friend has anxiety and you want to learn more....maybe pop into the library a hour a week and read a chapter....plus who looks at your record?
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote lasair View Post
    maybe a friend has anxiety and you want to learn more....maybe pop into the library a hour a week and read a chapter....plus who looks at your record?
    Only friends I know with anxiety is you guys on here Could do yhea that's a good idea family would get suspicious though so id have to tie it in with something, don't know I'm just paranoid that there's a list of what I read and someone could potentially look at that any time and go oh she's got this problem

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I wish I could get into reading again. I should see what new books are popular now.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.