Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I don't really know what people stereotype me as... and maybe it's best not to know

When abroad though, people assume that just because I'm Brazilian, I must know how to dance (especially Samba) and they also assume that I like Carnival. Both assumptions are dead wrong

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    ive been stereotyped as weird or a freak - because my idea of a good well spent playtime was reading or writing books rather than trying to be friends with bullies or fit in with people who i had no similar interests or thoughts with
    ive been stereotyped as smart because i study a lot but then people wonder why my grades aren't so good - i dont just study for fun (although i do like learning) i study so hard because i have to in order for me to get average grades
    ive been stereotyped as an animal nut for knowing so much and watching so many animal programs - but i like it, it is interesting to me.
    ive been stereotyped as a know it all who wont admit when she's wrong - yes im stubborn but i do know things, ive had my head shoved in animal books, i know biology fairly well thanks to my mum being a nurse and interests in school as well as other things i do know stuff and when im sure im right im not just going to say fair enough your right and leave it at that.
    ive been stereotyped as being brave for the horses ill get on (ones that belong in rodeos not riding schools for beginers) and being able to handle big 16 hand horses, go jumping and galloping around, handle two labs or big dogs well and not be scared or have them out of control - i can manage that, if a horse bronks (hops about with all four feet) i can have someone say lean back give it a kick and a bloody good smack on the [BEEP] and im fine. i know how to react to that, someone says go calm down that angry man and theres no step by step guide and a freak
    people often say im confidant as well i dont know if this is a stereotype or not my dad describes me as "confidant and collected" - but..i dont think i am. i can speak to people, ive got no problem with that. you ask me to speak to those same people again when they're pissed off im awful. i just freeze up and feel the panic there. you ask me to manage a group of kids no problem. those kids being rowdy, im even better. you ask me to talk to someone my own age who looks scary to me. i cant do it

there are a few that bug me quite a bit. im not brave, i get scared at war of the worlds (movie and the soundtrack to the play), my imagination is so over-active at times i cant sleep after watching i am legand. im scared of going out and doing things normal teenagers do. the being smart one as well bugs me. im not smart i just know things, you ask me to talk to you about it and explain it i can, you ask me to write an essay on it i can. if you want to spend five hours trying to make sense of it.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Kirsebaer View Post
    I don't really know what people stereotype me as... and maybe it's best not to know

When abroad though, people assume that just because I'm Brazilian, I must know how to dance (especially Samba) and they also assume that I like Carnival. Both assumptions are dead wrong
    Or that you have a big booty lol

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote SmileyFace View Post
    Or that you have a big booty lol
    Dead wrong again

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I have also been stereotyped very frequently as a straight guy. LOL this isn't a common thing to complain about being stereotyped as, but since I've gotten more comfortable with and open about being gay this has started to bother me a little. People tend to assume that because I come across as very masculine, because I'm nerdy and into technology, and because of the way I dress, that I'm straight.
    Far from the truth
    I hate gender stereotypes and sexuality stereotypes. Just because I'm gay doesn't mean I have to be feminine, and straight guys don't necessarily have to be all macho and athletic either.
    My boyfriend doesn't exactly fit the gay stereotype, either. People do a lot of double-takes at us when we're holding hands, LOL
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hippy Artist

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    In high school I was the "weird quiet girl". People thought I was a scary loner because of my social anxiety.
    Now that I'm in college taking honors classes and feeling more comfortable expressing my intellectual side I think people just see me as a snob. I still would totally talk to anyone, though. Except jerks.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    "Emo" and "Scene" are a few other things I've been stereotyped as but neither apply to me at all. They may have loosely applied to me when I was much, much younger. I listen to a lot of "Emo" music but that doesn't necessarily classify me as anything other than depressed, LOL. I also dye my hair black, but that's more of a fashion statement than anything else. The way I dress is more "urban" or "skater" if I had to class it as anything.
    Oh and can't forget that people who don't know me very well and have seen my dog drawings (I draw in almost an anime/Manga style) have asked me if I was a Furry... Get over yourself, people. I just like dogs. I'm not going to parties dressed as one. I don't think I really entirely know what a Furry is, anyway.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    StressedStressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    People see me as a computer nerd and a math nerd if I talk about VPN off-site or Gabriel's Horn.

If you don't know what Gabriel's Horn is, you're probably not a math nerd.

In a lot of conversations, I get very excited if we're talking about something related to science and technology. Everything else just bores me so I skip them but sometimes that makes me seem like I might be socially awkward and very quiet.

Oh, the things we assume when people don't talk.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I would love to know what I'm stereotyped as. I have no idea how to see myself as others see me.

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Haven't been in school since 2008 so I'd forgotten about this, but I was stereotyped as smart quite a bit. All because I kept to myself. No idea how that works, but I guess there are worse things for people to think of you. I'm not the village idiot, but I'm certainly not a genius either.

I also had a coworker assume I was a lesbian because I never talked about men or relationships. Let's get one thing straight (pun intended): not everybody wants to be in a relationship or is mentally stable enough for one to have any chance of working out. I'm not sure if I was supposed to go around fawning over every guy I saw or what.

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I'm going to go with super quiet/stoner/nerdy/loner stereotype? ><

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Stereotyped as:

-Mexican because I have a "Spanish" Last name. Nothing wrong with being Mexican, but I'm actually not so I felt like it would be considered a stereotype.

-Boring/Serious/Intelligent because I'm quiet. When you get to know me (or at least the few that do) I'm pretty loud, annoying and joking all the time. I wouldn't say I'm incredible intelligent, but I have considerably good grades. I just find it stupid that just because someone's quiet, they're automatically smart and you should ask them all school related questions.

-Snobby/Vain because I'm quiet (?!?!) Apparently some idiot made a theory that quiet people are snobby and vain because they think they're better than everyone else, and that's why they're so quiet and don't talk to anyone. Literally makes no sense since quiet people are normally insecure.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote fluke View Post
    I'm sure most think of me as quiet and boring and dull, but many have also referred to me as a party person. I do like to go out because dancing is about the only thing that makes me happy and gives me confidence instead of anxiety. But it's not like I stand on tables swinging my shirt around while singing/lalala-ing les lacs du Connemara. I'm just in my own bubble the whole night.
    HAHAHAHAHA!
    Oh my gosh, if only you could see/hear how hard that sentence made me laugh! LOL! The mental images that gave me, haha...

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    When I was younger, people often thought of me as the cheerleader-California girl-overachiever. Probably like a lot of teenagers, I didn't really know who I was - I just got involved in a lot of different things to try them out. Sports, clubs, academics, etc.

The last time I noticed being stereotyped was at my last real job. My boss, who is a great person and usually right about people, quickly typed me as, "the guys' girl". I always took this to mean because I like sports, I like drinking, straight talk, hate drama, not interested in most girlie type things like weddings and babies and fashion and whatnot.

I don't know, though - that's all a little too simplified. I just got a lot of comments that usually started with, "No girl I've ever known does _____ (insert whatever I'd just done)", then followed by the slow golf clap of appreciation.

What also came with that was the assumption I didn't have any feelings.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.