Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

This is so sad :(

I'm literally crying right now. My mom was also crying when we found this out
    I have permanently lost my sense of smell.
    I was prescribed a steroid called Afrin for a severe viral respiratory infection. It comes in nasal spray form. I took it for three days, with the exact recommended dosage, and the first few days I used it I could still smell and taste but not much. Now, five days later, I have literally zero sense of smell or taste.
    I contacted my doctor's office and told them exactly what was going on. They said it's not a common side effect but some people who have used Afrin have completely and permanently lost their sense of smell.
    I am so fucking angry at the doctor who prescribed it for me. Did she realize she was fucking up my life?!
    I'm going to have to learn to only eat things for texture. I can pretend I'm tasting my food but that is so depressing
    I found a link to this medical forum, all these people also lost their sense of smell:
    http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Ear--No...Loss/show/7457
    Some got it back but some never did One person says they haven't had their sense of smell since 2007
    Well, on the bright side, I can eat less and lose more weight. But I'm never going to enjoy food again I'm so sad
    Keddy
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    You said that some people returned to normal, and I'd say in your case it hasn't been long enough yet for you to know if it's permanent—give it a little more time before concluding that it is.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Quote Inscrutable Banana View Post
    You said that some people returned to normal, and I'd say in your case it hasn't been long enough yet for you to know if it's permanent—give it a little more time before concluding that it is.
    Hang in there keddy. I agree with banana. Don't throw in the towel yet. I hope this resolves in time. Take care.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Oh my goodness, that seriously sucks. I hope you're one of those people who eventually gets their sense of smell and taste back! That is so frustrating. I'm sorry

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Inscrutable Banana View Post
    Quote Kesky View Post
    Hang in there keddy. I agree with banana. Don't throw in the towel yet. I hope this resolves in time. Take care.
    Quote SmileyFace View Post
    Oh my goodness, that seriously sucks. I hope you're one of those people who eventually gets their sense of smell and taste back! That is so frustrating. I'm sorry
    Thank you, Banana, Kesky, and Smiley
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I don't think I've ever prayed this much in my life. I really hope it's not the case and that I get it back, but I'm terrified.
    I'll keep you guys posted
    Btw I am such a friggin medical disaster. Between blood pressure issues, appendicitis, liver surgery, a horrible sinus infection, weight issues, and all kinds of nutty physical symptoms from anxiety, and now this, I've been falling apart these past few months

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Here's hoping it's not permanent, Keddy.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote IllusionOfHappiness View Post
    Here's hoping it's not permanent, Keddy.
    Thank you, Illusion
    I'm hoping for the best.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm so sorry. I don't see how they could give you this medicine without warning you. I'm hoping that you'll regain your sense of smell. Sometimes a sinus infection alone can damage the sense of smell for a bit and I hope that is what it is and not permanent damage from the medication.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote merc View Post
    I'm so sorry. I don't see how they could give you this medicine without warning you. I'm hoping that you'll regain your sense of smell. Sometimes a sinus infection alone can damage the sense of smell for a bit and I hope that is what it is and not permanent damage from the medication.
    Thank you, Merc
    I doubt it's from the infection, as the congestion is subsiding and the cough is already almost gone... Hoping it's temporary.
    I don't understand how there isn't a big fat warning label on the box of that crap, since it seems like this has happened to thousands of other people, some of whom never recovered.
    My mom actually said we might want to take this to court. She's raging pissed and thinks I should sue either the company who manufactured the medication or the practice that prescribed it for me. I think she might have a point there.
    For now, just going to wait it out... *Sigh*
    I want pizza

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    your life is just full of surprises isn't it. maybe not the good kind but at least its keeping things interesting you know. you lost your sense of smell? i wish i could say things that strange had happened to me, but no, the the last thing of any note that happened to me was my book shelf collapsed as i was putting a book back into it, and before that it was that my tooth had chipped, which doesn't really make for much of a story compared to losing your sense of smell and suing the doctors or drug companies or whoever is responsible for all that they are worth! i do hope you get it back though.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote enfield View Post
    your life is just full of surprises isn't it. maybe not the good kind but at least its keeping things interesting you know. you lost your sense of smell? i wish i could say things that strange had happened to me, but no, the the last thing of any note that happened to me was my book shelf collapsed as i was putting a book back into it, and before that it was that my tooth had chipped, which doesn't really make for much of a story compared to losing your sense of smell and suing the doctors or drug companies or whoever is responsible for all that they are worth! i do hope you get it back though.
    That's a good perspective you have on it, Enfield. You crack me up sometimes
    Thanks for putting things in a better light for me. True, it would be an interesting conversation piece to have lost my sense of smell, to say the least...
    I sure hope I get it back. My virus is finally going away *knocks on wood* so hopefully the effects of the nasal spray will wear off.
    And the lawsuit bit would make for a great story too, LOL- my crazy mom suing the drug company. Oh Lordy.
    I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and pray a lot tonight. Hoping this all gets resolved soon, and boy do I have a crazy life, LOL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY it came back! My sense of smell and taste came back!!! ^_^
    It was from the nasal spray, after all, but thank goodness it was only temporary...
    The only problem now is I'm stuffing my face again... LOL I missed food...

I overreact to everything. I should take a theatre class at my college.

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Eh, you had a legitimate concern, you just needed to give it more time before allowing yourself to think it was permanent. Either way, it's good to know it was just temporary.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Keddy View Post
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY it came back! My sense of smell and taste came back!!! ^_^
    It was from the nasal spray, after all, but thank goodness it was only temporary...
    The only problem now is I'm stuffing my face again... LOL I missed food...

I overreact to everything. I should take a theatre class at my college.
    I'm sorry, I didn't see this until now. Otherwise, you would have had my condolences (is that the right word? Or do you only use that if someone died? At least, I hope you're not dead.)

But, I'm glad to hear that things seemed to sort out for you. I think a lot of us on here manage to do the overreacting dramatic thing. If it wasn't for the anxiety thing, I might just join you in theater class.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Now stay away from that nasal spray from hell!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.