Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Honest Mother's Day cards for bad moms

Last night I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about having to buy a Mother's Day card. I always dread it. I usually manage to find the one with a joke about alcohol, but it gets me down to have to comb through all the lovey dovey stuff and be reminded of what I'm missing out on. "Dear Mom, You have always been there for me -" Eh, that is not accurate. "Mom, You are my best friend -" LOL no. "To the best mom -" Yeah let's not get carried away here... I really wish they would just have a section called, "To abusive mom from daughter obligated to send a card to maintain an amicably distant relationship." I can't be the only one in this situation, right? The cards could just be like, "Dear Mom, You fed and clothed me. See you at Christmas." Or, "Mom, I guess I can't blame you for not being perfect. Grandma's a real b****." Actually my mom would probably love that last one.

What would your Mother's Day card say if you could be really honest?

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    LOL ohhh how I can relate....

I've dreaded Mother's Day every year for the past several years. I loved it as a kid because it was pretty fun making little gifts for my mom in school (yay elementary school!)... but I put all this effort only to see the gift thrown out, with my mom basically having a "That's it?" reaction. Or saying it's just junk glued together, etc. I'M JUST A KID! I CAN'T DO MORE THAN GLUE "JUNK" TOGETHER!

Years later, as I made a bit of my own money, I was able to buy her stuff. I'd buy her nice China/porcelain dish sets (because I know she loved those things)... meaningful greeting cards... gift cards...clothes. She didn't like anything. Nothing was enough. She always just wanted straight up money (lots of it), but I know no amount would ever be enough for her. Nothing's ever enough for her.

I stopped getting her things as of 2-3 years ago. I just totally gave up. I don't get her anything. Period. Even on her birthday.

Of course, she demands things on these days. It's aggravating. On a typical day, she's already crying about how I don't care about her (well, with how shitty she's treated me all my life, of course I don't care about her at this point). On these special days though, you hear it 3x as much. She'd constantly ask me why I didn't even think about her on Mother's Day.. why didn't I get anything for her. I told her before that she doesn't like anything I get anyway, and her response? "Well, why would you give me some little dinky item for a gift? I've raised you for 20[something] years, so I at least deserve something a lot bigger."

Um... ya, proving more and more to me why I shouldn't care about you.

Soooo.... if I could be really honest in a Mother's Day card, I don't know... I'd like to write a letter talking about all the ways she's ruined my life or tried to ruin my life. In short, I'd probably just write "Fuck you, you narcissistic, selfish, two-faced bitch" in the card. Because... that's really what she is.

I hate how Mother's Day is right around the corner. She's been driving me just as insane and I feel like I'm really at my breaking point.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yow! I'm sorry you have to go through that. ((Hug)) You should totally write that letter and not send it.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    397 Post(s)
    Your mother just baffles me, Jen.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote QuietCalamity View Post
    Yow! I'm sorry you have to go through that. ((Hug)) You should totally write that letter and not send it.
    Not send it?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah, a therapist told me to do that once. I found that putting all my feelings into words directed at the person who has hurt me is a good way to vent and organize my feelings. It makes it easier to "put them away" out of my mind. Of course you can always decide later to send it if you want a confrontation, although in my experience that never works out.

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Mom-
    Roses are red,
    violets are blue,
    you're a fucking b*tch
    and Dad's an asshole too.
    You're welcome
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Here's an even better one:
    lets_get_one_thing_straight_im_not_post_card-r8f445e297e5d4d93b5be31802622438b_vgbaq_8byvr_324.jpg
    Happy Mother's Day, ya fuckin' b*tch.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote QuietCalamity View Post
    Last night I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about having to buy a Mother's Day card. I always dread it. I usually manage to find the one with a joke about alcohol, but it gets me down to have to comb through all the lovey dovey stuff and be reminded of what I'm missing out on. "Dear Mom, You have always been there for me -" Eh, that is not accurate. "Mom, You are my best friend -" LOL no. "To the best mom -" Yeah let's not get carried away here... I really wish they would just have a section called, "To abusive mom from daughter obligated to send a card to maintain an amicably distant relationship." I can't be the only one in this situation, right? The cards could just be like, "Dear Mom, You fed and clothed me. See you at Christmas." Or, "Mom, I guess I can't blame you for not being perfect. Grandma's a real b****." Actually my mom would probably love that last one.

What would your Mother's Day card say if you could be really honest?
    First of all, your examples are awesome! I would love to send cards that say those things.

I've tried for decades to find that honest card and usually end up selling out to the lie of "everything's peachy keen."

Let's see.............

for the 15 years before I ran away:

Mom, you make Charles Manson look like Mary Poppins. I especially like those crazy eyes you make right before you slam me against the wall. Happy Mother's Day. Your terrified daughter,

for the 3 years I lived on the street because it was safer than living at home with her:
    Mom, I think of you often...........especially when I eat out of the garbage. It tastes so much better than the blood I taste after getting slapped in the face. Your absent daughter,

for the years when I returned home:
    Mom, thank you so much for calling me a slut and [BEEP] everyday during college. It made me stronger. Your worthless daughter,

for the years of my marriage:
    Mom, I will always cherish those Christmas Day phone calls when you would say, "You ruined another Christmas, you sick and vicious bitch." Your "don't want to be your daughter" daughter,

for the present years:
    Mom, I'm so glad we can talk about cats and the weather rather than what I'd like to talk about ...........basically how you fucked up my life. But because of your fucking up, I've become stronger and the most badass human being on the planet. So thank you for teaching me to stand up for myself, to never back down to anything or anyone, and to mistrust the world. Your daughter who survived in spite of you,
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.