Thread: help?

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

help?

I have OCD and it's been interfering with my life. Then I found out that I might have Social Anxiety.

An Example:
    Today, I went out and took the subway. I was supposed to go to some place I had never been so I wasn't sure where to get off. I was too nervous to get out of my seat and check the map to see if I was at my stop so obviously I missed my stop. I got off so that I could go backwards to get to my missed stop. I was lost of course and I was panicking that people might think I was lost or was a tourist and didn't want to look like some loser. So I went outside from the subway station pretending it was my stop. I ended up getting even more lost and eventualy took a cab back home because I was so upset.
    This is just one instance of many.

- I am so afraid of what people may think of me. I worry constantly if I look normal, I am afraid that I well get embaressed in public so I avoid public transportation. I avoid looking in people's eyes, I am so self conscious that I can't even go eat by myself outside.
    - I don't ever feel like going outside because I feel like I will mess up.

Does anyone have any tips as to what exact disorder this is? What I can do to stop it, and if anyone has experienced something similar to this, what actions they took to stop it.

THIS is VERY important to me so please no immature answers and short ones that are one or two sentences.

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Hi Kevin,
    This definitely sounds like social anxiety and possibly agoraphobia... Do you have a therapist or a psychiatrist? If you speak to them they would probably be able to give you an exact diagnosis. Obviously, we can't diagnose you on here, but we can definitely help you out and give you advice.
    I have very, very similar anxieties to what you are describing. I have trouble using public transportation also, I'm constantly worried about what other people will think of me. I don't really make eye contact when I talk in person so people often think I'm pretty weird. I worry about looking normal as well. I have pretty severe social anxiety and when I was younger I struggled a lot with agoraphobia.
    I haven't been able to stop having social anxiety altogether, but therapy and medication have helped some. DBT (dialectical behavior therapy) and CBT (cognitive behavior therapy) can be pretty effective for treating symptoms of social anxiety and helping learn ways to interact with other people. One of the medications I take has sedative properties so it helps to dull my anxiety in general.
    I really hope this information was helpful, let me know if I wasn't clear about anything or if you need more information.
    Many people on here struggle with social anxiety and will be very helpful and knowledgeable about it as well.
    Take care.
    Keddy
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yes, I've personally done stuff like this and by trying to avoid looking like a fool you wind up doing some idiotic things such as walking a million miles out of your way.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I have heard that for some people, seeing a psychologist can help, however this did not work for me...everyone responds differently.....allot has to do with trial and error....I found that the only one thing that did help me a fair bit was when I saw a psychiatrist and he put me on medication that for the first time made me feel so much better, but then after a few months I was becoming anxious because I couldn't keep up with myself, I felt like i was going through some form of Alzheimer's and made my everyday life a struggle, especially when working, so I decided I had to get off it....and now I'm stuck in square one. What you have described is what I also go through, so I would say it most likely is social anxiety disorder. I personally have found over the years the symptoms have gradually become worse and worse, mind you how i deal with it nowadays probably doesn't help all that much seeing as I pretty much avoid ever leaving the house, and socialize very little...this is feeding into itself, and now it's a real struggle to get out there, each day that passes I am falling deeper into a black hole I feel i will never be able to get myself out of....it's horrifying cos my life is passing me by so quick and I hear about other people and their achievements in life and how happy they are, and I feel so sad, cos I will never be like that I feel...I'm still stuck, and have no real answer to stopping it, I guess realistically it comes down to me, and getting myself out into the "real world" and forcing myself to get involved in social events, apparently that's the only way to overcome most of this...is by putting yourself out there....it's amazing how hard that can be though! I have recently been contemplating electroconvulsive therapy, but have heard of many downsides...

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I honestly know how you feel. I also struggle with trying to look normal, so much so that i come off looking like an awkward mess sometimes or i get so upset that well i think people think i'm a mean person, idk. Hang in there.

I've been taking public transportation as well and i do get anxiety about not only the way i look and what people are thinking about me, but also getting lost, so it can be a trying experience. sadly i am about the worst person when i get lost, i panic a lot and well look like and feel like it's the end of the freaking world! haha. and then on top of that people looking at me and thinking "dear god this girl is a fool" i'm directionally challenged and get easily lost, so i panic a lot to keep from losing my way.

one thing that has kind of helped me to relax while in public transportation is listening to music, or i try to look at everyone and imagine they have the same problems as me. it kind of eases some of the tension to pretend everyone on the bus are as anxiety riddled as me. Aside from public transportation i use this a lot in general.

it would be awesome to have a bunch of you guys as bus mates =p, with all of us knowing we are anxious and that we are all struggling with that anxiety, it eases the tension a bit. I've often found, don't do this often but when i'm around laid back people, i admit that i am anxious and very awkward, there are some people out there that are very kind and understanding.

I agree with what lovetornadoes said about putting oneself out there. I have the same sentiments too, if i don't push myself outta the house i'm gonna miss out. truthfully, i feel like i already have missed out on a lot. but every time i put myself out there, after the ordeal i feel better for having pushed myself.
    I hope you do and feel better =) your not alone

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.