Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have severe PTSD.

I suffer from PTSD. It has gotten worse over the years. I jump at the slightest loud noise, hate to be in busy places and don't like when people yell at me. I become very afraid. I even have flashbacks and nightmares of past abuse. I had a bad childhood. I was forced to be perfect by my parents and now that i have mental illness, they don't want to hear anything of it. They tell me i need to get over things now and be like them. I cannot do that. They make me feel like i am a disappointment to the family.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Lostgirl32 View Post
    I suffer from PTSD. It has gotten worse over the years. I jump at the slightest loud noise, hate to be in busy places and don't like when people yell at me. I become very afraid. I even have flashbacks and nightmares of past abuse. I had a bad childhood. I was forced to be perfect by my parents and now that i have mental illness, they don't want to hear anything of it. They tell me i need to get over things now and be like them. I cannot do that. They make me feel like i am a disappointment to the family.
    Hi! I also have PTSD and yes, flashbacks, nightmares and being hyper sensitive to loud noise can be a bummer, huh? People who don't experience these things find it easy to say "get over it." But it's a body memory a lot of times and before we even think about reacting, our bodies tense or react. It's no fun.

It sounds like your family doesn't understand you much. I'm sorry you're feeling like a disappointment to them. Why do you think you feel that way?
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's a common reaction from people who have no personal experience with such issues—they can't really see it from your perspective, unfortunately.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

nothing's Avatar Habitual Failure
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ugh, I know that feeling. I read your other post about panic in public and understand that as well. Your parents sound like my father did before I stopped communicating with him; some people don't want to understand. I'm sure they have their own issues/problems and just can't handle any deviation from their own personal norm.

I wish I could offer some advice, but I've yet to find a healthy way to deal with it all. Have your parents said anything specific that makes you feel like a disappointment (aside from "get over it" and "be like us") or is it just a general feeling? If that question is too personal, just ignore it, I promise I won't be disappointed in you and neither will anyone else here.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    It's all about becoming accustomed to the smaller things to the point where it doesn't bother you as much. The sudden noises, etc.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Ironman View Post
    It's all about becoming accustomed to the smaller things to the point where it doesn't bother you as much. The sudden noises, etc.
    I'm new, so just seeing this. Can you expand on what you mean here? Like exposure therapy?

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.