Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yoga for Anxiety

I don't know if anyone else here does yoga, but I find it helps clear my head and stretch out my super tense muscles. I came across this today and some of them look difficult but I think I will try them this weekend.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/slideshow/2...352548&slide=1

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I have done in the past - it is really relaxing
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I do yoga daily. it helps with stress.

nothing's Avatar Habitual Failure
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've been doing yoga every morning for a week now, but aside from sore legs I haven't noticed anything. I'll keep at it though, maybe it will help eventually.

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote nothing View Post
    I've been doing yoga every morning for a week now, but aside from sore legs I haven't noticed anything. I'll keep at it though, maybe it will help eventually.
    What type of yoga are you doing right now?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Special K View Post
    What type of yoga are you doing right now?
    I've no idea what type it is, I just follow along with a Yoga Zone DVD.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote nothing View Post
    I've no idea what type it is, I just follow along with a Yoga Zone DVD.
    Do they instruct on how to breathe? I had to do more research on breathing than what my app gives but that was also free.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote QuietCalamity View Post
    Do they instruct on how to breathe? I had to do more research on breathing than what my app gives but that was also free.
    In a way I guess, I don't know how to describe it, but for one part of each pose you're supposed to breathe in and as you move into another you breathe out in a certain way. I can never match my breath to the poses the way they instruct though; it's actually starting to really bother me.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote nothing View Post
    In a way I guess, I don't know how to describe it, but for one part of each pose you're supposed to breathe in and as you move into another you breathe out in a certain way. I can never match my breath to the poses the way they instruct though; it's actually starting to really bother me.
    Sounds like my yoga app. They go too fast for me when they do the complicated sun salutation routine, but I think it makes a big difference if I take my time and wait to do the move when I'm ready to inhale or exhale or whatever and just pause it while I catch up. According to one yoga expert from Beijing (who used to have a free app I really liked) the proper breathing technique is called Bhastrika.

From Wikipedia:
    Bhastrika (pronounced bah-STREE-kah) is one of the most important pranayamas... It is a breathing technique where breathing is forcible and through the nose, with equal time for inhalation and exhalation.[2] Bhastrika Pranayama is aimed at keeping the inhalation cycle equal to exhalation, yet making breath deeper and longer. Deep breath inwards and long exhalation outwords with equal time intervals constitutes this pranayam technique.

And he said using your stomach to breathe deeply with your diaphragm is important too. It sounds really complicated but once you practice it comes more naturally. I have an app that is just a breathing metronome that really helps with the rhythm, especially if I start with that before I do my yoga.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote QuietCalamity View Post
    Sounds like my yoga app. They go too fast for me when they do the complicated sun salutation routine, but I think it makes a big difference if I take my time and wait to do the move when I'm ready to inhale or exhale or whatever and just pause it while I catch up. According to one yoga expert from Beijing (who used to have a free app I really liked) the proper breathing technique is called Bhastrika.

From Wikipedia:
    Bhastrika (pronounced bah-STREE-kah) is one of the most important pranayamas... It is a breathing technique where breathing is forcible and through the nose, with equal time for inhalation and exhalation.[2] Bhastrika Pranayama is aimed at keeping the inhalation cycle equal to exhalation, yet making breath deeper and longer. Deep breath inwards and long exhalation outwords with equal time intervals constitutes this pranayam technique.

And he said using your stomach to breathe deeply with your diaphragm is important too. It sounds really complicated but once you practice it comes more naturally. I have an app that is just a breathing metronome that really helps with the rhythm, especially if I start with that before I do my yoga.
    That sounds exactly like what they're trying to do in the video, but if I waited for the guy instructing to tell me when to breathe I'd pass out because sometimes he really misses the cue. I just have it going in the background for general guidance now and I breathe at my own pace as I move into each pose. I'm not sure if it's helping my anxiety because I've actually been panicking more than usual lately, but I definitely feel the change in my body; I feel stronger. I'm also thinking about my situation more lately so I think that's what's causing the additional anxiety, that and the fact that I'm not medicating myself with alcohol and benzos. Things are pretty crappy but I'm going to stick with the yoga.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote nothing View Post
    That sounds exactly like what they're trying to do in the video, but if I waited for the guy instructing to tell me when to breathe I'd pass out because sometimes he really misses the cue. I just have it going in the background for general guidance now and I breathe at my own pace as I move into each pose. I'm not sure if it's helping my anxiety because I've actually been panicking more than usual lately, but I definitely feel the change in my body; I feel stronger. I'm also thinking about my situation more lately so I think that's what's causing the additional anxiety, that and the fact that I'm not medicating myself with alcohol and benzos. Things are pretty crappy but I'm going to stick with the yoga.
    Good for you! That takes a lot of strength to quit those things. You'll build strength in your lungs and diaphragm if you keep at it, too. I hope everything gets easier for you.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Keep wondering about trying yoga to help with my anxieties. I've heard it can do wonders.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Keep wondering about trying yoga to help with my anxieties. I've heard it can do wonders.
    Agreed! Yoga and meditation are both things I wish I could make stick more. They definitely have pretty strong anti-anxiety effects when I actually commit to doing them

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.