nothing's Avatar Habitual Failure
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Cold Shower Therapy

Not specific to anxiety, but the theory is to get used to being in an uncomfortable situation and we all know how physically uncomfortable anxiety symptoms can be. I started this yesterday and today I actually did something I've been putting off for a long time, maybe it won't last, I don't know, but I'm going to stick with it for a month and see how it goes.

What's your opinion? Am I INSANE for doing this? It is pretty damn cold and it takes my breath away at first, but afterwards I do feel energized.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I once watched an old movie where they would give people in a mental health facility ice cold baths. Apparently it can jar you out of depression.
    In the summer, at least in the north after a 50 degree night it can be a challenge to get into a swimming pool, but I kind of like swimming and usually feel good after swimming. I've learned that the best way to get in is to just do it and start moving. I don't think that I would like taking a cold shower though. It would probably wake you up and get the blood flowing. Did you ever have anyone throw ice cubes on you in the shower? That's a horrible prank.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It definitely wakes me up and yes, it gets the blood flowing. It's pretty jarring while I'm in the cold water, but as soon as it's off I warm right up.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This morning I thought about it. Yet, I couldn't do it. I have well water and that's really cold.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote merc View Post
    This morning I thought about it. Yet, I couldn't do it. I have well water and that's really cold.
    lol,yeah, it's not particularly pleasant, but you do warm up pretty quickly after you turn the water off. Today is day 3 for me and it wasn't as bad this morning as it was the previous two days. Maybe there's something to it, time will tell.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Lots of people have told me that obsessing about something and dreading it makes it worse when it actually happens, but that never resonated with me... Until now. Hiding in the back of the shower worrying about how cold the water is really does make it 1000x worse when it actually hits you, it's best to just dive in and do it. Definitely a learning experience.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    WorriedWorried
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    yea i try this but not freezing water

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm still doing it, yesterday was the two week mark and it's a lot easier now. I'm using full blown cold water and it was brutal at first, but I'm not having much difficulty at all now. I've changed my shower time to right after I do my yoga, so I'm extremely hot when I get in, it's actually refreshing in a way.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe this explains why I was so much calmer after swimming. Our saltwater pool is kept at "Olympic" temperatures - whatever that is - and it's crazy, take your breath away, cold. In the winter, when I would stand at the edge of my lane and look up to see the snow piling up against the windows outside, I'd chicken out and go swim around in the warm therapy pool. But it never felt great afterwards, not like swimming laps.

Swimming made me calmer, I thought, because I'd emerge from the pool walking sideways because I was so exhausted. But maybe it was the water.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Hmm, that's really interesting. Back in Ontario a lot of my family had pools in their backyard. I'd always be perfectly fine in the cold after a few minutes and feel awesome after.

I take bloody hot showers in the morning, maybe I can try switching over and seeing if it helps at all.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    hmm i wonder if this would help me. it sounds as though it helps change you perspective of thinking and makes you realise that thing you were dreading wasn't actually all that bad. only thing is i already don't put things off. if something needs doing i do it or if i have to do something which may or may not make me anxious i do it anyway. eg i dont like gore and horror and yet i really enjoy watching scary horror movies

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.