Thread: Anhedonia

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Anhedonia

Has anyone else heard of (or do you have) anhedonia as a symptom or result of depression?
    Anhedonia is defined as the inability to experience pleasure from activities that normally make people happy.
    I feel disinterested in a lot of things that people normally enjoy- going to the movies, going out to dinner, partying, socializing, exercising, going to the beach, shopping, doing artwork, etc. I still do these things a lot of the time, but it feels forced (especially with exercise) and I don't really get any pleasure out of it. I would love for life to make me happy but it doesn't.
    I feel like I'm never actually happy. I'm "fake happy" a lot of the time, and I smile and laugh enough to make people believe that I'm OK, but I'm never truly happy. I'm never satisfied with myself either or with anything that I do.
    I hate feeling like this because I think it makes my boyfriend and my friends think I'm bored with them or I don't want to hang out with them. That's not true at all. I just feel miserable and have a lack of interest in doing much of anything.
    My medication helps with this symptom to an extent and it has improved since I started the meds I'm on now, but it's still there a lot of the time. Does anyone else have any experience with this or has anyone heard of it before?
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

nothing's Avatar Habitual Failure
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was thinking of that exact word as I tossed and turned in bed last night. I try really hard to fake it during the times I'm around others, but it's just that, fake. When I actually had "friends" they'd mention and harass me about being a downer because it was really obvious that I wasn't enjoying myself. Unfortunately it's even worse in a way when I'm alone, I still feel unhappy/anhedonic, but I also feel lonely because I think I should be around other people.

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Sounds like me alright.

Even when I know I should be enjoying myself and there's no reason for that not to be happening, it's like I've got to remind myself what being happy feels like. I guess when you feel shitty for X amount of time, it's all you really know anymore.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Yeah, I have this problem during depression. I stop caring about things. I just don't care about anything at all. Things that I once enjoyed take to much energy to do and they don't mean anything to me whatsoever.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I lost interest in pretty much everything including speaking to people. Sleep is the only thing i enjoy.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    SleepySleepy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Depression seems to come and go for me these days, but when things aren't good that's precisely how I feel. There were periods where the emotion I was displaying on the surface never matched what I felt. I could be laughing or goofing off, and inside I'd still just feel a mass of nothingness blocking everything else out, if that makes sense.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    eh, I don't care about depression right now because I had a terrible spell of it that cost me thousands of dollars art-christmas-coffee-cool-sweet-Favim.com-248882.jpg

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    No

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.