nothing's Avatar Habitual Failure
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

I'm sick of people telling me to meditate

Like it's some kind of magical cure-all. Sorry, it's useless for me. Actually, I'm not sorry, I'm just sick of hearing about it. I've tried for a while and I'm not doing it wrong, it just doesn't help. If meditation was so fucking great, the people suggesting I try it wouldn't be such arrogant pricks about it who insist on giving me a hard time when I ask a simple question like "what if I've tried to meditate and all I experience are obsessive negative thoughts?". I've asked this very question and all I received were hostile replies haranguing me about how lazy I am and telling me if I keep at it the thoughts will go away. Well, they don't, so shut the [BEEP] up about meditation. I don't care if it works for other people, nothing is going to work for 100% of people and it really is ridiculous to think it would.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hell, I don't even know how to meditate LOL

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I don't meditate because it reminds me of an abusing therapist I had.

Just tell them it's not for you. That's what I do.

If they persist, then I say, "Wow! Your meditation must not be working because you seem really stressed out about controlling me."

It pretty much shuts them up.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I said something like that, but they were persistent in harassing me over the meditation issue. It was on YouTube comments because I had commented on a how-to meditation video explaining how I was still stuck and unable to see the benefit, I realize now that people who comment on YouTube videos are even crazier than I am so I muted the conversation.

Keddy's Avatar The Awkward Conversationalist
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DrunkDrunk
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote nothing View Post
    I said something like that, but they were persistent in harassing me over the meditation issue. It was on YouTube comments because I had commented on a how-to meditation video explaining how I was still stuck and unable to see the benefit, I realize now that people who comment on YouTube videos are even crazier than I am so I muted the conversation.
    ^Oh hell yeah they are crazy. I try to stay out of YouTube comments because those people have no shame in anything they say and they're pure evil. They just set out to hurt people.
    ---
    I had a therapist tell me to meditate before and I never took her seriously about it. She also suggested yoga... Um, no.
    I kinda feel like that stuff is pointless and I don't really believe in it.
    "It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Keddy View Post
    ^Oh hell yeah they are crazy. I try to stay out of YouTube comments because those people have no shame in anything they say and they're pure evil. They just set out to hurt people.
    ---
    I had a therapist tell me to meditate before and I never took her seriously about it. She also suggested yoga... Um, no.
    I kinda feel like that stuff is pointless and I don't really believe in it.
    Yeah, YouTube people are really miserable and they only feel better when they break others down.

I'm still doing yoga every day, I don't derive any spiritual benefit from it (to my knowledge) but it is toning my body so I think it's worth it for me. I certainly won't go around telling EVERYONE they should be doing it though, if I were to do that I'd be no better than a YouTube commenter

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Oh damn you were in the Youtube comments, no wonder you had a hard time

Yoga, herbal tea, meditation...it's just not for me. Not even close. Well, I enjoy the taste of herbal tea so I'll drink it for that reason, but I can't say that I've ever had tea calm me down or anything. I couldn't stand someone yammering on to me about these things for very long before I told them what's up. Different things work for different people. The conversation should be over when you announce you're not interested.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote IllusionOfHappiness View Post

I enjoy the taste of herbal tea so I'll drink it for that reason, but I can't say that I've ever had tea calm me down or anything.
    I know, I've had people INSIST that I drink chamomile tea for panic attacks before, they refused to believe that it doesn't help me at all. I need to just stop asking questions I guess, I'm really sick of the answers I receive

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote nothing View Post
    I know, I've had people INSIST that I drink chamomile tea for panic attacks before, they refused to believe that it doesn't help me at all. I need to just stop asking questions I guess, I'm really sick of the answers I receive
    Yeah next time I have a major freak out I'll just stop and brew a flipping chamomile tea, because that's the sort of thing you can do when you're out and about. >.<
    I'll just stuff tea bags into my clonazepam bottle instead. What is with people? I mean, that's amazing that it works for them, but stop pushing it on other people. I've tried all these damn teas and they're totally useless.

This reminds me of the time one of our past doctors asked my mother if she tried drinking a hot beverage to soothe her throat issues. Her answer was, "yes, but it's never been helpful." Translation: a warm beverage? Oh my god you're a genius, I hadn't thought of drinking something to soothe my throat before in the decade I've had these issues for! No, hot beverages do not help you stupid fuck, would I be here otherwise? Don't you think I've exhausted all my ideas by now?

Some of the doctor's we've had....I just don't know about them lol. I honestly don't know how that one made it through school. Our current doctor is very friendly and seems pretty competent, but I'm sure he'll leave within the year like the rest of 'em. Anyway. /end tangent

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I once made a thread of "stupid things I have been told to do by people that are supposed to be the miracle cure", ranging from going on a diet of boiled leeks to meditating. God, I know the feeling. I'm sick of it as well.

It's just annoying. Okay, so maybe it's not fair. I know when I discuss things for some reason, people seem to feel the need to give advise. But sometimes I don't want advise? And honestly, I don't think the boiled leek diet is going to do much except possibly land me in hospital for nutrient deficiencies, but okay...
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not a meditation kind of person, either. A friend of mine just said last night, "Night, you have too much pent up rage to meditate. Why don't you try running or swimming again?"

(This is the same person told me once, 'You don't have to approach your swimming practice like it's a bloodsport!' - hehehe)

Seriously, though. I tried reading a book on meditation and almost threw it out the window. Just not my thing.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.