Sat Sailor
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want to stop smoking.

This is my first thread, please be gentle.

I've been smoking since my 18th birthday, on and off, which has added up to almost two years. I know it isn't healthy but I'm having an extremely difficult time quitting. If I don't get that cigarette, I feel even worse than I already did. Every time I decide "Hey, you know what? This is it, I'm going to quit smoking", I realize I just purchased another pack. On other issues, my willpower is hardly ever a struggle, but this is just something I have a hard time dealing with. I find it hard to stop because of my job (technician in the Navy on a system that's worth more than my life twenty times over) which can be extremely stressful. That smoke or two or seven is probably one of the only things getting me through the day. I've had people tell me that I need to find other outlets for stress like working out, but they haven't been in my situation. I mean, I'm required to be physically in shape already so exercise isn't really going to cut it. My mind wants me to quit but my body won't let me.

I'd love to hear thoughts and ideas or whatever else from you guys, so let's hear it!

P.S. It doesn't help that most of my coworkers smoke as well, so they end up dragging me to the smoke deck.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Welcome sociallydiseased! My fiancé struggles with this as well. He has been smoking since he was 16, which is almost half his life by now, and he's tried to quit cold turkey at least 6 times while we've been together. I know how difficult this addiction can be physically, mentally, emotionally, and socially! I think he did best when he had an old car to work on while he was trying to get through a craving. The best advice he says he got from a former smoker was that you need to replace the addiction to nicotine with something else.
    Although next time he is ready to quit he plans on trying Wellbutrin, which was recommended by his doctor.

I know none of that really means much because he hasn't been successful, but I hope it gives you some ideas.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Just had another idea - if you live near a college/university, chances are there will be Psychology students doing their thesis on Applied Behavior Analysis for smoking cessation who need participants. Statistically it is a very successful treatment.
    - former Psychology student

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Sat Sailor
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ThoughtfulThoughtful
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wow, that was a lot of good information. I know I need to find a hobby, but work can leave me too drained to do the things I love. Thank you very much, I'll look into all the things you suggested.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.