Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Therapy again today...

Le sigh.

I've been in therapy on-and-off (more on) for about 2.5 years for PTSD, anxiety and depression. Initially, I had high hopes for therapy, but after two quit, another was seriously religious - more than I'm comfortable with - I'm on my fourth. I like her well enough, and she respects my wishes regarding what treatment forms I'm comfortable with.

My husband made the comment this weekend that he thinks I should quit going. When I first began seeing my current therapist, I was doing really well, but then had a dip in motivation/progress that's lasted a little too long. I'm feeling better now, but since he said that, I wonder if maybe therapy just isn't going to be worth it. His point was, "It really hasn't been helping you anymore".

Is it normal to lose motivation during therapy progress? My eldest graduated high school and then we had a trip back to see our families - there was a lot of normal life things going on at the time and I had a hard time adjusting to it. ..But isn't therapy supposed to give you tools or resiliency to "adjust"? I still have my usual anxiety when working on my case, and NO therapy has helped with that.

I don't know. When do you know it's time to end therapy? Not to continue with someone else - just to be done with it?

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Nightingale View Post
    Le sigh.

I've been in therapy on-and-off (more on) for about 2.5 years for PTSD, anxiety and depression. Initially, I had high hopes for therapy, but after two quit, another was seriously religious - more than I'm comfortable with - I'm on my fourth. I like her well enough, and she respects my wishes regarding what treatment forms I'm comfortable with.

My husband made the comment this weekend that he thinks I should quit going. When I first began seeing my current therapist, I was doing really well, but then had a dip in motivation/progress that's lasted a little too long. I'm feeling better now, but since he said that, I wonder if maybe therapy just isn't going to be worth it. His point was, "It really hasn't been helping you anymore".

Is it normal to lose motivation during therapy progress? My eldest graduated high school and then we had a trip back to see our families - there was a lot of normal life things going on at the time and I had a hard time adjusting to it. ..But isn't therapy supposed to give you tools or resiliency to "adjust"? I still have my usual anxiety when working on my case, and NO therapy has helped with that.

I don't know. When do you know it's time to end therapy? Not to continue with someone else - just to be done with it?
    I've been in therapy for years for past abuse and well, yes, there are times I want to quit. Usually those times are when something is really starting to hurt and rather than deal with the hurt, I want to run away. I've taken breaks, but in the long run, therapy has put me eons ahead of where I was.

Oh, but one thing ............... I absolutely hate my therapy sessions every week. I figure that if I enjoyed them, it would mean that I wasn't working hard enough.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    CalmCalm
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote chantellabella View Post
    Oh, but one thing ............... I absolutely hate my therapy sessions every week. I figure that if I enjoyed them, it would mean that I wasn't working hard enough.
    I once liked going, because it was a safe place to talk about everything and I still needed that. Anymore, however, I'm like you in this respect - I hate going. Yesterday was no exception. It's a lot of tedious work, and usually my whole Monday is blown.

But, we work on reframing and trying to quell my over-thinking, so it is beneficial.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.