Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

"She doesn't smile or say hi to coworkers" - Supervisor Critique

I'm almost a month into a great new job. Well I just got feedback from my direct supervisor that the other supervisors are concerned that I'm not friendly enough. They told her they never see me smile or say hello to the people around the office, and it makes them wonder if I'm cut out for this line of work because it's a people-oriented profession. Luckily my direct supervisor has seen me with clients and assured them that I'm very warm with them.

But apparently that's still something they want me to change. I feel like I just can't muster that right now. My supervisor told me not to take it personally, but it IS personal!Then I cried in front of her. High fives everybody..... High fives for being 24 and acting like a baby....

Anyone have an experience like this? Or just advice?
    Help.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Nobody ever told me that I may be too quiet or whatever... or "avoidant" (I'm not trying to avoid, I'm just anxious ), but I can pretty much tell when someone feels that way about me one day. And no, that's not my anxiety talking. I KNOW and am well-aware when I am not very "welcoming." People greet me differently. People act a tad bit different around me. They talk to me a bit differently. When I notice this, most of the time I try to talk more.. but much of the time it makes me more anxious than I already am. The whole time I'd be thinking "God, they must think I'm a total weirdo"... something along those lines.

I sure hope my boss never pulls me aside about this issue though. I try my best to communicate when it comes to work-related things. But I know you can't just talk about work stuff at work... in order to have a laidback environment, you should be free to talk about other things too (as long as it's appropriate for work environment, obviously).

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    NerdyNerdy
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've always sensed how people react to me too. I feel anxious around everyone I work with and I can't fake being normal for that long. Like I know the appropriate thing to do in the morning is to say good morning to everyone, but even when I'm just trying to return a greeting sometimes I'll be so quiet I know no one heard me. I'm good with clients because I work with people who have developmental disabilities and I don't feel "judged" by them.

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. -- Maya Angelou

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah much of the time when I respond good morning back, you can hardly hear me at all. I don't know what it is, but I'd be all anxious about saying "good morning" to people there.

It plain sucks. It's annoying because I worry that if I come in one day being all hyper and such, it'd make people think I'm fake since I'm usually rather quiet and such.

Boy, anxiety is a bitch.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Trying to function at work can be so difficult

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.