Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Anime lists and recommendations

Does anybody else watch anime? I've made a few posts about some I've watched but haven't really seen anybody else mention anything in response.

Here's what I've watched, asterisk beside the ones I really recommend!

• Cowboy Bebop *
    • Samurai Champloo
    • Code Geass
    • Gurren Lagann
    • Death Note *
    • Elfen Lied *
    • No Game No Life *
    • Kill la Kill *
    • Fate/Zero *
    • Sword Art Online *
    • Attack on Titan *
    • Toradora! - Really good, basically just a drama the whole way through though.

I'm just about to start Haganai on a friend's recommendation, so far he's been pretty spot on. I asked for something not so heart-string-pulling after getting my feeling pummelled by Toradora! so I hope I can put the tissues away

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ooo good list! I used to obsessively watch anime. Here's a few recommendations.

Ghost in the Shell: SAC - Not the films (although they're good too) but the series. I love these and have watched them so many times. Interesting story arcs, good character development. They're my favourite.
    XXXHolic - Only seen the first season as I'm struggling to find the next one on DVD. The main character is really irritating at first but stick with it.
    Shikabane Hime - "Corpse princess" Lots of monster killing goodness.
    The girl that lept through time - Good film.
    Happiness - If you want a silly and fun anime that doesn't have too many feels, this is a good one.
    Ouran High School Host Club - Also very silly but I've found many I recommend it to don't see the humour.

Inscrutable Banana's Avatar Diggin' My Potatoes
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Ergo Proxy, Serial Experiments Lain, Durarara!!, Initial D, Trigun, Full Metal Alchemist, Welcome to the N.H.K., Planetes.

Monowheat mentioned the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series which I also recommend (along with the movies). Also, since you've seen the Cowboy Bebop series you should also check out the movie.
    “Scratch any cynic and you will find a disappointed idealist.” — George Carlin

"If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little." — George Carlin

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    i'm appalled no one mentioned Naruto love that stuff, never ended up keeping up with it but they've made a ton of seasons as well as a few movies and everything. really great story

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I've heard of Ghost in the Shell before, keep forgetting about it though. I'll add it to my to-watch list. Right now I'm looking at Haganai, Haganai NEXT, Future Diary, and now GitS: SAC. Thanks everyone!

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    My friend forgot to mention that Haganai hinges pretty heavily on Ecchi. Good thing I fell asleep on the bus today and didn't end up watching it there like I had planned

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ExhaustedExhausted
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Chloe View Post
    i'm appalled no one mentioned Naruto love that stuff, never ended up keeping up with it but they've made a ton of seasons as well as a few movies and everything. really great story
    I've been told this so many times but never got around to watching it.

Koalafan's Avatar Socially inept Koala
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Berserk....you're welcome lol

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Cowboy Bebop has to be my favourite anime of all time. See you, space cowboy...

Quote Chloe View Post
    I didn't like this series at first. It wasn't until I watched a marathon on Toonami many years ago that it started to grow on me. I also sympathize with feeling weaker and not being viewed as valuable as others, and doing what you can to defy and overcome it. The series has some enjoyable characters, and the earlier sagas, to me, stand out. Orochimaru, the first real villain of the series, is just such a fascinating character to watch. Finally, the series was about persevering, working hard to overcome a situation, and having the guts to do what was necessary. Unfortunately, this begins to be phased out later on, especially in Shippuden.

As for my other recommendations:

Surprised that nobody has mentioned Neon Genesis Evangelion yet. The series is often hailed for its psychological depth and complex characters, but it's true quality lies in its innovative direction and daring writing. The deconstruction of the own genre and even the medium gradually increases during the series until it reaches its cataclysmic and iconoclastic climax, that has not been repeated ever since in its intensity. The central theme of the show actually is a quite traditional Japanese theme: the conflict of the individual with the society, updated with the sense of dispair in the contemporary youth. It's the supreme masterpiece of anime without any serious contender, and it thrones majestically on top of the entire genre. It's pretty much the one anime you should have watched. For a number of reasons, this is the most important anime made during the 90s and possibly of all time.

The Tatami Galaxy - The butterfly effect: the series is constructed around grotesque high concept scenarios, with depiction of various choices of the club the protagonist participates in. The respective episode usually end with him regretting his decision and the episode being magically reversed. It's an "alternate reality/parallel universe" narrative with a complex story, so you will likely need a few episodes to understand what's going on - it's worth investing. In some way it's the spiritual successor to Kazuya Tsurumaki's FLCL as it makes similar use of ridiculous pacing manipulation ranging from breakneck speed to dozens of seconds of halt. Yusuke Nakamura's character design ranks among the best the genre has ever seen. I'd highly recommend this series, at only twelve episodes.

FLCL - The impressive animations and downright ingenious directing justify multiple viewings. This series is particularly notable for its innovative take on anime influenced by cartoons, maxing out of various anime tropes and wents deep into experimentalism regarding the medium's limitations. Maybe more interesting for a film student than to the anime consumer, methinks. For music fans this might be interesting as the power pop/alt-rock soundtrack of the Pillows achieved iconic status on its own and is partly responsible for the powerful impact of the series.

It's frequently cited as a cult favorite; a status I will support without hesitation. But be warned: you should have watched some more accessible works for context before going on to this schizophrenic rampage. I first watched it when I hit that super awkward and confusing transition that is puberty. It resonated with me perfectly in a way that Naota was like any other boy struck by the Vespa-woman. As I got older, I picked up more things that I never even got before. It is the once anime I can think of that truly aged with me.

Paranoia Agent - I love Satoshi Kon's work. The character-driven series is remarkable for its multilayered depth, wry humor, complex sub-plots and surreal tone; in some way making this the anime equivalent to David Lynch's Twin Peaks or Lars von Trier's Riget. Satoshi Kon's tv-series is a virtuosic blend of conventional narrative and more experimental techniques. Tons of interpretation that will keep you questioning. Great themes. I haven't finished this series yet, though.

Welcome to the N.H.K. It wouldn't be an overstatement to call this the visual bildungsroman of the lost generation and an essential watch for every anime fan. An anime gem if there ever had been one. Easily one of the most culturally reflective and relevant animes of the past decade.

Serial Experiments Lain - Avant-anime with impressive narrative by dōjinshi anarchist Yoshitoshi Abe and crafted with brilliant surrealist visuals and a dark, dense atmosphere. A cyberpunk classic for connoisseurs of arthouse cinema and likely a worthy companion to other classics of alternative and experimental anime of its age. In general, it's a forerunner to Satoshi Kon's Paranoia Agent and bridges the tech-noir of Akira with the social environment of the 2000s. The more totalitarian the internet grows, the more disturbingly prophetic this series appears.

Usually I don't care for 'slice of life' animes, but Azumanga Daioh is hilarious. Eccentric, adorable characters with idiosyncratic deadpan humor. The heavily character-driven humor interlocks with stories for the heart and meditative slice-of-life and coming-of-age portions. I kinda wish it had never ended. The comedic timing is perfect, through and through.

tl;dr I'd definitely recommend NGE, Tatami Galaxy, and FLCL.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.