Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Talking about problems?

Hello!

I'm new to Anxiety Space, and I just had a couple questions referring to my social anxiety.

Does anyone else have an excruciatingly hard time telling other people about your problems? I'm sure some of you do... but how do you get past it? I've been hospitalized, I've been in outpatient therapies, I've gone to regular therapy.. and I can't seem to tell people when I'm depressed or anxious. I can barely tell my boyfriend, but if I'm in group therapy, I just sit there in silence and wait until the time runs out. I never am able to speak.. and I fear it's hindering my chances of making progress...

I'm also never able to express how I'm feeling to my parents.. It's hard to lie to them all the time, and I can't stand the anxiety that arises when they ask me how I'm doing.

If anyone is having similar problems, I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you!

Alex

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote foreversafehere View Post
    Hello!

I'm new to Anxiety Space, and I just had a couple questions referring to my social anxiety.

Does anyone else have an excruciatingly hard time telling other people about your problems? I'm sure some of you do... but how do you get past it? I've been hospitalized, I've been in outpatient therapies, I've gone to regular therapy.. and I can't seem to tell people when I'm depressed or anxious. I can barely tell my boyfriend, but if I'm in group therapy, I just sit there in silence and wait until the time runs out. I never am able to speak.. and I fear it's hindering my chances of making progress...

I'm also never able to express how I'm feeling to my parents.. It's hard to lie to them all the time, and I can't stand the anxiety that arises when they ask me how I'm doing.

If anyone is having similar problems, I'd really appreciate the feedback.

Thank you!

Alex
    Hi Alex and welcome to the forum. There's an introduction section if you want to let others know that you are here.

I used to have problems speaking in therapy and to others about my problems. In my case, it was because I had been told my entire life to never divulge secrets, my feelings or my thoughts. It took finally feeling safe in the last therapist's office to get me to open up.

So don't beat yourself up for having trouble. Take baby steps and maybe just tell a safe person some little thing about yourself..... like your favorite color. That little start can test the waters. Depending on their reaction, if you feel you were accepted with that information, then move on to something just a tad harder.

Problems are built over time and it takes time to resolve them. Be patient with yourself. It sounds like you're working hard on your problems. That's brave.

So why don't you come say "hi" in the introduction sections, so the supportive people here can get to know you.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Cindy
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Hey,

My answer yes - I find it impossible to speak about my issues, I admire people that can speak about how they feel. Writing is my main method of communication when it comes to my issues. I used to have to keep a mood diary for my counsellor and it would involve recording events and how they made me feel. I either can't form the words to described how I feel or I physically cannot say the words. A few weeks ago I have to do an over the phone counselling session due to a work incident and I pretty much just told them I was fine as couldn't do it.

Writing has help me though, but in some ways I use it too much, I would love to learn to speak my feelings.
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I can only speak for myself. My child went through about six surgeries within a two year time span, there are people that I spoke with everyday during that period who were shocked to learn of this a few years later. I keep a lot in. I don't trust people well. I don't like a lot of people. I would love to live in a world where I would only have to deal with people I liked. I know that is unrealistic and also makes me sound like I'm a horrible person, but I have issues with people who spread malicious gossip about others. I have issues with people who steal other's joy. Meaning when someone gets good news, they find something maybe negative to point out about the good news.

I occasionally find a few friends out there in the world and they are some of the sweetest people on planet earth.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote merc View Post
    I would love to live in a world where I would only have to deal with people I liked. I know that is unrealistic and also makes me sound like I'm a horrible person, but I have issues with people who spread malicious gossip about others. I have issues with people who steal other's joy. Meaning when someone gets good news, they find something maybe negative to point out about the good news.

I occasionally find a few friends out there in the world and they are some of the sweetest people on planet earth.
    I am 100% with you. I want only people who are nice to me to exist. It's not being a horrible person. For me, it's a safety thing. I just have trouble with things I can't control when I'm feeling unsafe.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you to all of you guys for your responses. I was worried that no one would respond...

I'll definitely try to keep a thought diary on my computer from now on. I type much faster than I write, and I always am on my computer, so it'd be better than a journal on paper. And I'll also keep trying with baby steps.. as hard as that may be.

Alex

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.