Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

CBT isn't working for me :(

Hey everyone
    I've had a few CBT sessions for my social anxiety and we've covered what situations I am most uncomfortable in, drew out diagrams and fear hierarchies (I think that's what they're called) and all other stuff. I do have SA because I found out last week that I have been given a diagnosis. However I do not feel that CBT isn't helping me to deal with my SA and is more exploring what it is. I'm not sure if I should just hang on until I've completed my course or talk to my mum about stopping it :/ any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you in advance
    Sarah

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Hey sweety!

How long have you been doing CBT for?

L.x
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've done six sessions and I have one a week, so about six weeks

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    In reality that is a very short amount of time, have you long left? Have you found any of it helpful at all? Have you brought up your concerns with the person you do it with? Have you been doing your homework to your full potential?

In reality I found it good. I found a lot of the lessons took a long time to work for me and it took a lot of energy to keep going with it. when I find myself doing something that I know will benifit me but right now it feels pointless I try to recall this "the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago, then next best time is right now" you might not feel the effects right away. But slowly and surly they will start to show. I find keeping a diary helps, that way you can look back and read your progress.
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure how long I have left, we're about to start what we call "the experiments". Some of it has been helpful in understanding what makes me uncomfortable but I haven't spoken to my supervisor mostly because I'm too embarrassed maybe I could try and keep a diary, I have photocopies of all of my work that I do in my sessions which I sometimes look back on.
    Thank you for helping

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    It is very important to know that by the end of your CBT you will not be free of all your anxieties but hopefully you will have some tools that makes them easier and by using them every days they et easier and easier. It might be worth talking to him/her
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thank you very much for helping me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I feel CBT is tough

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Quote Suveer Rao View Post
    I feel CBT is tough
    It was tough for me too. I left a few sessions feeling utterly exhausted and down on myself. I was expecting a quick fix. Sadly, there is no such thing.

It helped me in the long term though, and it gave me coping mechanisms that help me when dealing with my anxieties.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.