Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Learn New Skills

Lately I've been feeling increasing discontent at how much I procrastinate and stick to the same hobbies which are no longer mentally or emotionally stimulating for me. This stagnation can't be healthy (and the literature on cognitive decline and poor mental health suggests this also). Additionally, learning new skills just makes you a more interesting person, with more well rounded experiences, and you'll probably be able to hold a conversation better.

So I'm starting this thread to encourage people to learn new skills and to be held accountable for it. It doesn't matter if you suck at the new skills you're attempting to learn. Just make an honest effort and keep trying until you make some progress. And tell us your successes and failures.

So to inspire some people, I suggest you learn:

- new recipes (the more complicated the better, and try to learn it by heart)
    - driving
    - new software
    - a new language
    - an instrument
    - coding
    - painting / drawing / photography / arts and crafts
    - sport (swimming, jogging, golf, tennis, etc)
    - strategy games (such as chess)
    - master proper grammar / spelling
    - any topic you're interested in (history, geography, astronomy, neuroscience, etc)

And anything else you can think of.

This year I did learn how to use a new software and I taught myself to do digital paintings. But I want to aim to pick up a new skill every 3 - 4 months (or if not a new skill, then simply try to master an old one, at a higher level, so I'm still being challenged) and I'll be using this thread to track my progress over time. I hope others will join me.

Ont Mon's Avatar •_•
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Great thread. I'm looking to learn a new language right now, specifically Farsi. Will probably be starting online classes on it this month.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I forgot to mention, I also finally learned how to make tiramisu this year (after putting it off for like, 3 years). Next, I'd like to learn to make beans the way my mum makes them. By next, I mean, in the month of August.

Quote Ont Mon View Post
    Great thread. I'm looking to learn a new language right now, specifically Farsi. Will probably be starting online classes on it this month.
    Niice. ( ͡° ᴥ ͡°)

Let me know when you sign up.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I like this thread - Mmmmm.....I feel like a try my hand at a lot of things but I don't stick to them long enough to call it a skill

I do want to be able to make a good Irish stew- like I know this is not a difficult dish but I have not made it before.
    I am also thinking of signing up to do a holistic massage class - I just need to see if I can get the days off work that I need

That is two things I will try do/ commence in a weeks time.
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I think I'll start learning how to cook. For starters, just basic foods like rice or beans but more eventually.

I also want to learn how to sew/use a sewing machine. I can do some very shoddy work by hand and I'd really like to be able to fix some shirts so they fit me better.
    Keep it cool. Cool people never show emotion. Keep it cool.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote FireIsTheCleanser View Post

I also want to learn how to sew/use a sewing machine. I can do some very shoddy work by hand and I'd really like to be able to fix some shirts so they fit me better.
    I would love to own a sewing machine
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    i want to learn to cook eggs without the pan needing to be hid under my bed and soaked for 36 hours before the egg residue can be scrubbed off. if i left in in the kitchen my mom kept trying to scrub it to no avail and telling me i dont know how to cook eggs. if put it under the bed, no one notices until my brother spills it by trying to pull wtf was under our bed out. i thought that next time i will just tell him, but this thread gave me a better idea, to look up how to cook eggs to not leave the egg residue behind.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Awesome thread! Thanks!
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Ont Mon View Post
    Quote L View Post
    I like this thread - Mmmmm.....I feel like a try my hand at a lot of things but I don't stick to them long enough to call it a skill

I do want to be able to make a good Irish stew- like I know this is not a difficult dish but I have not made it before.
    I am also thinking of signing up to do a holistic massage class - I just need to see if I can get the days off work that I need

Quote FireIsTheCleanser View Post
    I think I'll start learning how to cook. For starters, just basic foods like rice or beans but more eventually.

Quote enfield View Post
    i want to learn to cook eggs without the pan needing to be hid under my bed and soaked for 36 hours before the egg residue can be scrubbed off. if i left in in the kitchen my mom kept trying to scrub it to no avail and telling me i dont know how to cook eggs. if put it under the bed, no one notices until my brother spills it by trying to pull wtf was under our bed out. i thought that next time i will just tell him, but this thread gave me a better idea, to look up how to cook eggs to not leave the egg residue behind.
    Going to hold everyone accountable. Any updates? Progress?

Personally I have failed to learn to make beans this week. Will attempt again next week.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Antidote View Post
    Going to hols everyone accountable. Any updates? Progress?
    Ha ha good on you for doing that - I have requested my days off work and was granted study days so I am calling to book my place in the class on Monday. I did not do the stew thing though....and I cannot until I am off work next week!!
    life---> <---me

kc1895's Avatar KFC Hipster
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'll stick to playing more online strategy games. Does that count? Since I'm learning how to play new games...

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If you don't mind me adding to the thread
    -Repairing old bikes (if you look around you may get a free one if its in that bad of a state)
    -Making up a dance to a favourite song
    - DIYing
    - gardening
    - nature watching (varying times to see different wildlife)
    - exploring a new area of where you live via up public transport or by foot/bike
    -yoga (supposedly a good anxiety tool)
    - blogging

Myself I'm taking up photography, cycling, repairing bike (to further myself at work), walking

I have tried baking, drawing learning an instrument

In future I will learn polish as that would be a great tool in my career

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    That's so Cool maybe someone should make a thread and see how many members are multilingual

Total Eclipse's Avatar Happy Sparkles and Coffee
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    LovedLoved
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quote Chloe View Post
    That's so Cool maybe someone should make a thread and see how many members are multilingual
    That would be interesting to know!

I'm fluent in English, French and German. I can pick up key words of Slovak.... I'm also fluent with ASL (American Sign Language). and know basic of Quebec Sign Language --- Langue des signes du Québec (LSQ).

Currently, I'm messing around with the programming language "Ruby" (which I guess is a "new skill") and language... altho I am finding I HATE it.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote L View Post

I have made stew and almost completed my class - next to sign up to a nutrition class
    life---> <---me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.