Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Recognising People Online

Have any of you found people you recognised from elsewhere, (in real life or online somewhere else), in random or obscure places online?
    Just today I found someone who used to post multiple threads years ago on another forum. They were posting on a new forum about the same issue, and I had found it just because I was browsing that forum after a question I googled (on a totally unrelated topic) led me there.

This sort of thing has happened to me multiple times before. And for context, I'm only an active member of 2 forums. I've also found an old friend from highschool on another public forum (not Facebook). It's weird because what are the chances? It's kind of disconcerting how small this world seems. And I'm just curious if this happens much to others as well?

I'm putting it in this sub-forum because, it actually makes me feel quite anxious.

IllusionOfHappiness's Avatar killer of conversations
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This hasn't happened to me (yet). Probably because this is the only forum I visit.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, I used to have this nutcase who followed me around cyberspace, posting on forums I joined. She would hide her identity at first, but then the quirky way that she pissed off people and got banned always emerged. Never did figure out what her fascination was with following me. She finally disappeared ................or did she? Bwwwaahhhhaaaa! Just kidding. My friends in real life online chewed her up and spit her out. Haven't heard from her since. (btw............I'm not talking about anybody here. I picked this person /leach up back in 2007.)

As for knowing people online, I've met people in real life and referred them to forums where I go. Well, only this one now. I can recognize them, but I never let on that I know them.

I've also met many online friends in real life. It's very cool to do that because when you see them for the first time, you feel like you've been friends for ages.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    OKayOKay
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I was once browsing a brazilian site and saw an ad that had a stock photo of a danish guy that went to Uni with me in Denmark. Apparently he had done some modeling for a stock photo company so his pictures are all over the internet. I saw another photo of him again on a totally unrelated ad later on.

I've never recognized anyone on forums though. And I hope nobody has ever recognized me.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Someone on Imgur recognized me from here and sent me a message. I didn't know what they were talking about at first. If a Ms. or Mr. "frozencloud" could reveal themselves, I would appreciate that.
    Keep it cool. Cool people never show emotion. Keep it cool.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Yeah I stumbled on someone on another forum who is on a third other forum I use, I recognised their avatar plus what they were talking about. I also saw someone's profile picture on another forum I'm on and recognised them from Facebook - I didn't have them added but they were friends with someone on my friends list. On Facebook I've also had friends who have ended up being somehow connected to other people I've met while living elsewhere, that's always pretty weird... 6 degrees of separation or something.

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    A while back I was a member of a certain other site. Over time, the atmosphere of that certain other site changed, and it becamse less and less for me. A lot of the people and names I knew from that site left when the atmosphere changed. The site became a different place.

A couple of months after the change of atmosphere, I got fed up with that site, and left. I was unwell at the time, and looked for another anxiety related support forum to join. I tried out a few, but they didn't work for me. I remembered that someone had spammed the URL to this place over certain other forum a few months back. I didn't know who, but when I came here, I was rather surprised to recognize a bunch of people from the other forum.

Whoever it was that spammed this places web address over at the other place...well, I'm glad I found this place.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    a guy that i knew from pojo (trading card game forum) for years, even before i joined sas, started posting on sas randomly like a year ago. only for a little whie. i knew because of the way he typed and his name which is cory r. he is a really nice guy. i kinda miss him and wanna talk to him and i have his email, and i tried to get him to come back to pojo but he didn't want to. he knows all about message board software and design. and he has a bunch of wisdom about life. not too many times did i run into people across forums besides this other guy who usually goes by simfish and inquilinekea but he signs up and posts at every forum and uses parrots in all his avatars.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.