Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yelling Makes It Worse

I've got general anxiety and social anxiety and ever since I was little, I could never handle when someone was yelling at me or someone else. My anxiety has been getting worse over the years and now it gets to the point where I panic when someone even wants to talk to me because I'm so worried about whether they're going to yell at me or not. In class, I panic a lot when teachers even begin to get upset or frustrated even when it's not directed towards me because I feel like if I move a muscle, they'll go off on me. Even walking down the halls or in any public place, I worry I'll accidentally bump into someone and they'll just start shouting at me. Does this happen to anyone else because I feel like the only one that worries about someone yelling at them... Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
    I'm reaching for a hand that doesn't know I'm drowning

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ScaredScared
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    makes perfect sense. i get really upset when men start shouting, i've only heard my boyfriend shout properly twice in our 4 year relationship and both times really freaked me out. i can handle friendly yelling and loudness but if there's no good humour or its not clearly conveyed as joking i get very tense and upset

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Yes, I get very upset when people start to raise their voice. I guess it has a lot to do with your thinking and how you handle the situation in your head. I often have to tell myself that I cannot change the situation but I can control how I react to it. Are you getting any help with your anxieties?
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    DepressedDepressed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm seeing a therapist and I've scheduled an appointment for a med eval because it's gotten pretty bad to the point that I can't get homework done. I'm also going to start going to a group therapy thing soon. But I understand what you mean with the yelling. I just freak out because I know I can't control what they say or do so I'm never sure what to say or do. Also, it's terrifying knowing they could say something to intentionally try to hurt me.
    I'm reaching for a hand that doesn't know I'm drowning

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    You're not alone. I cringe at people yelling also. And I brace for it also like you seem to do.

I'm glad you're getting some help. And there's lots of support here. People have been there.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    After years and years of dealing with my parents screaming at me over everything, I cannot stand it when someone yells at me either. And yes, it does make me a bit anxious as well when someone else is being yelled at. I remember when I was younger, whenever a teacher would yell at me... I didn't know what to do at all but laugh (tried not to laugh, at least). It was an awkward reaction. None of it was funny, but somehow laughing in response was some sort of automatic reaction for me. It's still weird to me. I don't think I get that way... nowadays, I'm even more sensitive so I'd just feel like going into a corner and cry somewhere.

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.