Thread: The curse

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The curse

I have suffered from anxiety since my earliest memory as a child . Being born in the early 1960s not much was known of anxiety ..I just thought I was a coward to be always nervous and would never dare to tell of my feelings of fear. Instead I suffered a bad stomach or a headache to avoid the feelings of stress .I grew to hate myself for not being able to control my feelings of fear or doom .MY father was a USMC master gunnery Sargent a true man in my eyes and I was nothing but a nervous squid. My teenage years lead to alcohol and drugs that gave me fake courage only to crash hard once the effect wore off. I have made many horrible descion s in my life based on my Anxiety's .Never one to stand up for myself or wanting to rock the boat only leading to more failure more disappointment more self hate . I've done all I could to face my fears I have worked in correctional facilities for 10 years I have worked in one of the worst places in Nj (Camden) for another 10. All to somehow prove I'm not a coward. None of this has helped me I take medication now but at 53 years old I still find myself feeling like that little boy of past .Only more depressed and more backed into a corner with my career (I've been with the same company 23 years) I'm afraid and feel alone even tho I have family who cares .I've been married twice and have had 3 heart attacks before 45 years old . I'm tired of the daily fight the dread of waking up to go do what you hate . it never goes away always running in the background always there . I don't know what my point is in writing this since I never do such things.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Hi tinman, you just described my life in a nutshell. I am 52 years of age and I have made some horrific decisions due to anxiety which I am still paying for today. I worked as a bouncer in nightclubs to rid myself of the fear inside me and I classed myself as a coward as well. It helped a little but it never fully took away the fear inside me. I am now at the stage where I can clearly see the adverse effects this illness has had on my life and I don't see a cure in sight. I hate waking up in the morning and doing the same mundane jobs. I have tried everything, gave up alcohol,drugs,smoking,changed citioes & countries,career change, medication etc. I now know that it's not going away so I am contemplating moving back to a country where I had free healthcare and maybe smoke pot again as it helped me greatly before. This is a living hell.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @anglonorman im sorry to hear that it is something you would not wish on anyone .Especially when you get to our age and look back with regret and are just tired from all of it . Hang in my friend

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Thank you tinman, I wish all the best for you as well.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Has anyone else experienced having a deadline at work but the anxiety of it makes you procrastinate till your backed in the corner then you get depressed for procrastinating and hate yourself more ? Even if you know your doing it you dont stop it

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    HyperHyper
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I tend to meet my deadlines. It's when I have to depend on others to do their part that I get anxious. Like I'll get my part of a project done months in advance, and then when others wait till the last minute for their part, I end up rushing to turn in the finished product. I hate working under stress of getting it finished, and so I'm freaking out at the procrastinator for putting me behind. I guess I'm the other side of your procrastination. I just hate being rushed to do anything because then I make big mistakes.
    The Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.