Sagan's Avatar Carl Sagan
    Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

More Trouble for Antioxidants

Antioxidants are now an iconic example of premature hype making its way into marketing and the public consciousness long before the science is adequately understood. There are multiple lessons to be learned in this story, and a new study just emphasizes those lessons further.

The new study

With this background, a recent study published in Nature concerning antioxidants and metastatic cancer should not be a surprise.

The study is based on the observation that with solid tumors, like melanoma, there is frequent dissemination of cancer cells through the blood (metastasis) but these cells are very inefficient at establishing a metastatic tumor. One reason for this is the immune system using ROS to essentially kill metastatic cells before they can be established. They found that cancer cells that do establish tumors tend to have mutations that make them resistant to oxidative stress.

Most relevant to this topic, however, they found that in mice exogenous antioxidants promoted distant metastasis. This suggests that if you have cancer and you take antioxidants, your chance of developing metastases is greater. Keep in mind most solid tumor are usually present for 2-3 years before they are diagnosed, so the risk potentially exists even for those who have not yet been diagnosed with cancer.

This has alarming implications given the popularity of antioxidant supplements.
    Lessons

To emphasize the lessons from this iconic story of supplement industry misadventure:

-The body is complex, and we should be skeptical of any simplistic notions of the effects of our interventions

-We need to respect the natural homeostatic mechanisms that evolved and not think that we can easily improve them

-More is not always better

-Be skeptical of clinical claims based on pre-clinical or basic science; until we study an intervention’s net health effects, we cannot really know what they will be

-We have yet more evidence that for the average person the best advice is to eat a well-rounded diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, but extra supplements (and especially high dose supplements) are like unnecessary and even counterproductive.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...-antioxidants/
    http://youtu.be/zSgiXGELjbc

"A still more glorious dawn awaits
    Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
    A morning filled with 400 billion suns
    The rising of the milky way"

"The sky calls to us
    If we do not destroy ourselves
    We will one day venture to the stars" -Carl Sagan

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    I had a smoothie once that had a large amount of them apparently. Didn't do anything except give me diarrhoea
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.