Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

A lot of anxiety patients may have ALPIM syndrome?

I don't think this is well known yet among physicians, but a new disorder called ALPIM syndrome has been identified, from the article:

Research by Jeremy D. Coplan, MD, professor of psychiatry at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, and colleagues has documented a high rate of association between panic disorder and four domains of physical illness. The research could alter how physicians and psychiatrists view the boundaries within and between psychiatric and medical disorders.
    In the study, published in the Journal of Neuropsychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, the researchers proposed the existence of a spectrum syndrome comprising a core anxiety disorder and four related domains, for which they have coined the term ALPIM:

A = Anxiety disorder (mostly panic disorder);

L = Ligamentous laxity (joint hypermobility syndrome, scoliosis, double-jointedness, mitral valve prolapse, easy bruising);

P = Pain (fibromyalgia, migraine and chronic daily headache, irritable bowel syndrome, prostatitis/cystitis);

I = Immune disorders (hypothyroidism, asthma, nasal allergies, chronic fatigue syndrome); and

M = Mood disorders (major depression, Bipolar II and Bipolar III disorder, tachyphylaxis. Two thirds of patients in the study with mood disorder had diagnosable bipolar disorder and most of those patients had lost response to antidepressants).
    For example, joint laxity was observed in 59.3% of patients in the study compared with a prevalence of approximately 10% to 15% in the general population; fibromyalgia was observed in 80.3% of the subjects compared with approximately 2.1% to 5.7% in the general population; and allergic rhinitis was observed in 71.1% of subjects, whereas its prevalence is approximately 20% in the general population.
    Thought this would be interesting to post in case others here identify with it. Source:
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0709132642.htm

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ColdCold
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Yeah thats one that sounds a lot like me.

Diagnosed with Panic Disorder, IBS, and Bipolar II. Also seem to easily bruise and have a lovely dust allergy.

Anyone know what Bipolar III is though? Never heard of it before, thought there was only Bipolar I and II, and then Cyclothymic disorder on the bipolar spectrum.
    I'M GONNA FIGHT 'EM ALL
    A SEVEN NATION ARMY COULDN'T HOLD ME BACK.......

Antidote's Avatar Rude & Shouty
    Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Otherside View Post
    Yeah thats one that sounds a lot like me.

Diagnosed with Panic Disorder, IBS, and Bipolar II. Also seem to easily bruise and have a lovely dust allergy.

Anyone know what Bipolar III is though? Never heard of it before, thought there was only Bipolar I and II, and then Cyclothymic disorder on the bipolar spectrum.
    I wasn't sure either so I looked it up. According to medscape:
    In cyclothymic disorder (sometimes unofficially called bipolar III), a person has hypomanias (as in bipolar II disorder) that alternate frequently with brief periods of depression. When present, though, the symptoms of depression do not last long enough and involve enough symptoms to define major depression as a full syndrome.
    Source: http://www.webmd.com/bipolar-disorde...rum-categories

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.