Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Anxiety and Alcohol addiction

Hi all,
    I am Dora. I am new here. I am from British Columbia. I am depressed and down. I don't know what to do. I am getting angry for silly things and feeling tensed too. Mum said I am showing signs of anxiety. What should I do? The only companion I am having now is alcohol. It's very difficult for me to complete a day without alcohol. Because it is only alcohol that is giving some sort of relief in his situation. My alcoholic usage is more troubling my mum. She finds it more problematic and she has already fixed an appointment for an addiction treatment ( http://www.edgewood.ca/inpatient-addiction-treatment ) at Edgewood. What should I do? Should I undergo addiction treatment or an anxiety treatment? And it is only because of anxiety that I am taking help of alcoholic. I am badly in need of a suggestion. I need my friends here to help me take the right decision.
    Sorry for making it long.
    Thanks for reading.

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quote dora View Post
    Welcome, Dora I'm sorry to hear about what you are going through. You said that you use alcohol as a relief for the depression, have you thought about seeking treatment for depression? A doctor and therapist can help you with therapy and medication. This might help you more than just addiction treatment as taking away the reason you turn to alcohol would help keep you off it in the long-term.

And definitely consider yourself a welcomed new member of our community

Forum Addiction:

I'm feeling
    ContentContent
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Hey Dore, welcome. I agree with jerry. There is not point in treating one difficulty at a time as each can effect the other causing a cycle. From what you have said it sounds like you have support from your mum, that's really great and you have good insite, that will be really positive towards the route you choose to care for yourself. Xx
    life---> <---me

Forum Addiction:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Dora, and welcome to Anxiety Space... My name is Chuck...

Many people use alcohol to "medicate" their anxiety and/or depressive disorders. While this might provide an individual with some initial relief, it is only temporary, as alcohol is a depressant and therefore only merely hides the symptoms or anxiety/depression for a short period of time. And alcohol causes a spiral effect, with thing only getting worse as time passes. My dad had a terrible anxiety problem, he became an alcoholic, and drank himself to death at the age of 42.

I suffer from Panic Disorder with Panic Attacks, and so does my brother, so it runs in my family. I too developed a chemical dependency problem, alcohol and drugs, but sought help when I was 37. I have been a member of Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.), for 26 years now, but that is another story.

Sounds like you have a fantastic mom, who loves you very much. Use your health care system all you can to help you. I have a psychiatrist that I see every 3 to 4 months, and a great therapist that taught me cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). I attend A.A. meetings at least once a week, and just love them. Such great people there. They are like family to me.

Better days are around the corner, and all you have to do is work for them. You have a great attitude, so go for it! I haven't had a drink in over 26 years, and am free of anxiety. Life is good, no, GREAT!

The very best to you, Dora!... Chuck

Made with <3
Anxiety Space is not a replacement for a fully qualified doctor.